AVS Forum banner

4341 - 4349 of 4349 Posts

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Not entirely sure. My guess based on records I can dig up is that the batwing was used for the channel 12 digital signal during the transition.

- Trip

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I live in Woodstock, GA, 30188, in the Hudson Woodstock apartment complex. My apartment of one level is on the ground floor of three floors in the building, and all of my windows are West facing. In that direction as well as around me are either three level apartment buildings and trees that reach just above the apartment buildings, or the rest of the building around me.

I purchased a RCA "amplified ultra-thin signal-finder HDTV multi directional" antenna with a 65 mile range, but am only getting ten OTA channels no matter where I move the antenna in the living room or kitchen areas of my apartment. The built in signal meter shows a maximum signal strength most of the time except in a few places. The channels that I am getting I am getting perfectly, such as 14-1 ION TV, 14-2 QUOBO, 14-3 IONPLUS14-4 SHOP, 14-5 QVC, 14-6 HSN 47-1 TLMD, 57-1 WATC DT, 57-2 WATC00, and 57-3 ALIEN, at least the ones that I have checked.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed by the management to put up any kind of antenna outside in any way, on the roof, outside on the ground, etc.. Therefore any indoor antenna or outdoor antenna must be placed inside. Furthermore, it appears that there are no other Internet and TV providers except for Xfinity, possibly having secured an exclusivity contract with the apartment management, as the Xfinity Internet that I have at the apartment comes in through a coax port in the walls. I have noticed a number of dishes up on the high and lower level roofs of the apartment buildings in my complex, but I am not sure if those are grandfathered in, or if they were what the apartment complex had for TV service previously.

I would like to get the main network channels, such as what I got at my previous residence, 69-1 The CW, COMET 69-3, CBS 46-1, ABC 2-1, FOX 5-1 or signals belonging to the networks in good or great quality, in addition to what I have now if possible, and any other channels would be a bonus, like PBS.

My TVfool report is here:
Is there any other report I need to provide for someone here to help me?

Is there anyone in the same apartment complex as me, or in Woodstock who can help me or can anyone give me any tips on antennas, outdoor or indoor, to purchase and place indoors, or anything else that I can do?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I live in Woodstock, GA, 30188, in the Hudson Woodstock apartment complex. My apartment of one level is on the ground floor of three floors in the building, and all of my windows are West facing. In that direction as well as around me are either three level apartment buildings and trees that reach just above the apartment buildings, or the rest of the building around me.

I purchased a RCA "amplified ultra-thin signal-finder HDTV multi directional" antenna with a 65 mile range, but am only getting ten OTA channels no matter where I move the antenna in the living room or kitchen areas of my apartment. The built in signal meter shows a maximum signal strength most of the time except in a few places. The channels that I am getting I am getting perfectly, such as 14-1 ION TV, 14-2 QUOBO, 14-3 IONPLUS14-4 SHOP, 14-5 QVC, 14-6 HSN 47-1 TLMD, 57-1 WATC DT, 57-2 WATC00, and 57-3 ALIEN, at least the ones that I have checked.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed by the management to put up any kind of antenna outside in any way, on the roof, outside on the ground, etc.. Therefore any indoor antenna or outdoor antenna must be placed inside. Furthermore, it appears that there are no other Internet and TV providers except for Xfinity, possibly having secured an exclusivity contract with the apartment management, as the Xfinity Internet that I have at the apartment comes in through a coax port in the walls. I have noticed a number of dishes up on the high and lower level roofs of the apartment buildings in my complex, but I am not sure if those are grandfathered in, or if they were what the apartment complex had for TV service previously.

I would like to get the main network channels, such as what I got at my previous residence, 69-1 The CW, COMET 69-3, CBS 46-1, ABC 2-1, FOX 5-1 or signals belonging to the networks in good or great quality, in addition to what I have now if possible, and any other channels would be a bonus, like PBS.

My TVfool report is here:
Is there any other report I need to provide for someone here to help me? fromprohibitj g

Is there anyone in the same apartment complex as me, or in Woodstock who can help me or can anyone give me any tips on antennas, outdoor or indoor, to purchase and place indoors, or anything else that I can do?
FCC law prohibits HOAs from allowing reasonable antennas. Not sure about landlords, but do some Googling.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If you have a patio or balcony that is exclusively your's to use, the landlord can't block you from putting an antenna there. If the landlord gives you a problem, point them to the FCC's OTARD rules. The FCC also banned exclusive deals that prevent tenants from having a choice in TV and/or internet providers, although there are some loopholes that may or may not apply to your situation, mainly involving how it's billed.

That RCA antenna is designed for the UHF band, so it will give you problems with VHF stations like GPB, NBC and some area LPTV stations.

Also, TVFool is highly outdated and was never updated to reflect the changes in frequencies, tower sites and power levels from the repack. Use RabbitEars instead.

·
Registered
436 Posts

My TVfool report is here: Is there any other report I need to provide for someone here to help me?
The tvfool.com database has not been updated in several years so is more or less useless as a signal tool. You'll need to generate a Signal Search report using the rabbitears.info site:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks to you guys for responding. I have been a tivo user for over a decade, so yes, I've tried every trick I know of to rescan., etc., etc.

Looks like I've just become a CBS viewer now. Their weather forecast is easy to watch anyway...
In Athens the WSB signal strength & decode S/N ratio took a step change upward earlier this week....so may be worth another re-scan, on the chance that it will help your situation. I am crossing my fingers it is a permanent change, and not just a temporary re-location to a different tower as they did during the repack.

·
Registered
742 Posts
WGTV's antenna replacement is happening: Stone Mountain Antenna Tower Replacement
I came here to post about something else, checked the past month of activity first, and saw this. Thank you Trip! I gave up on WGTV a year ago. I have a VHF antenna aimed straight at Stone Mountain JUST to receive WGTV, but stopped getting it a year or two ago (literally, zero lock) and had given up. Gradually I've been replacing all my Tivo record programmings with WPBA 30, which is the second tier PBS in Atlanta so gets their programs late if at all. Last week I started getting a glitchy signal, an improvement at least. Glad to understand why.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey, it looks like France 24 on WTBS-LD 26.4 has been replaced by "NTD", a Falun Gong station:

We were daily watchers of France 24, so hopefully this is just a brief aberration, or it reappears elsewhere. I vaguely recall that this has happened in the past, but maybe I'm just remembering that WTBS's satellite IRD would put up an error screen for days on end until they noticed and reset it :)

Quote from RabbitEars for reference:

26-4​
(30)​
480i (w)​
WTBS-LDATLANTA, GA
Prism Broadcasting​

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
WTBS's owner, Prism, is not known for their professionalism. Their two stations in Las Vegas under went a massive revamp this week with sub-channels moving to and fro and with new diginets joining the clusters. But finding a sub-channel that has the correct audio to match the video is a problem. Vegas viewers need two monitors to follow channels like YouToo. One set to You Too for the video and another set to Biz for the audio. This is rapidly becoming less than enjoyable. NTD is one of the sub-channels without any audio in Vegas. Both of the Vegas Prism station feature a program guide sub-channel. However, data is not accurate. The guide lists stations by wrong display numbering, while other stations have networks that are not on their transmitter. Rumors are that Prism is too busy launching stations in Hawaii to worry about the pesky audio situations in Vegas.

4341 - 4349 of 4349 Posts