AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, need some setup advice. I purchased a Denon x5200 and want to try and turn my current setup into an atmos setup. Right now I run a 5.1 setup, and my (2) surrounds are in the ceiling. I'm hoping to pull those out to fish another speaker wire and run actual surrounds to the corners. Then the (2) overhead will be my Atmos speakers in a 5.1.2 setup. I've attached a photo of my room for reference. You'll see my sectional and recliner are in the corners. The surrounds in the corners at ear level I'm guessing may not be ideal, but it's what's recommended. What do you think I should do? Is all this worth the hassle?

I have a pair of super zeros I can use in the corners, but even those could be big so close to the seating. My other option is some energy micros I have. Thoughts?

Also, I want to run some speaker wire to the outside. My electrician friend suggested just running 1 wire and then daisy chaining the 2 outdoor speakers. I didn't think that was right, but then got the feeling he thought I was the crazy one for thinking otherwise, and maybe I am. So thoughts on that too would be appreciated. If I'm running (2) outdoor speakers, should I run (2) wires, one for each speaker?

As always, thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Regarding my zone, would it be ok to use a monoprice 14ga, 4 conductor wire that's cl2 rated? It's an outdoor patio below my upper deck. The speakers will inevitably get wet and be exposed to the elements. Does this pose any danger to my receiver if the speaker terminals and wire ends get wet?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bumping for some assistance. This is going to be my weekend project, want to make sure I order the right stuff

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Hey Guys, need some setup advice. I purchased a Denon x5200 and want to try and turn my current setup into an atmos setup. Right now I run a 5.1 setup, and my (2) surrounds are in the ceiling. I'm hoping to pull those out to fish another speaker wire and run actual surrounds to the corners. Then the (2) overhead will be my Atmos speakers in a 5.1.2 setup. I've attached a photo of my room for reference. You'll see my sectional and recliner are in the corners. The surrounds in the corners at ear level I'm guessing may not be ideal, but it's what's recommended. What do you think I should do? Is all this worth the hassle?

I have a pair of super zeros I can use in the corners, but even those could be big so close to the seating. My other option is some energy micros I have. Thoughts?

Also, I want to run some speaker wire to the outside. My electrician friend suggested just running 1 wire and then daisy chaining the 2 outdoor speakers. I didn't think that was right, but then got the feeling he thought I was the crazy one for thinking otherwise, and maybe I am. So thoughts on that too would be appreciated. If I'm running (2) outdoor speakers, should I run (2) wires, one for each speaker?

First here is your best resource for atmos questions relative to speaker placement etc

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-dolby-atmos-thread-home-theater-version.html

One of the driving forces behind Atmos focus is location of specific sounds coming from specific localized speakers. Panning effects from above, right to left etc. The electrian telling you to daisy chain the speakers totally defeats the purpose. In essence your are matrixing the channels. let's assume you are using the rear right speaker channel to BOTH the right and left speakers...you lose the localized sounds and effects directed towards the left rear channel.

There is also a speaker thread with a focus on recommendations for speakers used in atmos set ups.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First here is your best resource for atmos questions relative to speaker placement etc

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-dolby-atmos-thread-home-theater-version.html

One of the driving forces behind Atmos focus is location of specific sounds coming from specific localized speakers. Panning effects from above, right to left etc. The electrian telling you to daisy chain the speakers totally defeats the purpose. In essence your are matrixing the channels. let's assume you are using the rear right speaker channel to BOTH the right and left speakers...you lose the localized sounds and effects directed towards the left rear channel.

There is also a speaker thread with a focus on recommendations for speakers used in atmos set ups.
Thanks, the daisy chain was in reference to the speakers for the outdoor patio. I'm going to run a zone 2 outside, while running the wire for the new surrounds. He suggested just running 1 wire to the outside, and then daisy chaining those since it's just music. I still disagree, and think I'll run 2 wires or a (4) conductor wire.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Guys, need some setup advice. I purchased a Denon x5200 and want to try and turn my current setup into an atmos setup. Right now I run a 5.1 setup, and my (2) surrounds are in the ceiling. I'm hoping to pull those out to fish another speaker wire and run actual surrounds to the corners. Then the (2) overhead will be my Atmos speakers in a 5.1.2 setup.
You shouldn't need to "pull" the speaker wire from the surrounds in the ceiling, just leave those in place for your ceiling channels.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You shouldn't need to "pull" the speaker wire from the surrounds in the ceiling, just leave those in place for your ceiling channels.
I'm sorry, I should've been more clear. I definitely plan on leaving those as my height channel, but I want to try and run the new surround wire the same route. I'm hoping I can take the ceiling speaker out, and then use the current wire to pull through (2) sets of wire, one for the ceiling speaker and one for the surround. The surround will then need to get extended to the corner another 4' or so, where I will drill a small hole in the ceiling, and just bring the wire down the corner of the wall. I've thought about trying to bring it down inside the wall, but then I'm going to be patching holes and re-painting.

Any other ideas for running wire? Would I be better served trying to go under the carpet? It's a basement, so carpet over concrete. So my options are in the ceiling, or under the carpet I assume.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like a good plan for the wiring. Just make sure to have ample length for the surrounds. I ran mine down from the ceiling, cutting into the drywall. The patchwork came out really well, and I was going to paint anyway.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sounds like a good plan for the wiring. Just make sure to have ample length for the surrounds. I ran mine down from the ceiling, cutting into the drywall. The patchwork came out really well, and I was going to paint anyway.
So I just paid a neighbor to install those ceiling speakers and projector not too long ago. Inevitably there were a few holes to patch and I re-painted the whole room. So yea, I really blew it not thinking about all this

Regarding my outdoor zone, obviously the speaker and the wire will get wet outside, is there any harm this could cause to my new receiver?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts