AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using IWill XP333-R with Super Audio Kit and ATI 8500DV.

S/PDIF is enabled and working for everything except this... only after plugging into the speaker out jack on the mobo and switching to analog on the receiver and I get sound. Is there anyway to change this? Why wouldn't the audio from the ATI TV go to my default S/PDIF digital connection?

Stephen? Any thoughts?

thanks.

c b j

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
c'mon... someone should at least be able to tell me how I can configure this to loop back to S/PDIF...

anyone?

Is this another ATI driver issue? Is it hardware specific? Is it my stupidity?

Tell me... I can handle the truth. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hi chuckb_jr

I don't have much to offer, but no one else has yet and I'm free! :)

This sounds like something to do with either a setting or the design of the IWill XP333-R with Super Audio Kit.

Since your getting the TV audio when connected to your IWill's analog line-out, you probably already have the ATI correctly setup, but just in case ...

1. Make sure the analog 'line-out' from the ATI card is connected to IWill's analog 'line-in'. (ATI's tv audio only comes out the ATI card's analog line-out).

2. Verify that 'line-in' is the connector chosen in ATI's TV Initialization Wizard.

Assuming the above is ok ...

1. Doublecheck your IWill w/ Super Audio Kit's settings. I've never worked with this so I don't know what to say, except look for thing like 'digital output' checkboxes, unmute line-in etc ...

2. Check the IWill documentation to make sure that it can take an analog signal from its input and output the signal as digital (pcm).

If you end up contacting IWill on this, make sure you mention that you are looking to send a digital pcm signal to your receiver that is using an analog signal from it's line-in as the source.

Good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
This may be stupid, and I'm sure someone will tell me so, but isn't TV sound input on the DV analog in? So unless it converts it (ie watching a recording) wouldn't the analog out be logical, and even preferable, considering the sound doesn't have to go to an extra A/D D/A step to get to your analog speakers?

Ken

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Continuum37
This may be stupid, and I'm sure someone will tell me so, but isn't TV sound input on the DV analog in? So unless it converts it (ie watching a recording) wouldn't the analog out be logical, and even preferable, considering the sound doesn't have to go to an extra A/D D/A step to get to your analog speakers?

Ken
I think I understand what you're saying, but just to make sure let me restate it:

The TV audio comes out the ATI 8500DV line-out, and should be fed into a line-in (soundcard, receiver, powered speakers, etc....) - and since this starts out as analog from the ATI card, it would be best to feed the receiver with it still as analog.

Assuming I understood right, I agree on a theoretical basis ... the fewer A/D D/A conversions the better. This is a good point. However, I'm not sure if the degradation caused by (1) A to D followed by a D to A would be noticeable given the state of most tv stereo audio, which doesn't really seem 'hi fi' to me to begin with.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
call me lazy but the main issue here is that I don't want to have to hit a button on receiver anytime I want to go from Windows to ATI TV and vice-versa... besides in some A/B comparisons with captured sources (from ATI TV) and live TV, the captured blows live out of the water... I was watching the Nets/Celts game last night and had to have my receiver jacked to hear it... when I went to shutdown (forgetting to turn the levels down) I almost blew myself out of the house. :) I don't much know about D/A A/D or whatever, I just know what I hear and when I hear those ATI VCR playbacks versus what I heard when recording it, I get the impression that I'll have to start watching TV in the past. :)

I'm in contact with ATI now... there has to be something with that dongle... and I will be contacting IWill next.

Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.