AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote a question to ATI's "Catalyst Crew" concerning their deinterlacing options w/ CCC Cat 5.7.

I asked them how to use the deinterlacing options w/c doesn't seem to effect my video 30fps DVD's. Here's their response:

We have responded to your issue.

Solution: Deinterlacing only comes into effect when an interlaced signal is coming into the computer and being displayed on the non-interlaced screen of your monitor. Examples of this include TV Tuner cards, video in from camcorders or VCRs. Media files are not interlaced, neither are DVDs.

I'm not sure but I don't want to argue w/ them......mike.....

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
ATI is right well kind of. Contrary to popular belief some DVDs are not interlaced. Video based DVDs are in fact interlaced so they are wrong in saying ALL DVDs are not interlaced. However, film based DVD’s contain 2 fields taken from the same instant in time as opposed to the video discs that contain fields taken ~1/60 apart. This means that film based discs can easily be combined into their original 24 FPS progressive frames on a computer without any of the quality losses that come with deinterlacing. They can also be telecined to achieve the 60 FPS output. I think is what ATI is referring to.

Oh yea they are completely wrong about the media files not being interlaced. Windows Media 9 and MPG2 files can be encoded interlaced. Try the output from the SONY HC1 1080i camera. It is interlaced.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd
ATI is right well kind of. Contrary to popular belief some DVDs are not interlaced. Video based DVDs are in fact interlaced so they are wrong in saying ALL DVDs are not interlaced. However, film based DVD’s contain 2 fields taken from the same instant in time as opposed to the video discs that contain fields taken ~1/60 apart. This means that film based discs can easily be combined into their original 24 FPS progressive frames on a computer without any of the quality losses that come with deinterlacing. They can also be telecined to achieve the 60 FPS output. I think is what ATI is referring to.
Oh no not again..... :p

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Mike, I can play video DVDs with no problem with TT in FS Renderless (DXVA), but on my x800pro. I only have to make sure that one of the two "pixel adaptive" choices in TT sub-menu are selected.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mpgxsvcd; thanks for the response. I knew I was somewhat right. My interpretation to their reponse also gives me the impression that the video deinterlace feature w/ CCC is for 480i video input sources only through svideo or composite.

So here's my question to you nice folks. The only deinterlacing that's done (video DVD only of course) are by the decoders in software mode, at least w/ my setup. For example, if I view a 480i video and turn off or set film mode/weave in the decoders, I get combing all over. Regardless what setting on CCC deinterlace option. Also if I use Dscaler(w/c I love dearly) I get the same combing effect. As we all know Dscaler does not have a deinterlacer.

So I'm going w/ the assumption that my decoders handle all deinterlacing. Although I've read around here about VMR deinterlacing. People are also using Dscaler to view 1080i files.

I've tried Dscaler but I can't get rid of the weave artifacts w/ 1080i media. Am I way off base here? Is there something wrong w/ my system??

XP3000+/Abit NF-7s/9800pro256/1G dual channel ram/Fusion2/ZP4.50/Nvidia;Dscaler;Elecard codecs;Cat 5.7 w/CCC/VMR9 Windowless. Output 1776x1000i to Mits65" RPTV.

Hi Tulli! The only time I use DXVA is w/ 720p/1080i files. I'm too spoiled w/ ffdshow to view my DVD's. Nvidia codec does a decent job w/ video but Dscaler w/ Tomsmocomp does a great job w/ deinterlacing. There is no film detection though. Nvidia codec for 1080i works great w/ DVXA/Smart/motion adaptive.

htpcfan: What do you mean???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.