AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We it has been quite a travel, but I think I might have this thing licked. Well, maybe not all of it, more on that later. I thought I might share so others might not have to got he same route.

System is as follows

Pentium 1GHz boxed.

CompUSA super cooler.

Intel 815 motherboard (mistake to be fixed later (only 3 PCI slots)

256 Meg Cas 2 133

Seagate ST340810A 40 Gig, 5400 ATA UDMA 100

Toshiba SD-M1502

ATI Radeon LE

Sound Blaster Audigy

IO Magic Capture card

Windows 2000 Professional.

WinDVD 2.2 (2000)

ATI Media Center.

Number 1 problem - Windows 2000 IRQ hell. Out of the box, Windows 2000 places all of your PCI and AGP devices on IRQ 9 (some say this is just Virtual). While WinDVD ran fine under this, the ATI DVD player would not. It wouldn't even start. I found the F5 install option on one of the threads here (thanks), physically assigned the IRQ on each of the PCI slots to 9, 10, and 11. While there is still some sharing, they are a little more evenly balanced.

IRQ 9 = Radeon

IRQ 10 = IO Magic video/audio, IEEE 1394 Firewire, SMBus

IRQ 11 = Intel Pro/100 Network, SB Audigy, USB, USB

I use the network card for my home network, and disable it during HTPC DVD usage. The Firewire will probably be removed as well as USB. But at present they do not seem to interfere.

At installation, the ATI Media center complained that the DVD and Hard Drive were not DMA. The Hard Drive is on the Primary controller with an 80 wire connector and the DVD is on the Secondary controller with a 40 wire connector. Enabling the DVD for DMA was just a setting in BIOS and a change in the control panel.

The Hard drive was another story - It would Win 2K would only accept "PIO Only". I thought that was rather strange - it was supposed to be an DMA 100. A visit to the Seagate site, solved the mystery. According to the site, all drives are shipped with UDMA turned off. There is a utility download to turn it on.

I downloaded the utility, and low and behold, it said that Mode 5 was enabled. Interesting. I noticed that in the readme file that you should not set it to higher than your board can handle. The Intel board only supports DMA 1-4. I set the drive to UDMA 4. Now I have DMA on the hard drive.

Now ATI DVD player only complains about the timing on the Audigy not being stable. But is still doesn't run. I looked at the error log, and noticed some funny error message. "Can not fine 2 or 3 pin filters." Since I have WinDVD, and had seen some other posts about removing the filters in DVD Genie. Download Genie, install, remove filters. Hey it runs (well sort of).

The ATI DVD would run in a window, but when I would set/click full screen - Black screen of death - complete lockup and file trashing. I almost gave up.

On or about October 15, the new Windows 2000 drivers were released and the Media center for the 7500 appeared on a site. Since I really had nothing to loose, I downloaded and installed them. Everything works!

I don't use digital sound right now so I don't know if that works (I suspect not from reading other threads).

Now came to quieting this beast down. You will notice that I added a CompUSA super cooler. I don't know who manufactured it but it said it was for over clocking P3s. While the stock Intel heatsink/fan seemed to do a fair job of cooling, it didn't look it had much head room. I wanted a larger heatsink and slow the fan to a whisper. I was able to slow the CompUSA fan to under 3000 RPM with 200 ohms at 2.5 watts (5 1K 1/2 watt resisters in parallel). It is very quiet and still keeps the cpu in the 30 - 35 C range.

Things I still need to do / research...

I would like to dual boot this machine, one for stable reference and one for playground. I found that just installing the OS twice did not work. Each OS sees the others partition. I am currently using Hardware profiles in hope that this helps some what.

Get Girder and maybe powerstrip up and running. My display is an LT150 so I am not sure if there would be any benefit from powerstrip. I want the Girder for LT150 control as well as room lighting, etc.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
I use the network card for my home network, and disable it during HTPC DVD usage. The Firewire will probably be removed as well as USB. But at present they do not seem to interfere.
I definitely understand that you gotta do what you gotta do, but just to interject here... If we cannot get HTPCs so that they work reliably with these things enabled, then the HTPC will never achieve the prominent place in the home theater that it should be able to achieve.

·
Registered
599 Posts
j,

i can appreciate your hassles with assembling your machine - i'm a computer guy as well, but looking back, its really not worth the time I spent on futzing with it - i could have bought a working machine from DC and spent those several days billing at least $2k instead of reading threads and wasting time on combinations of products that just dont work.

i'm not totally finished cause i don't have a DTS receiver (yet), but will have to worry about seeing if all that works now within a month's time.

just think of your extra hassle once you add a HDTV card :)

i have a LT150 (hooked up via RGB db-15 cable) as well and love both the DVDs and HDTV signal that I get. The worst is, of course, the standard TV - even with dScaler.

I bought powerstrip because everyone says (it appears that way) you need it - but I NEVER use it and would gladly sell you mine if you think you'll need it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Wow, I thought I was the only guy with problems. I have the ATI Radeon VE running on Win2K on an ECS K7S5A motherboard and the M-Audio Audiophile 2496, so far its been giving me a few problems which are similar to yours

Firstly, I didn't disable the onboard sound, and then installed the Audiophile 2496. This might have something to do with my 2496 not being recognized. However, I am able to get analog sound out from the 2496, but not digital. The HW mixer shows no activity on the digital channel, only the analog channel.

Then, I have almost the same problem with my ATI DVD player. Windowed movies would work perfectly, but sometimes when I switch to fullscreen my system would reboot. Other times(which have been quite are so far), fullscreen would work.

Does anyone know of any solutions to my problems? I'd appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried the new drivers/media player? I believe these are

the 2 that worked for me.

W2K_radeon_5_13_01_3276

mmcdvd (a winzip executable at 29.8 mb)

BTW I tried Starwars Ep 1 last night, after reading someone having trouble with it. I really hate the movie, but it played without any problems.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure of the question so here is the long answer.

On the motherboard BIOS, the Advanced tab has an option for the PCI slots. You have the choice of auto or IRQ 9, IRQ 10, or IRQ 11. I set them to IRQ 9 for first slot, IRQ 10 for the second and IRQ 11 for the third. I saw somewhere that the default for the AGP slot shares the IRQ with the first and Fourth PCI slot. I placed the IO Magic in the second slot and the Sound Blaster in the third slot. The First slot is empty.

When you install Windows 2000, if you press the the F5 key while it is in the starting segment, an option page appears, you choose "standard PC". This forces Windows 2000 to honor the IRQs of the slots.

Finally, if you go to the properties page of "My computer", choose the hardware tab and device manager. Open the IDE ATA tree, your controller and your primary and secondary channels. Per ATI instructions it is best to have them on separate channels, both as master or single drive configurations. Double clicking on these channels bring up a dialog box, select the Advanced tab. This will display the the current and hopefully a dropdown of what you wish it to be, While the current is disabled, if Windows 2000 can accept the change, the second field will be enabled, and can be changed. This is where I had problems with the seagate, before I changed the UDMA to 4.

I hope this helped.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I am uncertain as to where I found them. If you do a search in this area for Radeon Media Center, you should find it. I believe that the DVD 5.0 is actually part of the Radeon 7500 series, but it seems to be backward compatable.

Sometime around the 15th of October, ATI released the latest "Official" drivers. There are beta versions flying around the net, but these are the only ones that ATI supports. I read another thread on that the DVD player had to be re-written for some really serious problem. I think it might have had to do with XP. The gist is that DD S/PDif is not supported in the current release.

2 sites that come to mind are Rage3d and gamers-ammo .

·
Registered
179 Posts
jkaiser,

what sort of analog sound are you getting out of the ati player and audigy? (my setup as well - lt150 too :)) I am only able to get 4 channel sound - no center or sub with the ati player (4.1).

the powerdvd six channel dvd player works great (awesome sound) but powerdvd video doesn't hold a candle to the ati player's video. anyway just wondering if the new ati drivers/player allows for the audigy's ac3 decoder for the 6 analog outs to work on your system or not.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Goi

I think the Multi Media Center is version 7.2, which contains the DVD Player 5.0

uncledeathmonkey

I am only using the 2 channel sound right now going to the standard POS computer grade amplified speakers. I ordered a new rack to store all the equipment (One that will hold a PC) on

Saturday. They expect delivery this week, so hopefully this weekend I will get it hooked up to the Hifi stack. I doubt that I will get past 5.1 for a while. Will have to wait until next year to look at a new receiver, after building the htpc and the lt150 purchases this year.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the good new is I found the site I got them from. The bad news is the link is busted. It appears that ATI has rounded up all the sites that had the MMC 7.2 and made them remove it. Since it never was an official release, I guess they have that right. I also noticed that the current MMC 7.1 on ATI for the older cards, now state No DVD on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.