Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I´ve connected my Club 3D X800XL over DVI to my projector Sim2 HT300 XTRA.

But I only have a display when Windows starts. I can´t see the BIOS etc.

Is it possible to activate the DVI-signal before the ATI-driver is activated ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have the same thing with LCD monitor. 2 possible reasons:a) HDCP build inside DVI prohibits the display from showing anything untill drivers boot up or b)video size and sync rates don't match for proper display. My way around it is to use secondary output hooked up to VGA connector. If you don't have VGA, see if you can use composite connector or something. It's really no big deal unless you need to acces bios or system hangs up and you need to see that message.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer pete,

but if video size and sync rates don't match for proper display, the projector shows the message "out of sync". In my case I only get the message "no signal".

An older AGP-card (9800XT) didn´t make any problems via DVI. Where is the difference and what can I do ? I can connect the card over a VGA adapter to an analog monitor with success, but I don´t get a picture over VGA on my projector.

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,099 Posts
Contact Sim and see if it can sync to VGA. That is probably the problem.

Computers have to be able to display the BIOS screens and I cannot believe that ATI would ship a card that does not support VGA display because of copy protection.

-- Rich

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Honestly I don't know. If I was going to speculate: during bootup the screen size is something like 640x400 with very limited color info, it could be ATI decided not to send it over DVI. But I think it has more to do with HDCP (that freaking content protections) becoming omnipresent in every device now a days. It may even be that it is a bug the way it is implemented . I don't think HDCP specs were anounced yet when 9800 came out.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I forgot to add that my computer would not even bootup when DVI was the only connection to my HD LCD TV. It would boot up without any video connection or with standard monitor but not with LCD. I had to have secondary video connection (even composite video cam hook up would work) before computer would actually boot up, thats when secondary VGA connection become a solution to this whole mess. My guts feeling is that it's all due to content protection and I don't have to tell you where do I stand on that issue? It's a total BS that we have to put up with all this nonsense and it will only get worse.

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,099 Posts
Pete4,

I think HDCP is not likely here. VGA (640x480) low color is used during bootup. What is more lilkely is that the Sim2 is not syncing to that resolution. It might have options that need to be set to sync to the signal.

BMueller,

If you have or can borrow another monitor see if it can boot with the startup screens.

-- Rich

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rich,

before this new x800-card I used a 9800XT with DVI connection to my Sim. All worked fine and I could see all information before windows started. Something must have changed in the DVI-signal-structure. With the DVI-Analog adaptor no problem. So I will test my X800 with another DVI-monitor to see, if my Sim can´t sync to the DVI-signal.

Bernd

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I have a X800XT PE and it does the same thing with my Sony 60sx955 LCD RPTV. I just hook up a second LCD monitor via the VGA and I get to see the bios stuff. Didnt have the problem when I had my Samsung DLP, just with the Sony. I am contected via DVI-HDMI to the Sony so I was thinking that could be the problem since on the Sammy it was DVI-DVI. I am sure in my case its the TV end of things and not the vid card since when a LCD monitor is connected via the DVI I see the bios boot stuff fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.