AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm presently upgrading my theater room for Dolby Atmos.

All the speakers in the room are Paradigm Signatures (S8, C5, ADP5, ADP3). I have a 7.2 design right now and am going to add 4 overhead mounted speakers. The mounting point for the overhead speakers is about 8 ft high or roughly 2.3x ear height of the listener.

So here is my question - what speakers would work best for the overhead mounts? I need to keep the speakers fairly light and small. While I would love to go with Paradigms again I was also considering the Martin Logan Motion 15s as they sound wonderful in the demo room and have a decent cost point. Are these speakers too narrow a dispersion cone to work well in an Atmos setup? Under the brochure it says it has a "Controlled Dispersion" and the Atmos white paper seems to imply that a wide dispersion is best.

Would these ML Motion 15s work well in this situation if angled at the listener or what other speakers would you recommend that maintain that size/weight/quality of build?

Thanks so much for all the insight.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Dolby engineer who had his hands into Atmos uses Tannoy Di6Dc's..............................don't let the outdoor speaker application bother you! ;)
I saw that! The speakers look decent and the price point isn't bad at all - I think my only concern is that they press in all the white papers that the system should be timbre matched to your existing speakers. My entire system is Paradigm Signature speakers at the moment. Are the Paradigm Studio 10 v5 or Prestige 15Bs overkill or too directional for this purpose?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Lets face it, 99% of the speakers out there do not have a timbre matched in ceiling speaker available. I installed four Martin Logan ml-67's and am very happy with them (my mains are Aerial 7T's.) I've heard very good things about the Tannoy's as well. I don't have Atmos yet, just have mine hooked up to the High/wide channels for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts