AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
What is wrong with this web site?

Every time I try to print out a copy of one of their articles, it prints one line per sheet (68 sheets on this story).

Also, trying to e-mail it, it says "link to story required"....OK, HOW do I link it? It looks as if it should automatically be linked.

------------------

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV/-DT.

"Not a REAL Engineer, but I play one in TV"

·
Registered
830 Posts
The reason that most stations give when asked why they are not running at their full licensed power is that it would use too much electricity.

How much electricity can a transmitter use?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kenglish:
What is wrong with this web site? Every time I try to print out a copy of one of their articles, it prints one line per sheet (68 sheets on this story).
Ken, I selected the Printer Friendly version and it printed OK. This problem sounds like the wrong printer driver for the selected printer. If one uses a pin printer driver to print to laser printer, then you will get on line of junk per page.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yeah, the "solution" of "We need more power, Scotty!" is probably not what the broadcasters were looking for. By my understanding, UHF transmitters use nearly an order of magnitude more power than VHF transmitters. And now they are expected to use even more power?

In California, the land of the rolling black-out, that is really not good news. I'm starting to feel lucky that I get DTV at all these days considering how much power those stations take and how few people are probably receiving the DTV broadcasts.

But what can you do? I guess that is the easiest solution.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
With this as the cure, maybe it's time for the EPA to step in and solve the problem with receiver standards to cut pollution, since the FCC seems to be completely useless!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Try about $500,000 per year for our analog alone ( 14 30kW 2 60 kW All UHF)

We estimate an additional $150,000 for all 16 digitals ( 5Kw Solid-State UHF)

------------------

William Smith

Special Projects Engineer

Division of Technology Development.

KET

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I did a little research and the ATSC wants a minimum of 47dBu over your city of license, while the DTV RF threshold is still 41dBu. For us its no big deal as all our plants are 50kW and close to their COLs. Also did anyone mention that an increase in RF power can also cause and increase in the power of any reflections (multipath)?

Sorry for taking up bandwidth on a TRANSMITTER issue.

------------------

William Smith

KET

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
How many stations are currently broadcasting at their maximun allowable power? I know our lone Fox affiliate is at about 1/4 of their maximum power and it's not because of the electric bill. They have been throttled back because of interference issues....I think they are going to have to wait until NTSC goes away before they can maximize power....

------------------

Geof

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Our only digital currently on the air is WKPC-DT licensed for 60.3kW and operates at that power level (except in the event of a hardware problem).

TPO is 3.25kW with ~525 ft of 3" Heliax and a 14.5db gain antenna on Channel 17.

------------------

William Smith

KET

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by William Smith:

Also did anyone mention that an increase in RF power can also cause and increase in the power of any reflections (multipath)?

Sorry for taking up bandwidth on a TRANSMITTER issue.

[/b]
Glad to hear from the Transmitter side! Funny, I actually find this thread interesting. Take all the bandwidth you want.

SM

·
Registered
868 Posts
The electric bill to run our DTV transmitter at 1/3 of the full 1 megawatt licensed power is about $6,000.00 per month. That is before the recently announced increase in electric rates.

Rory @ KXTV Sacramento

------------------

Rory

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Thanks for the insight, Doug.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DougMcDonald:
But it is my opinion that out of the pile, very workable things can be done.
Doug, Welcome to the AVS Forum. Please invite your constitutes to join us here.

I just posted the following in another thread: The introduction of H/DTV OTA had two grave errors in the way it was introduced. 1- Complete lack of training for everyone involved and 2- The feedback a H/DTV set and/or STB gives to the user trying to set-up the system. A quasi signal meter just does not cut-it.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.