Ok, so here we go.

I've got the following:

Denon AVR-X3600H
Epson 4010
All high speed HDMI cables
Amazon Firestick 4k
Lenovo laptop (supports atmos and 4k)

The issue...
Using the Firestick, I can get 4k for Netflix, Prime and Disney+.

I used to get Atmos for Disney+, now I can't. I've never been able to get Atmos for either Netflix or Prime.

If I plug my laptop in, I can get 4k and Atmos with the Netflix App. However, I can't get 4K or Atmos w/ Prime through the browser or the App.

At this point, I don't have a 4k player, so streaming is my only option.

The question, what gives with Atmos!? Why is it such a challenge to get it, when I don't have a weak link. I watched the Mandalorian in 4k w/ Atmos on the Firestick, and I just watched 6 Underground in 4k w/ Atmos using my laptop.

This is absolutely ridiculous, I don't want to spend $200 on an Nvidia Shield, but that seems like the only option.

Anyone have any tips, or is it a lost cause to believe at this point, that I can get Atmos and 4k from a Firestick 4k?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
For Netflix you need to have their top tier UHD plan and one of the devices that supports Atmos from Netflix. As far as I know the Firestick is not supported by Netflix for Atmos playback. On prime there are very few shows that have Atmos. You should try Jack Ryan, Suspiria or Carnival Row as those titles all have Atmos. I don’t use a Firestick so I can’t speak to the settings required but you may want to double check in the threads for that device to make sure you are setup correctly. The device that has the most access to Atmos titles is the Apple TV 4K. With that device you will get Atmos with Apple TV +, ITunes movies, Netflix, Prime and Vudu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
This may have something to do with it, but you said you got Atmos recently.

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=25b2ff991b098010a24eb8c11a4bcb21
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/disney-plus-dolby-atmos-not-working-4019098

Maybe it's only changed during peak usage.

An older article described problems with playback, but I would hope it was resolved by now.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/disney-plus-dolby-atmos-problems/

Besides the Shield TV Pro, there's the "regular" Shield TV and the Apple TV 4K, but they're relatively pricey themselves.
However, they seem to offer the best coverage of 4K streaming.

The issue...
Using the Firestick, I can get 4k for Netflix, Prime and Disney+.
I used to get Atmos for Disney+, now I can't. I've never been able to get Atmos for either Netflix or Prime.

The question, what gives with Atmos!?
I don't want to spend $200 on an Nvidia Shield, but that seems like the only option.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For Netflix you need to have their top tier UHD plan and one of the devices that supports Atmos from Netflix. As far as I know the Firestick is not supported by Netflix for Atmos playback. On prime there are very few shows that have Atmos. You should try Jack Ryan, Suspiria or Carnival Row as those titles all have Atmos. I don’t use a Firestick so I can’t speak to the settings required but you may want to double check in the threads for that device to make sure you are setup correctly. The device that has the most access to Atmos titles is the Apple TV 4K. With that device you will get Atmos with Apple TV +, ITunes movies, Netflix, Prime and Vudu.

Ya, I've got the primo Netflix sub.

It's clear from what I'm reading, the Firestick is the root cause. In terms of Prime, I've tried everything. There's no way to get Atmos, or I'm missing something.

I did order a Roku streaming stick+ on Amazon, because like the Firestick, it's supposed to support Atmos and 4k. That said, my reading tells me the Roku will respond the same way. Amazon returns are easy so I figure I'd try.

What's really got me confused, since I typed out all the scenarios is, from my Laptop, Netflix is perfect, but Prime won't do 4k or Atmos.

What happened to the days of plug and play!?

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Atmos works 100% thru disks....everything else,...not soo much :D

You have to jump thru hoops and the hoops seem to change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^^

I hear ya, but even then I'm not fully convinced.

And the only way to find out is to buy a 4k player and movie. That doesn't sound cheap.

Which brings me to my next beef. PS5 won't support ATMOS, which make ZERO sense. But...I digress.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like buying a Ferrari on an island, no where to go! :(
Exactly!

Well the Roku Streaming Stick+ is capable of exactly what the firestick is. 4K but no Atmos!

So even though my basement is jacked and ready, my only option is Netflix from the Windows 10 App or spend $200ish more. Screw that.

These streaming providers are a sham!

·
Registered
4 Posts
cant you just download cinemahd onto the firstick using downloader and then pay 10 pound for 3 months of real debrid that way you get streams of 4k and atmos, also in your firestick 4k in audio have you selected atmos

·
Registered
864 Posts
Exactly!

Well the Roku Streaming Stick+ is capable of exactly what the firestick is. 4K but no Atmos!

So even though my basement is jacked and ready, my only option is Netflix from the Windows 10 App or spend $200ish more. Screw that.

These streaming providers are a sham!

The Fire TV Stick 4K does handle Atmos. Unfortunately as said above, not through the Netflix app.
Amazon Prime doesn't have many Atmos titles. It's pretty barren.
Here's a screenshot of S1 of "Jack Ryan" which happens to also be one of the very few items in Dolby Vision on Amazon Prime:

CFC

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Fire TV Stick 4K does handle Atmos. Unfortunately as said above, not through the Netflix app.
Amazon Prime doesn't have many Atmos titles. It's pretty barren.
Here's a screenshot of S1 of "Jack Ryan" which happens to also be one of the very few items in Dolby Vision on Amazon Prime:

CFC
So, based on what I've read, I gather the only way to get Atmos on Prime, is if your equipment can handle Dolby vision.

I know Carnival Row has Atmos, which is my one of my test shows. I can't get Atmos with Prime through the Firestick, my laptop or the Roku streaming stick+, but my equipment doesn't support dolby vision.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
So, based on what I've read, I gather the only way to get Atmos on Prime, is if your equipment can handle Dolby vision.

I know Carnival Row has Atmos, which is my one of my test shows. I can't get Atmos with Prime through the Firestick, my laptop or the Roku streaming stick+, but my equipment doesn't support dolby vision.

I have Atmos on Prime without Dolby Vision. The Apple TV 4K is Dolby Vision capable but my projector is not. Sell your sticks and buy an Apple TV 4K and you will have plenty of Atmos. I just watched Greyhound in Atmos and it sounded excellent!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have Atmos on Prime without Dolby Vision. The Apple TV 4K is Dolby Vision capable but my projector is not. Sell your sticks and buy an Apple TV 4K and you will have plenty of Atmos. I just watched Greyhound in Atmos and it sounded excellent!

The thought has definitely crossed my mind. I just don't know if I can justify $260 bucks.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
cant you just download cinemahd onto the firstick using downloader and then pay 10 pound for 3 months of real debrid that way you get streams of 4k and atmos, also in your firestick 4k in audio have you selected atmos
well it just depends on if he is okay with pirating the content then yeah using CinemaHD would be one way of doing it but depending on where he is located he would want to also setup a VPN as well.

As far as the nVidia Shield TV, at this point get the new Pro, you will not regret it, so feature packed and so versatile, and you can play a lot of games with it and emulate retro games and the list goes on and on and on, totally worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts