AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for instructions on hacking the registry for a Radeon 9000 pro running on XP to allow 1280x720 resolution. I've found for other OSes, but they're not quite right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
The info's been posted here many times, but probably the best place to get it is over at http://www.rage3d.com/radeon/reg/index5.shtml . On my machine, the particular registry key wasn't where this info describes. I had to use the search function in regedit to find it. Made the change and -wow- my 507W looks amazing. One quirk is that my display properties now has only two options 800x600 and 1280x720.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I don't have a 9000 but for all previous versions if you add a new custom resolution via PS and re-boot when prompted (to see if windows and the drivers accepts it) it has then been an available mode to both PS and the ATI drivers. I'd be real surprised if ATI has discontinued support for a 1280x720 mode with the 9000 pro but maybe I'm full of it as I don't have any direct experience with a 9000. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Dave

·
Registered
797 Posts
Indeed, if you ask Powerstrip to do so, the Custom Resolution you define will also be added to this Registry Key. Where you may be befuddled is that Powerstrip only "knows" about some cards. Perhaps your particular card is not in that list. Not to worry, the Registry Hack will work anyway...

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
You need to properly ID your display device. Add a monitor under display/settings/advanced or through the Add Hardware control panel.

Your display device should have an INF file that matches it resolutions or other comprable ones can be found. Powerstrip will let you finetine refresh rates, etc.

Tim

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to stay away from PS unless I need it. From all other posts I've read this reg edit is easy, but I can't find xp info for the location of the key to change. Win98 and Win2000 are there, but neither tells the spot.

I also tried searching but found it in a few spots.. so I wasn't sure where to do it. If anyone has does this edit in XP I'd really love to hear.

rudolpht, are you saying that if I id my display device I should see other rez settings available?

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
yup. You should see more ticks that allow the appropriate settings. If your device is "plug & play" the Plug & Play monitor inf should give the right pixel ratios. If not another inf should be substitutable and tweaked.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Bystone,

If you use Powerstrip make sure you have the latest version. The 9700 and 9500 were just supported in the last update which came out on 12/07/02. The version you have must support the 9000 before you can add custom resolutions.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
I'll do a search. I remember seeing a suggestion of a monitor that supported just about everything, I just can't remember it off the top of my head. I would also check the Yami site to see if they may have one. The Pioneers all have INFs.

Nothing in my search, and someone else was looking for a generic one lately too. If your target is 1280x720, then there should be many HTPC users not using the plug & play monitor driver that can send you one. I have a Plasma inf, but it is 1280x768, so it will not help.

Tim

·
Registered
4,484 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No luck yet... My PJ natively does 1280x720, so you would think I could find something that would work. I wish there were reg. hacks for XP.. Hmm...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's weird, my Samsung monitor 171v on my work pc, with onboard video, shows 1280x720 as an option. So I use the driver for this monitor on my HTPC and it isn't on the list.

Very odd...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I tested powerstrip but got some ugly results. IT looked like the image was just "stretched" instead of being a native resolution. And the left and bottom were "out of view" on the display.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.