AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an xp pro pc with ati tv wonder, it works fine on the xp pc, however I have a wireless laptop with 2000 on it and when I remote desktop to the xp pc, when I launch the TV it just gets an hour glass for a second then nothing happens, no TV. I thought it would be fun to watch tv via wireless anywhere in my house. I can use zoomplayer etc to watch a dvd, however no tv, anyone else trying this?

I don't understand why this doesn't work because RD is just a projection of the xp pc, everything else works fine.

By the way, I have a 11MBPS wireless linksys setup, video and sound with a dvd is choppy, not enough bandwidth. I think I am going to upgrade to 54 802.11g and that should do it I hope.

I tried ATI, they say... and I quote

"Regarding using remote desktop to access system with TV on it:

This product is not a network product and is not designed to work

through a network. If you are having difficulty with the TV player on the

system on which it is installed, please let us know the issue.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards..."

boy, thats bad.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can't. The TV card uses an overlay. Remote desktop can't project the overlay over the network. Using an overlay means your tvcard projects the image directly into the videocard memory (or something like that). It needs a lot of memory for that too. (The higher the resolution and colour depth, the more). Now, your wireless network ik capable of doing what? 4 to 5 mb/second? It's just not possible.

Havn't you noticed Remote Desktop isn't all that smooth, even when using a 10/100 wire network? It has problems enough keeping up when you use 16 bit colours. Let alone a fast moving image.

Some TV-cards are capable of switching beteen "overlay" and "primary". This resolves compatibility issues with videocards that can't handle the overlay. If you had one of those (Hauppauge cards can do it), then you would be able to get a 1 frame / 5 seconds image across. But considering your tv cards is stuck on the videocard, there's no need for it. So my guess is that ATI didn't even include that option.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, I understand the issue now. Yes, I know its not that smooth, what I was saying about my wireless network it currently its running at 11mbps, and when I play an avi using zoomplayer or whatever, its choppy with lag, and sound is choppy etc, not good at all. I do have a wired card in the laptop I am going to connect and try it at 100 mbps to see how good it is, if its good enough then I may upgrade my wireless to 802.11g and try the 54mbps. I am sure someone out here is tring 54mbps wireless to their htpc, maybe someone can attest to how it works running an avi over the network, if transfer speed is good enough to run the AV like normal operation.

Anyone using .11g yet, whats your experience?

·
Registered
104 Posts
If it's choppy with a wire, you'll never get it smooth with wireless. Remote Desktop is just not designed for it. Have you tried another application like PC Anywhere?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
like I said, I have not tried it with the wired card yet, but your correct. If it doesn't work well with the wired avenue, I may try pc anywhere, or tight vnc.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brastaj
I tried ATI, they say... and I quote

"Regarding using remote desktop to access system with TV on it:

This product is not a network product and is not designed to work

through a network. If you are having difficulty with the TV player on the

system on which it is installed, please let us know the issue.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards..."

boy, thats bad.
Actually, it seems pretty reasonable. You're trying to do something with their product that it was not intended to do and they don't support this.

In theory, what you propose should be possible, but IMHO, your approach is wrong. You don't need remote access to the full desktop, just a window that will stream the picture from the TV tuner. Something like what is used with a webcam would be probably more suitable than a remote application like RD or PCAnywhere.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The amount of bandwidth available for the RDP protocol (what remote desktop uses) is not very much and was never intended for passing that kind of video over it. In this case it's not a limitation of your network connection it's a limitation of your protocol. If you were playing that file over the network (not through an RDP client connection) then it would likely play a lot smoother.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brastaj
By the way, I have a 11MBPS wireless linksys setup, video and sound with a dvd is choppy, not enough bandwidth. I think I am going to upgrade to 54 802.11g and that should do it I hope.
Go to your HTPC, remove the DVD, put it in your laptop and play it..

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Azol
Go to your HTPC, remove the DVD, put it in your laptop and play it..
Seems like the obvious solution, doesn't it? :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will reply to a few posts here:

As to the response I got from ATI, I don't think its reasonable, I think they should know and understand their own issues, and could have told me why it wouldn't work, I wouldn't have to come here to figure it out. I think they take the easy way out with the 'we don't support this' generic response. Way to eeeek out of it ATI, it just tells me thier support doesn't go the extra mile to understand how their product works on technologies that are newer than the release date of thier product. I guess when a new OS comes out I should expect the same response then.

As to putting my DVD in my laptop, no its not the obvious choice and its stupid idea in my opinion, I am not just talking about dvd, any file or streaming video, you want me to weigh myself down where ever I go with my wireless laptop so I will have to carry a bunch of DVDs with me, no I think not. Your kinda defeating the purpose of a wireless laptop aren't you. You must carry an extra 40 lbs of gear with you when you go somewhere with your laptop don't you? Its easy to back a dvd up to a server and just watch them over the network, like a poster already alluded to here. Cowtown is right about the dvd, its a file on the network I should open from the laptop with a player, that way its only transferring file data, and not trying to keep up with an entire pc screen and its data, not enough bandwidth. Remote desktop is nice to do quick easy things to a pc when I don't want to walk to the basement and do it locally. When you have a few tykes running around, trust me, this is a great tool within your house, on a wireless network, just base pc operations work great.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Quote:
As to the response I got from ATI, I don't think its reasonable, I think they should know and understand their own issues, and could have told me why it wouldn't work, I wouldn't have to come here to figure it out. I think they take the easy way out with the 'we don't support this' generic response. Way to eeeek out of it ATI, it just tells me thier support doesn't go the extra mile to understand how their product works on technologies that are newer than the release date of thier product. I guess when a new OS comes out I should expect the same response then.
Well I can't agree with you here. I think there response while curt was pretty much the right one. You can't expect a company like ATI to go into minute technical detail to everyone who asks them why they can't use XX with XX product.

At any rate you have your solution, don't use RDP to view the AVI & MPG files over the network. I have "streamed" videos over the network from my file server and it works great. That was over a wired connection mind you, I haven't tried it over wireless and would say that it should work however depending on your wireless gear itself you could experience some dropouts here and there due to how wireless works. If you do give it a try though, let us know how it goes for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.