Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there from a noobie down in NZ!

Well occasionally we get to see the technology that you guys take for granted in the US & Europe. I'm looking at a speaker system for a dedicated HT room (about 18ft x 11ft) and we have the newly announced Atlantic Technology 4200 system arriving in stores in a couple of weeks.

I know this is only recently released but has anyone had the chance to listen to this system, say at CES? I've heard the system 8200 and loved it but way too much $$ - the 4200 looks to be around my price point.

So far as comparatively priced systems over here we have a far more limited selection than you'll be used to but I have managed to audition some comparatively priced def techs and polks.

This will be a dedicated HT system so no real need to cater for music. If theer are any strong views against the Atlantic system do you have any recommendations for auditions.

TIA,

Peter

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Peter,

I am also looking at Atlantic Technology, specifically the 6200 system. From the reviews I've read, the speakers perform. The appealing thing to me is the pedSubwoofers that sit below the main LR speakers. I am currently using an M&K THX 350 sub, which I really like, but its an unsightly wart in my HT setup. Would like to replace it with something more aesthetic. However, I noticed in one of the reviews I read that placing the subs under the LR speakers may not be the best location for a sub. I guess it all comes down to what you hear.

James

·
Registered
859 Posts
i listened to a pair of atlantic tech speakers that sell for about 800 usd retail 2 weeks ago. Didn't bother with the name of the speaker. Granted it was being powered by a lousy Yamaha AV receiver, but... I was underwhelmed.

The sound of it, i could listen to. But the soundstage was really really small. they were just placed 6 feet apart, and they couldn't image squat. the sound stayed in the middle was about it. But they were all mixed in together... you couldn't pull one instrument out from the other.

turns out, i placed them too far apart. the dealer then placed them 4 feet from each other, and then did i saw some imaging happened. And they weren't pin point, even.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I guess its too early to have seen the 4200s then, but I sure am looking forward to finally hearing them. I'll post my views when I do.

Its a shame we don't get to see/hear as many alternatives as those available north of the equator (with a big :D to my friends in Oz & SA!) but I guess that makes decision making a bit easier.

haven't heard the 6200 system but the 8200 was awesome. One of the first speakers I completely forgot about and got immersed in the movie (HT1000 by the way.)

Anyway - if anyone does get to hear these speakers first and can post an opinion it'd be much appreciated. BTW I'd be looking to pair them with an Marantz SR8300.

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you all don't mind, I'll jump in on your discussion regarding the new Atlantic Technology 4200 THX system.

First off, for those of you who have read a review or experienced the 8200 system first hand, you are going to be in heaven, because the 4200 utilizes the identical midrange and tweeter drive units as the 8200 LCR! Hence, the amazing musicality and staging the 8200 exhibits, will also be found in the 4200.

It's important to note that the 8200, 6200 and 4200 systems utilize our C.O.R.E. technology which stands for Custom Optimized Room Enhanced. Custom optimized represents the removable side panels which allow amazing flexibility in finish and cosmetic options. (Just ask anyone who has seen the leather wrapped 6200 or purple metal flake 8200 at CEDIA or CES, how cool this is) And the Room Enhanced feature set is what makes this system among the very best when installed in your room or environment. We have engineered specific filter sets that are switchable on each LCR speaker to compensate for overly bright or damped rooms. To compensate for location behind per fed screens. And to compensate for corner loading or cabinet loading effects when installed inside another enclosure. i.e. custom wood cabinet.

Our website will be updated shortly with full information, but in the meantime, feel free to contact me off line and I'd be happy to send you electronic manual and info sheets as required. [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark,

Welcome to the (so far short) thread. However, I've read the press release and seen the specs & photos etc. I've read the reviews of the 6200 and 8200 and had a good listen to the 8200.

What I'd really value from the good folks at this forum is simply any first impressions 'cause I assumed you'd get them over there before we see them here (down under.) And i'm just too darned impatient :D !

Anyways, I'm told they are only a couple of weeks away from our shores and all being well I'll post my impressions as soon thereafter... in the meantime I'll just be off to audition the competition ;)

Cheers

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.