AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a couple of posts about problems I've had with CBS and NBC reception using my new HD100 and have been in correspondence with several other HD100 owners in the area that are having similar problems.

One of the people I've corresponded with suggested that the problem could be at the source (transmitter), or possibly a threshold problem with the Sony.

I wanted to start a thread to specifically discuss this issue and determine if EVERYONE in Atlanta is experiencing the same problem that I'm experiencing with the HD100. That would suggest that it is not a reception problem, but a hardware problem (either in the Sony, or at the station side).

To summarize my problem:

All four of the digital channels show a very high signal level (95+) and show that they are LOCKED when viewing the signal meter. However, only FOX and ABC are viewable. CBS is completely unwatchable (mostly "Searching for digital signal" with an occasional second or two of video/audio followed by long periods of nothing), and NBC is pretty good with regular dropouts.

I have no such problems with my DTC100.

-Dave

·
Registered
33,590 Posts
Hey guys, just a thought. Rather than blaming the box, you may wish to consider whether it's your TV and the station having compatibility problems. The reason I say that, is that there have many documented problems with stations sending out a faulty signal and a particular brand of TV not receiving it. In my case, I've had problems with my Zenith not showing a picture or sound on WABC DT in N.Y despite showing a high signal strength. The problem was in their signal not the TV or tuner. Just something to think about. High def is a totally new ballgame and compatibility issues abound.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Some similiar problems in the Dallas area. All 6 channels coming in at 89+ on the signal strength meter. However CBS channel 11.1 HD comes and goes and in between I get the weather channel that is assigned to 11.2. All the other channels come in fine. I think it is something to do with the Sony receiver. Then again it may be CBS broadcast problem.

I have the RCA also and it assigns the channels in the guide the same as they are broadcast.

ABC 9

WB 18

CBS 19

Fox 35

NBC 41

Both the Sony and RCA get 89+ signal strength.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Does anyone also have a DTC-100 for comparison reasons? I have a DTC-100 and am getting great signal strength & picture in NE Atlanta (Suwanee).

I am considering trying to hunt down a HD-100 but might subscribe to the "don't fix what ain't broke" philosophy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
We have a mailing list based discussion going

about DTV & HDTV in Atlanta. Only Atlanta

based topics are discussed, like signal strength,

location, antenna requirements, local broadcasters,

etc.

There's a database where we are collecting

reception parameters from different parts of

the city which will hopefully assist people

in guessing how much antenna they will need.

www.yahoogroups.com/group/ahdtv

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mase,

Yes, as I stated in my post above I have a DTC100 and experience no problems whatsoever with it. Don't assume that the HD100 will work for you just because the DTC100 does.

I also have yet to hear from ANYONE in Atlanta that is receiving NBC or CBS perfectly using the HD100.

-Dave

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my case, I'm sure its not the TV. The receiver displays the message "Searching for digital signal" when I'm having problems. It happens even when downconverted to 480i and displayed via the S-Video outputs. Also happens via 1080i to my G11.

-Dave

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anybody have contact names/numbers for engineers at CBS and NBC in Atlanta? I'm willing to work with them to determine what the incompatibilities are with the HD100.

Thanks.

-Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am beginning to think that it is a HD100 issue. I am in CA and receive the Sacramento locals. I used the DTC-100 for a month and got all my local digitals without problem with my Sony Monitor. With the Sony HD100 I am losing one of the channels, despite signals strengths in the 95-100 range. Could it be that the signal is too strong? Has anyone tried an antennuator to see if this makes a difference?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke with both Sony and WGCL this afternoon.

Sony says that they have had lots of reports of problems with CBS and NBC in the Atlanta area and that they are "working on a fix". It will probably be a satellite patch update. I asked them to call me when they've found the actual cause of the problem. Doubt they will...

I spoke with the same engineer I spoke with this morning at WGCL (I forget his name). I mentioned that it may have something to do with the PSIP stream and he said that there are a few things he may try to fix the problem. I asked if it was possible to turn off the PSIP, and he thought that it was NOT an option, that PSIP was required. I'm no expert, so I didn't argue with him. He said it is not strange that WGCL shows up as 19 (instead of 46), since it is an optional part of the PSIP stream to remap the channels (like FOX and ABC do).

His last comment disturbed me: "I'll see what I can do, but there aren't a whole lot of you out there." By "you" he meant "HDTV viewers".

Good luck getting through to the "evening shift". I imagine they are a bit more sensitive to HDTV issues, since that is the only time of the day when true HDTV gets passed through.

-Dave

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke with an engineer at WGCL today (CBS). He said he's gotten about a dozen calls with similar problems to the one I'm reporting on the HD100. He hasn't seen the new Sony yet, but says he will do some investigating to determine if any of the other stations have any suggestions. He claims that they have the latest software on their encoder.

He also said they are in the process of moving to a new studio, so don't expect any quick fixes. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

I did mention to him that people in Dallas are also reporting problems, and that he should check with the CBS station there to see if they have any further info.

What would be great is if there is another CBS affiliate somewhere in the country that is not having compatibility problems with the HD100. I could ask him to contact them and compare notes.

Is anybody in the country receiving CBS perfectly with an SAT-HD100?

-Dave

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am south of atlanta...I use a ProScan STB...I have similar problems...Especially with CBS...My signal strength is only around 50, but is acceptable...The dropouts seem to have increased drastically in the last few days...Couldn't get NBC at all last night...My antenna is a CM2030 mounted inside my attic...With a RS amp...

kenmullins

newnan, ga usa

[This message has been edited by greenwing (edited 03-08-2001).]

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I wonder if it is a problem with the PSIP data stream. I can receive my local CBS station with no problems and they are not currently using PSIP. Are those of you with PSIP capable stations getting the program info on the Sony?

Gary

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's an interesting idea, Joe. I'll admit to not understanding PSIP completely, but I assume that part of what it does is remap the digital station numbers to their analog counterparts.

If so, then this sounds like it might have something to do with the problem. The two channels that I am getting perfectly (27 - FOX and 39 - ABC) are being remapped to channels 5 and 2 respectively by the HD100. The two channels that I'm having problems on (19 - CBS and 10 - NBC) are NOT being remapped -- they still show up as 19 and 10.

I know that one of the first things I did on my DTC100 when I bought it was to turn off the off-air program guide. I don't see any way to do this on the HD100.

Sounds like its time to give Sony a call...

-Dave

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am sorry you are having problems with the Sony. For what it's worth, my Samsung stb maps WGCL as 19.3 and WXIA as 10.1. I have no problem with the pictures, so I would guess it's the Sony stb.

BTW WSB only recently re-mapped to 2.1.

Tom

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It does look like a PSIP setting is incorrect. When our CBS first went on line the DTC-100 was unable to see the channel. They had the PSIP information set to re map to 13.3. The Unity motion box could see it but not the DTC-100.

Someone in GA with a DTC-100 turn on you "Acquire off Air Guide" and do a full scan. If you can not get a picture on 19.3 or if it does not find the channel at all; it is the PSIP setting from the station.

Another Engineer was able to fix the problem in two minutes by making a change so that it re maps the proper 13.1 not 13.3.

If somebody reports that the DTC-100 is not finding the station when "Acquire off Air Guide is enabled then email me directly and I will give you the email of the Engineer that had fix the problem in minutes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any updates on this problem? I've been pretty busy the last couple of days and haven't even checked the status of CBS on my HD100.

Anyone have any luck solving this problem yet?

-Dave

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi All,

Does either the CBS or NBC affiliate have a second video channel?? Like and HD and a SD signal???

Bob

------------------

CBS New York

[email protected]

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bob,

No, I don't believe either NBC or CBS have a second (SD) channel.

By the way, I've decided to return my Sony HD100 to the store I bought it from as soon as they get the Toshiba or Mitsubishi HD receivers back in stock (probably by end of next week). That is, unless Sony can get this problem fixed by then.

Didn't they beta test these things? I've seen the exact same problem reported in at least three major markets (Atlanta, Boston, and Dallas).

-Dave

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Bob,

My problems with the Sony began after WBNS added the subchannels for this weeks NCAA tournament. According to the engineer at WBNS they are broadcasting on channel 21 now not 21.1. The strange thing is that I can get the picture on channel 21 but I have to keep changing the channel until it finally locks. Sometimes it takes 20-30 times before it will lock.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.