AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the internet and found others (with ATI Radeon Cards) having the same problem below, but couldn't find any answers.

I am rebuilding my HTPC and it is ONLY hooked up to my Sony TV via S-Video (no Catalyst driver yet), which works great until I try to install ANY of the Catalyst drivers. After installing the driver, it reboots and the Catalyst driver runs its diagnotistics upon starting up. I never get past the loading Windows XP screen. The screen flickers a couple times (probably the tests), pauses a little bit, and then reboots.

What is the secret for getting S-Video ONLY working with the Catalyst drivers?

I sure some of you have run into this before, so thanks in advance for your replies!

-Stach

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well Stach I accidentally found out that my HTPC CAN boot with only Svideo-TV connected to it..... I had my HS10...send for repair when I turned on my HTPC just to find out that my second CLONE TV monitor was still working....... Ok this maybe setup specific: AIW8500, Cat 3.2 Svideo-TV in clone mode Theater mode XP SR1 with already another monitor (HS10 ) for primary monitor. In other threads I have read that some ATI cards (I think 9600??) Can't boot with only Svideo. Others also propose a simple electronic circuit that mimmicks a monitor durin boot
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=274451
http://www.modasylum.com/modules.php...&pid=57&page=1

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have this exact same problem! It took hours to get my fanless 9600pro to boot up with S-video alone. The only way i could get it to work was to have another monitor hooked up along with your s-video. Use the ATI cd and install the drivers. When you go into the control panel to kill the monitor and enable only the s-video, you have to do this in only one specific sequence (which i sadlly didn't write down). Ex. do all of your changes (like making the TV the primary monitor etc.), then unplug the monitor and reboot. You can alway use safemode to remove the drivers and redo it if you need to. This can be done,....you just have to find the right sequence of changes in the control panel before you reboot.

Samsonite

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Brad, I tried, to no avail, for a couple hours last night to get my HTPC running as S-Video only. I had it working a couple weeks ago, but my HD died and I didn't have a current backup. This time I'm using Drive Image to store images of my system to a firewire HD, so if/when I finally get it working, I'll several "restore points" that I can fall back to.

If you remember the sequence or have any more insight, as to how to get S-Video ONLY working, please share. I, like you, had this working once on a previous build, but it would be virtually impossible to document as you just keep trying minor changes, over and over, until blam, it amazingly just works one time and you are shocked that it did.

Thanks again for the reply!

-Stach

P.S. Anyone else, please feel free to chime in with a solution as this seems to be a recurring problem/theme.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just wanted to note that I'm having exactly the same problem with

Catalyst 3.8 and an ATI 9600 (non-pro). It was working fine

with 3.2, but 3.2 had an OpenGL problem that caused game crashes.

The good news is, 3.8 OpenGL fixes the crash, the bad news is,

I can only boot with a VGA monitor attached.

ATI's support is laughable. I emailed and received a list of

canned responses that had nothing to do with my problem. I'm

still within 30 days of purchase, so I could call their support

without charge, but it sounds like that would be pointless as well.

Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.