Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just got a PLV-Z2 to use with my HTPC and a having some isues. It looks like others have had similar problems but I haven't found a solution. My Configuration is:

WinXP SP2

ATI x700 running the new Catalyst 5.8

-Hitachi 21" CRT pluged in to the VGA slot

-Attempting to use my PLV-Z2 in the DVI slot with a DVI dual link cable

Basically, the Z2 works great if I start the pc with only the VGA CRT connected and then hot plug the Z2. I am having the following issues:

1) if I turn off the Z2 then turn it back on (without power cycling the pc) I get "no input" on the Z2 (blue screen). If I change the display resolution and "apply" the settings, the Z2 comes up. The same thing happens if I get the Z2 running, switch it to input 1 (my cable box) then switch back to the DVI input. Blue screen until I change the display resolution.

2) If I have the Z2 connected to the DVI on the ATI and reboot the PC, Windows XP will not start. I see the Bios message on the CRT and the Z2, then Windows never loads. This is the case whether I plug in the DVI and the VGA or the DVI by itself.

From advice I saw on this board, I tried forcing Windows to think that the Z2 is a Sony GDM-FW900. The change does persist in the Windows settings, but the PC still will not boot past the BIOS if the DVI cable is connected to the ATI.

This is my first ATI card and I'm starting to regret the switch... Then again, I know from this board that people have gotten similar configurations to this working, so I think that with some giudance I will be ok.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
467 Posts
You might try to use the ATI Control panel and setup hotkeys to switch your primary display between VGA and DVI. I use Ctrl-Alt-D for DVI, Ctrl-ALt-V for vga.

Are you sure it is not booting beyond the bios? Maybe it is booting all the way up but outputing to the DVI and you can not see it because of the projector / DVI sync issue you mentioned.

If you setup the hotkeys you could try switching between VGA and DVI using them to see if it brings up the display when you don't see it after reboot.

Brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had a semi-similar problem, and have yet to find a workaround. If I turn my HDTV off, then back on, I have no display on the HDTV. Only ways to recover the display are to reboot the HTPC or reseed the DVI cable. This also happens if I put the PC in S3 and don't turn the HDTV on before I resume (if I have it on, the display will show).

You sound like you're having problems straight from bootup however, so it could be an unrelated issue.

I've contacted ATI, and they seem to think it's a driver issue. I never had the problem with 5.6, but 5.7 and 5.8 have given me this problem. Unfortunately there were other bug fixes in 5.8 that I required, so I don't want to go back to 5.6.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidHead
I've had a semi-similar problem, and have yet to find a workaround. If I turn my HDTV off, then back on, I have no display on the HDTV. Only ways to recover the display are to reboot the HTPC or reseed the DVI cable. This also happens if I put the PC in S3 and don't turn the HDTV on before I resume (if I have it on, the display will show).

You sound like you're having problems straight from bootup however, so it could be an unrelated issue.

I've contacted ATI, and they seem to think it's a driver issue. I never had the problem with 5.6, but 5.7 and 5.8 have given me this problem. Unfortunately there were other bug fixes in 5.8 that I required, so I don't want to go back to 5.6.
I have the same problem with my Sony 60xs955 LCD RPTV (DVI-HDMI) with the newer ATI drivers. When I switch from one source on the TV to another and then back to the HTPC source I don't have a pic and need a reboot to get it back. I am back to using cat 5.6 since 5.7 and now 5.8 has not solve this issue. Also I do not get the bios/boot up screen with the Sony regardless what ATI driver I use. When I had my Samsung DLP (DVI-DVI) the boot screen always comes up. Now with the Sony, only when windows is actually loading before I see an image so it looks like it has to initiate the software display driver. To solve the problem, I have a extra LCD monitor hooked up by the VGA of my X800XT PE and it shows the bios/boot stuff before the Sony switches on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try the Hot Key thing and see if that works... The only scenario I can think of is that maybe it's trying to output to the DVI but for some reason it's not displaying.

If that doesn't work I went out and bought a PNY GeForce 6600, so I'll see if I have better luck with the Nvidia drivers... I'll post the results of the hotkey test and/or the video card switch. Maybe I'll have an x700 (slightly used) for sale, eh? :)

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Al;

It sounds like you have an EDID issue. Do a search here for more info. In short, it usually takes quite some effort to remedy. For example I had to get a DVI Detective in order to get my Marantz S2/XFX 6800-NU combo to work.

____

Axel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Axel,

So if it's the case that I have an EDID issue, do you think that changing the video card from ATI to Nvidia will have an impact?

Al

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amattin
Thanks Axel,

So if it's the case that I have an EDID issue, do you think that changing the video card from ATI to Nvidia will have an impact?

Al
Al;

My problem was actually the other way around: While I had zero issues with cards by ATI (9700 and FireXL) and Matrox (G450 and P650), I ran into EDID issues with cards with NVidia 6800 chip (XFX-6800-NU and some other brand I have forgotten - I returned this card immediately).

I believe the EDID issue is so much not manufacturer specific, but rather more chip family specific, meaning that a 6600 NVidia may work just fine with my PJ model (I have not tried that).

So in short, I’d say it is worth a try, but make sure you can easily return the card, in case you run into problems.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi, I had exactly the same problem, but with an Nvidia 6800 and an Olevia LCD TV. I looked at all the EDID fixes, and either they didn't work or were too complicated to be worth the trouble. Don't bother paying for some fancy DVI gizmo that costs as much as your video card! The frustrating thing is that there are many EDID discussions on AVSForum to search through that are totally irrelevant to your problem, because they deal with issues that occur AFTER booting Windows. In the end, after spending dozens of man-hours searching for a solution, I fixed my problem by flashing the firmware of my video card with a newer firmware for the same Nvidia chipset, but from a different vendor. I later upgraded my system, and the last two cards I've had (an ATI X700 and an Nvidia 6600), worked just fine booting with DVI.

My advice for you: don't waste any more time looking for fixes - just buy another card from a different manufacturer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A update, I was able to resolve this issue by ditching my ATI x700 card and going with a PNY Nvidia 6600. It no works fine, just as I'd expect, and I'm able to get a real 720p signal that fills my whole projected image and looks great.

My advice to people having this issue (although it's sort of throwing $$ at the issue) is to try a different video card. I can't say that ATIs would never work, because people have posted here that are using them successfully, or that Nvidias will always work (people have had issues, as posted in this thread). Just make sure you take the advice here and if you're buying a new video card for your HTPC get it from your local CC or best buy because you may be returning it...

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel
Al;

Glad to hear you found a solution.

____

Axel
I have an ATI card, ATI Radeon 9600Pro, and i found out once windows booted it sent out a digital signal versus an analog through my Dual DVI-I cable, and on my display i had to change it to detect a dvi-digital signal, otherwise it was looking for an analog signal that wasnt there... maybe this will help some of you...

Arty

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have done quite a bit of testing with several different video cards. In general, I have concluded that there are various violations of the EDID 1.3 standard. It states that at minimum, all EDID compliant displays and sources must show at least a 640 x 480 image. Therefore, if you do not even get that, there is a violation of the standard. Frankly, I think it would be the video card that is responsible. It should always show you the minimum signal. My X700 Pro card works with some display devices and not others, although each of them has tested to output compliant 1.3 information.

If anyone has a contact at ATI, please share it. I would like to discuss with them this matter, as it does cause them to lose business when a customer has to switch over to Nvidia, so I would think they would want the problem solved.

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.