7 Posts
Bummer. Maybe I can find one to download somewhere on the interwebs

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Will see if there is available later the Album in Dolby Atmos in Bluray or download editions.
They don't have a BD for sale on their site. I doubt one is coming later. If they make it available after the event, I imagine it will only be via streaming (Amazon HD or Tidal). Unfortunately, access to Atmos streaming is severely limited right now.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Since it did not get its theatrical release, Apple TV+ added Pearl Jam’s Gigaton (Visual Album Experience) in HD Dolby Vision+Atmos. It is free for one week to everyone with an Apple TV or app, without a TV+ subscription.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Social Network was remixed in Atmos. “Available now” on Amazon Music HD. They are thinking about a physical release. I’ve got to say the original BD is one of my most listened to surround discs. I’d double dip in a heartbeat for this.
I'm excited at the prospect of The Fragile being released in Atmos!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
The most immersive Atmos album I've heard so far is Lichtmond - The Journey (kind of like Delerium/Enigma meets Pink Floyd). It has vocals, instruments and voices moving in 24' circles (and about every other location in the room, making it probably the best demo for sound placement I've heard, Vetter than any Atmos movie I've seen). The music is pretty good too. It also has CGI space/planet visuals in either 2D or 3D (3D depth and out of screen more than any other title I've seen too and I own over 225 3D movies).

If you have Auro-3D support, their previous album Lichtmond 3 - Days of Eternity is also great (It upmixes fairly well with Neural X even if you don't have Auro-3D).

Mando Diao's Aelita album is also awesome in Auro-3D. Sadly, most music albums I've heard with immersion are in Auro-3D and even then there are only so many titles. A lot of Atmos stuff is live concerts and they usually just use surround for audience clapping (nice ambience, but dull compared to more trippy stuff).

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I just listened to Booka Shade's Galvany Street in Dolby Atmos (Pure Audio Blu-Ray). It and their newer album Dear Future Self are both Atmos demo worthy albums, putting on a more impressive demonstration than ANY Atmos movie or demo I've heard thus far. Galvany Street is a bit more musically structured than Dear Future Self with lyrics in most tracks, both being house/techno/trance type music in genre and Dear Future Self being a bit more abstract with deeper bass. Both place sounds and instruments all over the room and ceiling in ways that might not work well for traditional instruments but fit techno like a glove. In fact, I'm convinced disco style music in general would be awesome in Atmos (get me a remix of Staying Alive by the Bee Gees or Domino Dancing by the Pet Shop Boys in Atmos stat!)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Yello's new album POINT is now available in Dolby Atmos on a Pure Audio Blu-Ray. I just ordered one from jpc.de. To the US it was just over $36. I've read good things about the Atmos mix. Hopefully, they're correct. :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yello's new album POINT is now available in Dolby Atmos on a Pure Audio Blu-Ray. I just ordered one from jpc.de. To the US it was just over $36. I've read good things about the Atmos mix. Hopefully, they're correct. :)
Please report back your impressions. I've been holding off on this ATMOS release pending some feedback.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Please report back your impressions. I've been holding off on this ATMOS release pending some feedback.
I plan to, but it might be awhile before it gets here from Germany. ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cross-posted from QQ forum:

Listening Yello - Point from Tidal Atmos, It's the first time I have enjoyed much more walking around my home theater room than listening at the MLP seat.

Specially with some tracks, no matter where you are moving or standing the sound is moving all around and some time it seems it follows you. You walk around and when you pass trough under a ceiling Atmos speaker you hear a kind of phantasmagorical voice coming just above you from that speaker and then immediately it moves to your back or to your front. And you are not seat at the MLP.

For me, this is the most 'Reference demo' of what Dolby Atmos (or immersive format) can do, that I have ever heard!

Those of you that have bought the Blu-ray, please tell us if it has any additional video, animations or whatever that could enhance the Tidal Atmos experience. (Just to convince me of buying it also ;)).

Reactions: weekendtoy

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
It tends to "follow you around" if it's phantom image between the sets of speakers or an arrayed overhead sound (e.g. Back to the Future in Atmos does this with many effects; they move towards the back of the room as you move towards it).

·
Registered
303 Posts
It tends to "follow you around" if it's phantom image between the sets of speakers or an arrayed overhead sound (e.g. Back to the Future in Atmos does this with many effects; they move towards the back of the room as you move towards it).
Well, I did not check enough to confirm whether it image sounds between speakers or just the objects are tied to single speakers.

Perhaps I did not explain it correctly. With "follow me around" I just wanted to express that while walking around some sounds moving around 'occasionally' come to the speaker near me at that moment. Thus it looks like that sound has 'find me'.

I mean, there is such amount of movement of some sounds that you enjoy them either sitting at the MLP or even walking around. You don't need to be seated at the MLP to notice better sound effects or 'imaging better'. At another place or even walking around, like in a party with more people, the effects of sounds moving around are perceived in bigger quantity than from other titles Atmos mixes.

I have a single seats line with a sofa, with space enough around it to walk around, in a Living Room not dedicated theatre. I tested all that combined with the Phillips HUE lighting controlled by some 'Disco' apps. That makes it a very good candidate for parties with that musical fun style.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
It's safe to say that the John Williams - Live in Vienna - Dolby Atmos 2-disc (1 CD + 1 Blu-Ray) set sounds pretty great. The Blu-Ray includes Dolby Atmos (with subset TrueHD 7.1), DTS-HD MA 2.0 (Stereo) and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mixes on it. I found the presentation almost seemed to vary by seating location in the hall in Vienna depending on the mix and settings I used. For instance, using Neural X with the 2.0 mix sounded like I was right up front near the pit. Atmos sounded mid-back with very noticeable ambience and the room sounded much larger than my mere 12'x24' room should. Engaging Neural X with the TrueHD 7.1 base layer resulted in oddly similar to Atmos imaging. Using Neural X with the DTS-HD MA 5.1 track resulted in a massive image that kind of sounded like the roof jumped by 50 feet or more higher in the air.

Dolby Atmos probably sounded a bit more natural, but I couldn't help but be impressed by that Neural X image off the 5.1 track. It wasn't quite so big with Neural X off the TrueHD 7.1 base track, IMO so I'm not sure if they miked the 5.1 mix separately from the Atmos/7.1 mix or what, but they seemed somewhat different in size/image/space. I concentrated the mode changes on one track (Star Wars Imperial March off the AUDIO ONLY section). All three mixes had plenty of bass and high quality recording, although my ear/sinuses have been a bit wonky the past week or thereabouts (with a recurring 56Hz vibration in my right ear on/off at times almost like that "world hum" thing I've seen described, but I think it's most likely wax against the ear drum or something) so I wouldn't entirely trust my absolute sense of sound quality right now, but it still sounded pretty darn good. I gotta love Star Wars and Indiana Jones themes played live.

The Blu-Ray contains both a full live concert with video footage and 6 more tracks than the CD or Audio Only section of the Blu-Ray (19 songs versus 13). The audio only tracks don't have any applause/audience in them and are in a different order so I wonder if they were possibly recorded separately from the main show? I'm not sure I agree with all the specific tracks they chose from some of the movies (I mean Jaws without the main shark attack theme?), but still it's a great set.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts