AVS Forum banner

4361 - 4373 of 4373 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Approximately 3 weeks ago WSB's signal started breaking up where you couldn't understand what was going on. Clears up for anywhere from 5-30 minutes then starts break up again, this is audio and video. Tried a signal amplifier with no change. This is unique to WSB. All other channels are perfect.

Any ideas? Thanks
There are no problems I am aware of with WSB. No reception problems lately with them here in Acworth.

Sounds to me like something other than your antenna system. Maybe some type of local interference. You could try turning off all the breakers in your house except for the TV and see if it goes away.

Some culprits I have been aware of that sometimes cause severe reception problems on certain frequencies are LED lights, LED floodlights, motion activated lights, the power supplies for undercounter lights, and the switching type power supplies that often power electronic equipment such as laptops, printers, scanners, etc, and I almost forgot--doorbell transformers.

I have a friend who is a ham radio operation who had reception on a VHF frequency completely blocked out whenever the LED motion activated floodlights under the eave of his roof would turn on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are no problems I am aware of with WSB. No reception problems lately with them here in Acworth.

Sounds to me like something other than your antenna system. Maybe some type of local interference. You could try turning off all the breakers in your house except for the TV and see if it goes away.

Some culprits I have been aware of that sometimes cause severe reception problems on certain frequencies are LED lights, LED floodlights, motion activated lights, the power supplies for undercounter lights, and the switching type power supplies that often power electronic equipment such as laptops, printers, scanners, etc, and I almost forgot--doorbell transformers.

I have a friend who is a ham radio operation who had reception on a VHF frequency completely blocked out whenever the LED motion activated floodlights under the eave of his roof would turn on.
OK, given the location of my antenna, there is nothing, flood lights, power supplies, etc... that are within 20 feet of the antenna. However, I will scout around to see. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I everyone. Just found this site researching a OTA problem with Atlanta Ch 11 WXIA. No signal OTA for 11.1 via a Tivo Edge or direct from antenna to TV. Same condition on two TVs with same model Tivo. Happened on Wednesday March 3rd. All other major channels good as usual (2.1,5.1, 46.1) I'm north of Canton, south of Ball Ground. Anyone else with this problem? I'd do a Tivo reset but the TV-direct says to me there just isn't a signal???

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
My signal quality to WXIA is no different than when I checked it on Feb 19.

Maybe try a re-scan or see if you can play the dual-cast of WXIA on UHF channel 25 (virtual 11.11). The primary is on VHF channel 10 (Virtual 11.1).

·
Registered
4 Posts
My signal quality to WXIA is no different than when I checked it on Feb 19.

Maybe try a re-scan or see if you can play the dual-cast of WXIA on UHF channel 25 (virtual 11.11). The primary is on VHF channel 10 (Virtual 11.1).
Thanks, that is very helpful. I did a re-scan and found 11.11. It's working fine. I noticed on DTV Reception Maps that 11.1 is Hi-V. None of the other channels we watch are??? Also, I was installing a power inlet box and turned off the main breaker the same day it happened. I don't want to admit I probably did it to myself :)

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Among full-power stations in Atlanta, only WGTV and WXIA are on high-VHF.

- Trip

·
Registered
3 Posts
RE: Post # 4361 about problems with WSB's signal breaking up. I apparently found the problem. I was removing the signal amplifier from the antenna connection and the cable connector came off the cable. Not a surprise, the RG6 cable was run when the house was built in 1992. I repaired the connector with a new connector and in the process re-aligned the cable and found it was laying over a neon light. We don't use that particular light so I didn't think about it (besides i'm 74 years old) until I was checking the signal out later that day and low and behold WSB is feeding me a solid signal as are all the other stations have been doing. So I am assuming that the RG6 laying over that neon light was the issue. Thanks again to those who posted suggestions!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
RE: Post # 4361 about problems with WSB's signal breaking up. I apparently found the problem. I was removing the signal amplifier from the antenna connection and the cable connector came off the cable. Not a surprise, the RG6 cable was run when the house was built in 1992. I repaired the connector with a new connector and in the process re-aligned the cable and found it was laying over a neon light. We don't use that particular light so I didn't think about it (besides i'm 74 years old) until I was checking the signal out later that day and low and behold WSB is feeding me a solid signal as are all the other stations have been doing. So I am assuming that the RG6 laying over that neon light was the issue. Thanks again to those who posted suggestions!!
Glad you found your problem!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Go to this page and bookmark it>>>

As soon as a station files with the FCC to convert to ATSC 3.0/NextGen, it will be added to the list. It will be highlighted in green as long as it's waiting to be approved. Once approved, it's listing status will be updated. IF there aren't any broadcasters that have filed for ATSC 3.0 in the Atlanta TV market, you won't see #8 Atlanta on the list.

Reactions: tmdorsey
4361 - 4373 of 4373 Posts