AVS Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Mumbles: Thanks man! Yes, learned alot about tools and how to do things from Youtube and other AVS'ers. Very helpful forum and I do hope to stay with it and learn more. I noticed you are in Atlanta. :) I am just northeast of Atlanta in the suburbs. I will post some pics soon.

Btw, for those interested in pricing on carpet: Carpet cost was $15/yard on pickup and add in 8lb Pad + Install = ~$1100 Total.

All I can say is WOW! The fact that you had to watch videos of how to use some of your tools and then turn out something this great is nothing short of amazing! Keep up the work and I'm really looking forward to your next round of pics!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mumbles: Thanks man! Yes, learned alot about tools and how to do things from Youtube and other AVS'ers. Very helpful forum and I do hope to stay with it and learn more. I noticed you are in Atlanta. :) I am just northeast of Atlanta in the suburbs. I will post some pics soon.

Btw, for those interested in pricing on carpet: Carpet cost was $15/yard on pickup and add in 8lb Pad + Install = ~$1100 Total.
My pleasure sir! We are in the process of moving to a new house that is in the sticks roughly 20 mins from Chattanooga, but still in GA... so northwest of Atlanta :). I'll start a build thread once we are moved in, an will likely refer to your build especially for the trim work and star ceiling!

Also, I loved your mention of how you picked the constellation pattern based on the birth date/time of your daughter... had to share that tidbit with my wife!

·
Registered
230 Posts

Not sure if I introduced myself before but I'm in Milton (still in the dreaming stage of my theater). Any time you're ready to host a GTG I'll bring the cold beverages

Edit: well, maybe not while the pandemic numbers are exploding again of course...
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not sure if I introduced myself before but I'm in Milton (still in the dreaming stage of my theater). Any time you're ready to host a GTG I'll bring the cold beverages

Edit: well, maybe not while the pandemic numbers are exploding again of course...

I am totally down with a GTG, but like you, still in the dreaming stage...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Guys, lighting is tough in the room which makes taking pics difficult. Here are some pics prior to carpet getting installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Reach out anytime if you need anything. :)

My pleasure sir! We are in the process of moving to a new house that is in the sticks roughly 20 mins from Chattanooga, but still in GA... so northwest of Atlanta :). I'll start a build thread once we are moved in, an will likely refer to your build especially for the trim work and star ceiling!

Also, I loved your mention of how you picked the constellation pattern based on the birth date/time of your daughter... had to share that tidbit with my wife!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Sounds good man. I can tell you that the experience is very rewarding. I will shift to building absorption panels, picture frames, etc., once carpeting is complete. The room needs work from acoustics perspective if an audiophile walks in the room but I am still learning some of this. There are plenty of small improvements I can do but some major misses this time around will get addressed in next home theater. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
So, got the premium speaker grill cloth from SeymourAV and @ $8.17 per linear foot + $35 in shipping to Georgia (65" width), not bad. It certainly is better material than stuff I could find at Joann or Hobby Lobby. Now, it is a bit more transparent than I would like so still thinking through this some more. I have two areas to hit with fabric ( 6 columns (2 have speakers in them), and below the screen area (where subs and LCR sit). My thinking is go SeymourAV speaker fabric below the screen and perhaps do something else for columns that is a bit less transparent. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Also, has anyone seen similar quality speaker fabric as SeymourAV elsewhere?

Adding in some more pics. Finally built Retropie on Raspberry Pi 4 so family could enjoy old classic games (NES, SNES, SEGA, N64, etc.). On a 150" screen, with sound system, pure enjoyment for the family. Overall, an awesome add to the theater. Wife and Kids are just blown away. :) Carpet was just installed and we stayed up until 5:30AM first night playing games, watching movies, dancing, etc. Can't wait to finish the columns and screen panels.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sounds good man. I can tell you that the experience is very rewarding. I will shift to building absorption panels, picture frames, etc., once carpeting is complete. The room needs work from acoustics perspective if an audiophile walks in the room but I am still learning some of this. There are plenty of small improvements I can do but some major misses this time around will get addressed in next home theater. :)

I believe I've got the process down on printing your own sound absorption movie poster panels using gimp, so if you need some assistance just let me know.

Pretty big thread describing the process here; https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1316623-diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap.html

Go to the last 10 - 15 pages for the most recent recommendations/tips.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Jay,

Appreciate you asking the question. Honestly, not sure what all options are available. I connected with BIG who mentioned GOM FR701 and GOM Anchorage as options. I have orders some samples of both from ATS Acoustics today. I was following Force Theater thread and that's where I picked up on SeymourAV speaker grill being used in front under the screen.

-Atlmax

Nice work. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

**not advice, rather a question***
Just wondering why not use GOM anchorage or similar in black vs speaker cloth? Cost vs acoustic properties?

Keep it up!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just popped in from your comment on my build thread. Yours looks great so far!

On my columns (all of which have speakers in them) I used black DMD fabric from Acoustimac. As an example of how light doesn't really pass through DMD - see pics below. I didn't bother painting the drywall inside the columns (or anywhere else behind the fabric). You can't see any of it through the DMD.

Unpainted drywall etc. looking toward the back-right corner of the room -

Roughly the same area after DMD panels, lights on 100%

At one point I was testing whether LEDs could be used to make a lighting scene to "show off" all the speakers around the room (kinda like in the AMC Dolby rooms if you've been to one) - and I found that light really doesn't pass through DMD well. Even with an LED strip on full blast it would just show a faint glow through the DMD.

I did paint my grille frames and wall frames black to keep the wood from possibly showing. Other than that, nothing is painted behind the fabric.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
James, I will order some samples of DMD as well. I have posted some samples I recently received. Anchorage could go below the screen. I am still leaning towards Seymour AV for columns.

Just popped in from your comment on my build thread. Yours looks great so far!

On my columns (all of which have speakers in them) I used black DMD fabric from Acoustimac. As an example of how light doesn't really pass through DMD - see pics below. I didn't bother painting the drywall inside the columns (or anywhere else behind the fabric). You can't see any of it through the DMD.

Unpainted drywall etc. looking toward the back-right corner of the room -

Roughly the same area after DMD panels, lights on 100%

At one point I was testing whether LEDs could be used to make a lighting scene to "show off" all the speakers around the room (kinda like in the AMC Dolby rooms if you've been to one) - and I found that light really doesn't pass through DMD well. Even with an LED strip on full blast it would just show a faint glow through the DMD.

I did paint my grille frames and wall frames black to keep the wood from possibly showing. Other than that, nothing is painted behind the fabric.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
So, here are GOM FR701, Anchorage, and SeymourAV samples. Leaning toward Onyx Anchorage for below the screen panels and SeymourAV for Columns. Will try DMD as well.

-Atlmax

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
There is something super fun about playing retro games on a big screen, I do the same but I sold my Raspberry Pi and doing all my emulation through my nVidia Shield tv pro as it has more grunt for N64 games :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Daniel, you are correct. My seven year old son is loving Super Mario World (The game I grew up playing). I have not tried nVidia Shield TV Pro. I did upgrade from Raspberry PI 3 to PI 4 and it is a major improvement. N64 games play alot better. Also, Dreamcast games work great on PI 4.

There is something super fun about playing retro games on a big screen, I do the same but I sold my Raspberry Pi and doing all my emulation through my nVidia Shield tv pro as it has more grunt for N64 games :)

61 - 76 of 76 Posts