AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curoius, could I reuse some regular suround sound speakers pointed up at the ceiling, at an angle, as Dolby Atmos speakers. If this is a stupid question then I'm soryy. I have searched the forums for a possible answer but I can't seem to find any information that suggest add on Atmos speakers are really any different.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm curoius, could I reuse some regular suround sound speakers pointed up at the ceiling, at an angle, as Dolby Atmos speakers. If this is a stupid question then I'm soryy. I have searched the forums for a possible answer but I can't seem to find any information that suggest add on Atmos speakers are really any different.
Up-firing sound isn't the ideal solution in this matter. If you're able to, down-firing is the result you're looking for. So no, most won't recommend what you suggested above.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
While you "can" , as mentioned above it's not really recommended, plus the signal for an upfiring speaker is frequency limited, so it would be an experiment as to how that speaker will work.
If you can't mount either in or on ceiling, your much better off just using them as heights instead of upfiring

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
You can go anything YOU want to do. Try it and see, you might like it or not. Won't cost you nothing but a little time if you already have the AVR.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Stick 'em on the ceiling if you can. I've tried the up-firing method (with up-firing modules, too) with little to no luck...or satisfaction. Though by no means a professional execution of the idea, I mounted some unused Monoprice satellites to the ceiling (picture 1), and then made little "cabinets" for them out of balsa wood, wrapped in white acoustically transparent fabric (picture 2). They slip right over the speakers on the ceiling - a purely cosmetic touch that still requires some cable masking. Point being, if you can get away with it, IMO it works best if you mount speakers to the ceiling, slightly forward of your MLP. And since the Atmos speakers are used purely for ambiance, you can use some rinky-dink satellites, or whatever you have laying around. Not saying that should be the solution...but it is one for amateur enthusiasts like me :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts