AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Imagine Dragons "Smoke + Mirrors Live"

https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Mirror...42408&sr=8-1&keywords=imagine+dragons+blu+ray

Very solid Atmos blu ray. A "you are there" mix as opposed to music from everywhere. Highly recommended and won't break the bank. You need to go to setup and select Atmos as stereo is the default.
Yes I have this one. The band is one of a few modern pop oriented artists that I enjoy and respect, as they write their own songs and actually play and sing live. Coldplay would be another example.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
As this thread just got a bump...

Sony--proponent of the widely ignored MiniDisc technology--seems to agree with the OP. However their new "360 Reality Audio" system (aka "360RA"), announced at CES 2019, uses the mpeg-h 3D audio codec (successor to mp3) rather than Atmos. I suspect we should wait until Fall 2019, or perhaps CES 2020, to see what is the quality|quantity of the initial music roll out, and the "street price".

Not holding my breath...

_

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Reactions: m0j0

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Miles Davis in Atmos sounds like sucker bait for Japanese audiophiles. How do you do a 12 or 14 track mix of something that was recorded on three or four tracks originally? Atmos should be derived from a 24 track to mean anything.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
For those looking for more Electronica, I saw a video of DeadMau5 new crib and his totally custom Atmos mixing room. I'd expect a bunch of new material from him to be released in Atmos.
This is supposedly the first personal Atmos mix-desk out there.

Here's the video:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
For those looking for more Electronica, I saw a video of DeadMau5 new crib and his totally custom Atmos mixing room. I'd expect a bunch of new material from him to be released in Atmos.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBiqFNNfudA
still don't believe any Atmos material available from him yet- been long wait thou DSU was made for electronic stuff

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBiqFNNfudA
The $64K question: will these hypothetical Atmos mixes from Deadmau5 be restricted to the club scene or make their way into availability for consumer purchase via download or BD?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Given the current somewhat "lethargic" state of immersive audio music creation|distribution, I can't help but think that Dolby (and competitor codec vendors) might be awaiting a hoped-for bump in immersive audio interest with the anticipated 2020|2021 roll out of ATSC 3.0 tv in US major markets. That should make the name of the Dolby AC-4 audio codec familiar to a much wider audience . . . and focusing only on immersive audio music creation|distribution using the more efficient Dolby AC-4 codec would likely reduce consumer confusion about Atmos vs. AC-4 choice...

_

·
Registered
18 Posts
The $64K question: will these hypothetical Atmos mixes from Deadmau5 be restricted to the club scene or make their way into availability for consumer purchase via download or BD?
Would be a shame if it was only for the club scene - most people probably wouldn't appreciate or even notice the positional sound (too many bodies absorbing sound, not enough sobriety). Many venues are also only setup for LR positional at most (e.g. Armin's Ping Pong track)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Great thread. I just ordered the Imagine Dragons Blu-Ray thanks to this.

I'm so amazed by Atmos. The only reason I tried it out is because my old receiver died and I replaced it. My old receiver was a 11.2 Denon and the Audyssey DSX front heights and rear surrounds were in close the same place Atmos wants ceiling speakers to be. I really didn't expect much...

...but I was so blown away, that after 1 day, I started a total teardown and rebuild of my home theater to get the speakers exactly where the Dolby white paper says they should be. It's interesting that back in the day, Dolby recommended putting surrounds up high, 3 or more feet above ear level for home theaters, which I did. Now I need to move them all down, which is a bit of work when all the wires are run in-wall!! Damn you Dolby!!! Heh Heh.

Can't wait, should be done in a week or two, the first thing I will try is the Imagine Dragons Atmos mix. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
For music fans without height speakers, this will just be TrueHD 7.1 (or 5.1) music on BD . . . Didn't UMG already try to find a market for that a year or two ago...?! :cool:
If Universal's HFPA Blu-ray audio disc releases are anything to go by, they'll loose interest in Atmos releases pretty quickly ;)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
How did you get this for free? It says $50 on the bottom.

It was a free download straight from his website back when I got it but I can see they are now charging for it. I guess the early bird gets the (free) worm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 62 Posts