AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've grown to really dislike the Media Center File Player that shipped with my AIW card, but I can't get *.vcr files to open with of the other players I have installed. Does anyone know of another player that will open them? I know I can convert them to mpeg2, but I'm looking to associate them with another program and open them on the fly from a MyHTPC file list.

Alternatively, is there another option for viewing, recording, and timeshifting live TV that is compatible with an AIW 7500? I'd happily ditch Media Center altogether.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't think the .VCR files can be associated with another player.

I usually record everything in MPG format so I don't have to convert it. Not sure if it's timeshift compatible, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

S

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can this codec help You?

Please tell us if its work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having an older AIW 128 (32Mb AGP) card, all I can say is I feel your pain. It was especially painful under Win2000.

I finally buried mine and got a cheap Hauppage card instead (dunno if you can have both a WinTV and an AIW in the system at the same time). Eventually, I'll probably stick it in it's own case and try the MythTV thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gabbe: That is just the same codec that is installed with the software. It's intended to allow those without an ATI to open the video files.

I did try the demo of WinDVR, which looks nice, but is not fully compatible. Apparently timeshifting rarely works with an ATI and 3rd party software. In retrospect, ATI is a terrible choice and I wish I had opted to stick with nVidia and a PCI tuner card. I've had more issues with the ATI than I care to discuss.

·
Registered
45 Posts
VCR files can be opened with other players, I usually use WMP9 or Media Player Classic (my personal favorite). The only drawback is that you lose the closed-captioning ability of VCR files.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.