Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

which of these do you recommend for use in a HTPC?

8500le?

8500?

9000?

9100?

9200?

Thanks for the advice...

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is one of those questions that create the immediate response, What do you want to do with it?

If you wish to have a NTSC quality Digital VCR capability, you will want one of the AIW (All In Wonder) versions, since they have the TV tuner built in and support the GemStar TV Guide integration without a monthly fee (a Tivo kind of capability).

If you are only using an NTSC display (and not a VGA or better monitor) the Gemstar Guide will not be very usable since the Guide will not be readable at interlaced NTSC resolution, possibly S-Video would work.

If you are hooking to a TV (NTSC or S-Video) and to a computer monitor, or want Video capture in as well as an NTSC Tuner, then the AIW 8500DV would be my choice.

If you play lots of games, the 9700 series might be your best bet (or if you need Component Output and DVI output at the same time).

If you want your system to be very quiet, then one of the lower speed ATI cards, or one of the fanless ones might be of interest.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
basically, it is used to replace my current matrox g550.

it will be used to power a LCD and a normal TV.

Dont think i need a AIW.

I seldom play games.

the 9700 is waaay off budget :)

So which do you recommend?

Basically deciding between a 9000 pro and a 8500 now.

btw which models are fanless?

Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know the 8500 has a fan because I have one. But my case has 3 blowing fans (3 of them I left unplugged. 6 total haha. It would sound like an airport if I had them plugged in. Only reason I have that many in the first place is because they were free). My case fans make more noise than the video card. So to me I don't think it is really that loud. I would assume that the 8500 is cheaper though since it is an older product despite the fact they probably have the same abilities (I don't know the exact prices).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The 9000 is basically a revamped 7500. So all points the same I'd go for the 8500 if all you want is a decent video card to display Svideo or use the component adapter (or a transcoder).

I picked up an 8500 LE 64MB card for $130cdn a couple months ago and it's been a great card. I will be getting a 7500 or 8500 AIW for my HTPC though since I want to use the PVR functionality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.