AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this has already been asked 1 million times. I've tried searching for days and couldn't find anything with my specific query so thought I'd sign up and try posting.

So I've currently got the Monitor Audio MASS gen 2 5.1 surround set up, I've now bought the Monitor Audio C165's 2 of them to go in ceiling for a 5.1.2 set up. My room is fairly narrow so I've had to improvise. it's just shy of 9 foot wide, it's almost 16 foot long, approx. The back wall has a door to the kitchen and the front wall has a window and radiator. From the back wall just over 4 feet in the wall cuts into the room as there's another door on there, the rear left is wall mounted onto the cut in on an L bracket to face into the room and MLP. We had to also improvise and mount a motorised tension screen slightly off the wall to cover the radiator and window sill, the screen runs wall to wall. We wall mounted the satellite speakers, centre is above on the ceiling in front of the housing. The front L and R are higher up the wall so that the full face of the speaker faces out into the room as the tension system curves in at that point allowing all the sound past and not lose some behind the screen. We also were told to mount the rear satellites at ear level when we are stood up and aim them down to the MLP as needed.

I've been reading lots of ATMOS threads here and people are saying don't mount the surrounds too high etc, but now I'm worrying that I've botched the placements, I'm also worrying about where to put the ceiling speakers for the best experience. The ceiling is almost 8 feet high, it's just short of 8 feet. The bed layer speakers can all be angled and moved quite a bit so any help would be appreciated in helping me get the best experience, the seating position at the moment is on a big 2 person bean bag as we can move it out the way to play VR when people come over etc and we were also recommended to use a soft material bean bag as it helps absorb sound.

I can attach pictures of the room if needed, thank you so much in advance even for just taking the time to read this.

Regards,

One confused home cinema newbie!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
It’s really hard to say. Some rooms are just not good for Atmos. As you have probably read the better Atmos systems have a low lying base layer and high effect layer. The more separation between the two the better. You have multiple things going against you it sounds like. Narrow room with a low ceiling. To be honest you won’t know how it sounds until you experiment. It may work or it may all blend together and not give you that effect of Atmos. Or go 7.1. That may sound great in your room. Pictures would help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah this is what I'm starting to fear, I could move the rear surrounds down the wall a bit, potentially giving more separation, it could make a mess of the paint work but might be worth it. I'll get pictures as soon as I can and post them.

Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah yeah that could make sense, we've not long moved in and the ceilings are all covered in artexing so the surface isn't ideal for bouncing sound off?
I'm starting to think this project is cursed! We've already bought the in ceiling speakers on recommendation from a local home cinema store which also recommended the higher surrounds. I came here after reading as I'm starting to doubt their advice!

I've got the photos I'll try attach

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I know what you mean SuperFist! I've read so many times "not much going on up there" but I keep thinking maybe they are thinking about it the wrong way. It's supposed to be your room full of sound and effects naturally occuring around you, rather than being able to tell which speaker is working?

Yes we did consider the upward firing speakers as it saves having to cut holes etc, but I've read a lot of people also stating in ceiling gives the most accuracy and you have to have the correct surface on the ceiling to really benefit from upward firing?

So with the base layer surrounds would it be a case of lowering them if I can? Or can angling them down towards the mlp be okay? I don't know if you could see those pics I attached in my previous comment but it shows what I'm having to deal with!

Also do you think 5.1.2 will give a good Atmos experience?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I actually removed my previous posts, because I don't want to come off like I am a "professional" or anything. I just know what has worked great for ME and I definitely understand that won't necessarily work the same for others. And I just don't want to welcome debate or criticism about upfiring speaker modules from other members who will most likely have more audio visual experience than I do.

With that being said, since I have no experience with installing in-ceiling speakers, though I have heard them in other people's home theaters, I wouldn't be able to give you good advice along these lines. And 5.1.2 works good for ME and I don't think I can say with confidence that it will do you good as well. I would wait for someone else to chime in that has experience in this particular setup.

And for some reason, when I click on the picture attachments, they won't open up in a larger size.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Yeah this is what I'm starting to fear, I could move the rear surrounds down the wall a bit, potentially giving more separation, it could make a mess of the paint work but might be worth it. I'll get pictures as soon as I can and post them.

Thank you for your reply
My email is [email protected]. You can send pics there. I have a few ideas from what I can see. I’ll also show you how I did mine which is a little different but works well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts