AVS Forum banner

4301 - 4320 of 4349 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Nice! Yeah attic should definitely get you better results. I had a cheap knock off leaf antenna that actually outperformed my clear stream 4v (attic). I put the leaf antenna on 2nd floor window.
Interesting. I'm planning on buying a pre-amp to hookup to the v2 as well hoping that helps.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
All my stuff (Mini 8 distribution amp and LTE filter) arrived promptly from Channel Master who BTW have been great to do business with.

The addition of the distribution amp to my attic rat’s nest was not without its misfires and there were several.

After I finally figured out the mast mounted preamp must have a clear power path from its power inserter either directly or if split, one must pay attention as to which ports pass power and which don’t.

My first hookup up failure had the power inserter for the preamp downstream from the Mini 8 Distribution amp. This resulted in no signal because the Mini 8 apparently does not pass power thus, no power to the preamp.

After reconfiguring the preamp and re-testing, I once again connected the Mini 8, powered it up and re-scanned all six of my connected TV’s. Happy to report all six are receiving 66 solid channels. The Mini 8 has really evened the playing field for all my TV’s. I’m pretty sure eliminating two 4-way, one 3-way, and one 2-way splitter hasn’t hurt either.

Also, my experiment of adding Ethernet through the antenna coax by using Actiontec MoCA adapters is a big success. I purchased 4 additional MoCA adapters, so I’ll have a wired connection at every TV in the house.

Today I have been playing with the new TiVo Edge for antenna, also from Channel Master. I think I’m going to like it. OTA TiVo for my wife’s soaps with perhaps YouTube TV streamed on Roku along with all my new wired Ethernet locations will I think do a nice job of replacing our whole home DirecTV system, and reduce our monthly viewing cost by about half.

Reactions: SBRUSKI

·
Registered
474 Posts
I received my HDhomerun Kickstarter 4k ATSC 3.0 tuner yesterday. I connected it and all 4 tuners are working. Haven't received anything in 3.0 yet, but haven't really had alot of time to explore.
Waiting until there is some type of announcement locally, since the Atlanta market was supposed to be one of the first to have 3.0.
Have you guys heard anything yet?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I received my HDhomerun Kickstarter 4k ATSC 3.0 tuner yesterday. I connected it and all 4 tuners are working. Haven't received anything in 3.0 yet, but haven't really had alot of time to explore.
Waiting until there is some type of announcement locally, since the Atlanta market was supposed to be one of the first to have 3.0.
After doing a bit of research, it looks like it's going to be quite awhile before ATSC 3.0 programming is actually available in the Atlanta area. :-(

·
Registered
A lot of nice toys
309 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Anyone know of, or how to find, an installer for antenna? The attic isn't getting the job done. I'm looking to have a chimney install and have a professional that understands how to look at my signal and provide the best option. But I'm struggling to find installers.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
It appears NBC 11-11 (The alternate version of 11-1 for the southwest metro) was impacted by tropical storm Zeta last night. Some other channels perhaps from the same broadcast tower appear to be impacted as well. Anybody else notice the loss of some ATL channels?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Based on this quote from a very the very helpful post from richart, “channel 11-11 is a simulcast of channel 11-1 (WXIA on physical channel 10) and is actually broadcast as a sub-channel of WATL 36 on physical channel 25.”

I believe the problem is with physical channel 25 as none of the 5 normally available channels on WATL Physical channel 25 are broadcasting, including WATL and WXIA 11-11.

I Don’t think I have much to worry about as WATL is quite popular and I’m sure will get repaired soon.

To be clear, I'm saying Physical Channel 25 in Atlanta appears not to be broadcasting currently.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah WATL specifically sub channel .3 is probably my most watched OTA channel. I’m sure they are working hard to get back on the air.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anyone know of, or how to find, an installer for antenna? The attic isn't getting the job done. I'm looking to have a chimney install and have a professional that understands how to look at my signal and provide the best option. But I'm struggling to find installers.
At one time Sling would install antennas. Not sure of the particulars (your antenna
or theirs. etc.)

·
Registered
A lot of nice toys
309 Posts
Atlantic Integrated Technologies did mine. I have a roof-installed antenna with pre-amp/conditioner and 8-channel power distributor. They also ran the coax to 8 rooms in my house. They did it all. I receive over 112 channels on every connected TV in my house in Alpharetta.

They've done other work in my house also. I recommend them.

888-628-3155

They also do:
  • Network wiring
  • Home Theater (also dealer for many audio/video brands)
  • Home Automation (also dealer for Control 4)
  • Security

Reactions: NotShorty

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Thanks. I ended up going with the Sling partner, knowing it would be a mediocre Dish network installer with only 1 directional antenna option but I gave up on trying to find someone better. He did the best he could with what he had and found the best spot on the roof between the tree line. I figured worst case I'm getting a mount and coax line ran to my media closet and I could replace the antenna.

It's been working well enough with signal strength 70-80s and signal quality 90+ and symbol at 100%. Last two days with the high winds I did have issues with symbol dropping to 0 and signal coming in and out. I figure that is due to the tree limbs moving a lot? I do not have it amplified, though it came with one. Big 5 are no more than 5 degrees apart about 30 miles away. Today, with low wind, I haven't had an issue.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Just to confirm WATL 36 on physical channel 25 came back up sometime Thursday evening so all is good here in Newnan. I can watch WXIA 11-11 again.
I am jealous of how many channels Baby Jocko can log up in Alpharetta. Once again it feels like us south siders are getting the short end of the stick. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Atlantic Integrated Technologies did mine. I have a roof-installed antenna with pre-amp/conditioner and 8-channel power distributor. They also ran the coax to 8 rooms in my house. They did it all. I receive over 112 channels on every connected TV in my house in Alpharetta.

They've done other work in my house also. I recommend them.

888-628-3155

They also do:
  • Network wiring
  • Home Theater (also dealer for many audio/video brands)
  • Home Automation (also dealer for Control 4)
  • Security
Are you getting wyga channels (16.1-16.4)?

I'm in Duluth and those are being a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
A lot of nice toys
309 Posts
Are you getting wyga channels (16.1-16.4)?

I'm in Duluth and those are being a pain.

Yes, I get channel 16.1 - 16.7 clearly. 26.1 - 26.5 is the weakest, hit or miss.

Reactions: H0va4life

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I get channel 16.1 - 16.7 clearly. 26.1 - 26.5 is the weakest, hit or miss.
Nice! Yeah the 26s are good on my end, the 16s are the only channels being a pain. I even get the 14s (ion) that are out of Rome with great quality and are much further than 16s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On Thursday, I joined the ranks of the HDTV owners. I have Comcast HD here in Atlanta, but I'd like to enjoy the other local channels that they don't include. My Zenith has a built-in tuner, and I'm only about 10 miles from the towers. However, I live north of the city in Sandy Springs. My apartment is on the top floor of a three story building, but there is a building next door of the same size. Does anybody have a similar experience? If so, could I get away with an indoor antenna like the Silver Sensor? What's a good VHF antenna to pick up WSB? Thanks in advance.

[MOD EDIT]

Digital Ch. | Call letters | Affiliate | Primary Resolution

10 | WXIA | NBC | 1080i

19 | WGCL | CBS | 1080i

20 | WTBS | TBS (local) | 1080i

25 | WATL | WB | 1080i

27 | WAGA | FOX | 720p

39 | WSB | ABC | 720p

41 | WATC | TV57 | 480i

42 | WTHC | The Atlanta Channel (local) | 480i

43 | WUPA | UPN | 1080i

44 | WHSG | TBN | 480i

48 | WUVG | Univision | 480i

51 | WPXA | PAX | 480i

Contact information for the local channels: http://www.georgiahdtv.com/ht/atlanta_station_info.html
Try a few antennas off of Amazon, whichever ones gives u the most channels keep and the rest just return. You can also find even cheaper antennas on their warehouse website.

As I mentioned previously, I got a cheap $12 flat one I placed on a window that outperformed a clearstream 4v that was in the attic.

4301 - 4320 of 4349 Posts