AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to setup a 7.2.4 system. I prefer the KISS method to receivers and would like all 11 amps contained in the receiver, but the choices seem to be limited. The Anthem is a bit more than I really want to spend and I had HDMI board issues with my current Onkyo, so I don't know if I want to send them more of my money. I heard Denon was working on an 11 amp model, but that could have been internet folklore.

I have started looking at receivers with 11 channel processing and only 9 amps and my question is for these is it possible to assign the 9 amps to the center/surround channels and use an external amp for the front L/R? It just seem silly (and potentially unbalanced) to use an external amp for 2 of the Atmos speakers.

Are there any other 11 amp models coming to market in the next 6 months?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a Denon AVR-7200WA with 9 amps onboard expandible to 11 with outboard 2 channel amp. Our resident expert JDSmoothie has more info but the 7200 can be assigned in any configuration. 150WPC, full 4K compliance, etc!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I would think that all receivers with 11 channel processing and only 9 amps could be set to use the external amp for L/R. You start losing Watt/per channel power after 3 or 4 channels on most AVR's. Even Anthem does not demo playing all 11 channels from the AVR, that is a lot of power for 1 small power supply. Any one that is running 11 speakers in one room really should not be using just one power supply. I myself would get an external 3 channel amp to run the front stage.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just recently bought the Marantz SR7010. It too is 9 channels internally amplified, 2 extras with an external power amp.
I haven't delved into the depths of options, but you can use the default setup options to assign the external power amp to the front left and right or rear overheads. More options may exist, but I'm not sure. The former is great if, for example, you have a "proper stereo" and want to use the stereo's speakers for your fronts. Just hook the receiver preamp outputs to your stereo's aux inputs and away you go.
I'm actually using a modest Onkyo M-5010 stereo power amp to drive the rear in ceilings, however. The audio equalization process takes care of different power levels, at least up to the maximum output of the lowest rated amps and / or ear-bleeding levels.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I am looking to setup a 7.2.4 system. I prefer the KISS method to receivers and would like all 11 amps contained in the receiver, but the choices seem to be limited. The Anthem is a bit more than I really want to spend and I had HDMI board issues with my current Onkyo, so I don't know if I want to send them more of my money. I heard Denon was working on an 11 amp model, but that could have been internet folklore.

I have started looking at receivers with 11 channel processing and only 9 amps and my question is for these is it possible to assign the 9 amps to the center/surround channels and use an external amp for the front L/R? It just seem silly (and potentially unbalanced) to use an external amp for 2 of the Atmos speakers.

You'll some recommendations in this recent thread covering similar ground

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2494874-11-ch-support-4k.html

In fact, if you go to advance search, title search only and use 11 as your search word...you'll find other threads like that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The RX-A3060 has 11.2ch processing, 9ch amped. You can reassign the amps so L/R is external, and the remaining C/SL/SR/BL/BR/TFL/TFR/TBL/TBR are internally amped.
Good, affordable 11ch amped AVRs are hard to come by.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
The upcoming Denon X6300H will have 11 amps on board I believe. I'm looking at it as well.

·
Premium Member
89,477 Posts

AFAIK, there are only two major brand 2016 AVRs with 11 amps on board: Denon X6300H (Sep) and Onkyo RZ3100 (originally July but now maybe Aug/Sep).

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I found a lightly used SC-97 for 1200 on craigslist. Somebody talk me out of this! lol Anything I should ask or consider when buying used?
Rather than getting replies with lots of obvious answers, why don't you make a list of the questions and potential issues as you see them. You can then get others thoughts on the list and potential additions.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have the Marantz SR-7010 and love it. I started off with 3 external amplifiers, but down to using the AVR for 9 of the 11 channels and it sounds great, is powerful, etc.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts

I have the X7200WA and I love it. It is the only current Denon or Marantz receiver that has flexible amp assign, so that you can choose which channels to run with your external amps. That's one reason I chose it over the Marantz 7010.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts