AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided about a year ago to build a theater with a computer driving a projector. I got the lt150 and an H+ decoder card. All was well until I found this place. Now I keep reading about how I can improve the picture and sound of my current set-up. Here's my problem. I don't want to buy a new video card, sound card, and HD decoder card only to see something even better come out in a month.

My plan was to wait for the AIW 8500, then get a HD decoder at the first of the year. Now see this new card at ATI's site.

I currently have:

tusl-2 + 850 cel

GForce2

H+

SBlive

Right now I thinking about just getting the Radeon le and M-audio 24/96 with winDVD or PowerDVD and waiting until things settle down.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
578 Posts
You already have a pretty good setup for adequate software DVD decoding. Of course, your system, as it stands now, doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a best of class HTPC, but if all you are interested in is to drive your LT150 with an HTPC, you just need a software player. The H+'s PQ (picture quality) can't really compare to any of the current versions of PowerDVD or WinDVD. Those two players are really neck and neck in terms of picture quality. The difference between them most of time is just purely preference. The G-force 2 is ok for software DVD playback. Not great by any means. Radeon LE would definitely improve things greatly, but there is the issue with the new Radeons coming out. They are showing great promise, but the jury is still out on them. I would definitely hold off till we get good word (and drivers) from others who test the waters for us first. Your SBlive is adequate, as long as you have SPDIF (that doesn't fry your reciever).

You would be doing the smart thing by holding out just a bit longer. In the meantime, try finding a copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Oops, I forgot. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dalvis
I don't want to buy a new video card, sound card, and HD decoder card only to see something even better come out in a month.
Xilleon won't be out in a month. It will be volume shipped to OEMs during Q1/2002 if all goes well. That's still easily at least half a year before you can see a single product based on that chip.

Furthermore, Xilleon is not a card, but a chip for OEM set top box solutions.

I doubt that you'll be seeing it on many PCI video cards for PC's for quite some time if ever.

8500 AIW would be my best bet too, if it ships any time soon.

Cheers,

Hal

PS In video cards 6 months is the update cycle and major new announcements come every 12 months or so. That's just how it works (at least for now).

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___For those that need some more information on the XILLEON™ card, you can read up on ATI’s post of the all-in-one unit on a chip here . I saw this page yesterday but it did not appear that it would be an HTPC card of any kind so it really did not belong in this forum …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.