AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been eyeing the Paradigm Cinema 330 (flat panel speaker) and Atlantic Technology FS-3200 (flat panel speaker) for the last few months. I auditioned the paradigm and think they sound good, but the only AT dealer around only install the speakers and do not have an auditioning room. I will obviously audtioned the Atlantic's before I buy them , however acoustic memory is short and I wanted some opinions on the two. The Paradigm 330's have (2) 4.5" midbass and (2) 4.5" bass drivers, while the AT FS-3200 have (2) 4.5" bass drivers with (2) pressure radiators (passive speakers) from a physics/speaker standpoint will the paradigm sound fuller because they have more active drivers? I like how the AT FS-3200 use heavily braced MDF cabinet construction over the Plastic cabinet that the Paradigm 330 use. In addition, I like how the AT surround speakers have a switch for dipole/bipole that would make them very flexible for multi-channel and movies.

I know both of these companies have good reputations, but does the above mentioned differences really amount to alot in sound quality? Or since they are basically in the same price range will they sound very similiar with only minor differences? Let me know your thoughts on my concerns or these speakers. Thanks

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
The Atlantics will sound a lot fuller. Passive radiators are essentially low-distortion ports, allowing it to reach deeper. The Paradigms are sealed, so the roll off is slower, but occurs very early (130hz?). The Atlantics are better designed with an off-center tweeter, allowing a more uniform soundstage across the front using typical placement. They have a HF energy switch to better match the highs for either over-reflective or over-absorbant rooms. They have a boundary compensation switch which allows you to accurately tune the lows for either on-wall placement, or free-standing placement. When you add real MDF enclosures that minimize resonances to all that, it's a no-brainer. I would go with the ATs, without a second thought - a brilliantly engineered lifestyle product that gives up very little.

EDIT: I almost sound like a magazine article.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. It seems like AT FS-3200 reviews have noted that the AT sound very similiar to traditional audiophile grade speakers, which is a good compliment for any on-wall/flat panel speaker.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the AT fs 3200 Fronts L,R,C They sound great for HT and Music. I have a very Live room (hardwood floors big windows etc) and with the switch options on back of the speakers it really makes a difference, where you can best fit your room acoustics. They are made very well and give you allot of different brackets (straight, or angled to toe in speakers). I love the metal grill covers (w my 2 young children I don't have to worry about them poking something through to speaker.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've listened to the two of them side by side, and the Atlantics sound much better. They both sound similar in the lower frequencies, but the Atlantics toast them in the mid to high range. They are much clearer, more dynamic, and voices sound more natural.

-K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.