Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been comparing the Radeon ATI player to

Windvd, and I really can't see much difference.

I find I like Windvd more from a user-friendly point of view.

Any suggestions on what to look for when comparing these two players?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The word is that the ATI looks and sounds better.

The one day(!) I got it to play a picture without locking up, I could not see any difference. (radeon VE, DILA)

I never could get it to play sound, even with DVD Genie, and unregistering WinDVD. So either it sucks or I suck, but I'm too busy watching movies to worry about it.

The neat thing about WinDVD is that it works, and passes DD and DTS without much fuss.

YMMV,

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think the ATI player has the edge over WinDVD due to its gamma setting adjustment. You can calibrate the gamma setting in the ATI player thus the ATI player (if being calibrated correctly) will result in better shadow details. One test can be done using Gladiator at the first batle scene (Roman vs the Germanian), the ATI supposedly have better overall PQ.

ATI Player also has 0 IRE configuration file that being discussed here many times, to help in calibrating the display device.

my 2 cents..

adzan

·
Registered
288 Posts
DVD Genie is not currently compatible with ati dvd 5.0 or cinemaster 4.

An open beta version is available on the Inmatrix Forums:
http://forum.inmatrix.com

Since its release, however, it has been discovered that under Windows98 -> XP it solely relies upon the internal region code.

As you can see from this DVD Genie 4.10 alpha, the old Cinemaster 99/2000 are on a seperate tab to the newer ati dvd 5.0 and Cineplayer.

If you can help Blight in anyway, with a description of the new registry settings or anything else, please post in the DVD Genie software development section of the forum!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have used both, and for my display (XBR400) there's not much difference. I think the PQ differences mostly show up at higher resolutions, ie. with projectors. The ATI player supposedly takes better advantage of the Radeon's hardware capabilities, which helps it scale better.

As for the audio quality, keep in mind that the ATI dvd v4.1 doesn't do DTS. I don't worry about sound quality issues since I use digital out to my receiver.

BTW, I'm currently using WinDVD 2.6 for pretty much all of my viewing. It's definitely easier to use. IIRC, this version allows gamma adjustments via the 'color2' slider (it's been a while since I tweaked the setup).

·
Registered
407 Posts
I noticed somehing about ATI's player last night- No keypad! I tried to get to the deleted scenes on Star Wars, only to realise there wasn't a keypad. PowerDVD I seem to recall has one. Don't know about WinDVD. Have I just missed the thing, or is there no way of entering numbers etc. in ATI's player?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cineplayer 4 has a keypad!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.