AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

What type of devices are available to accept a TV antenna and pump the signal into a theater projector when one does not subscribe to cable or satellite?

Thanks
Woodbury

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a simple Homeworx from Wal Mart box that I use for the projector downstairs. It can record, but I don't mess with that. If I miss a show I'll just watch online. The box is pretty decent. I'm happy with how it works and all the functions.

·
Super Moderator
17,907 Posts
We already have a number of threads going on this topic. Without knowing what kind of projector you have, we don't know if you need HDMI, Component or if your display device only accepts 480i. Armed with that information, you can search here, the CECB section (kind of misnamed, now, since HD boxes are discussed there) or the HD Recorders forum.

You'll need an ATSC box that output matches your projector's inputs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tuner for Projector? (i've been Searching!)

i am sure this topic has been covered but i have had no luck finding anything..... I am in north Georgia and have cable from a company called Windstream all my TVs are hooked directly to the cable, there are no set top boxes, i recently got a projector and would like to watch my channels on it. i get about 60 analog channels or so, plus about 30 digital channels + or - I would like to find a tuner that i can hook up via hdmi. to view the channels on the projector. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,907 Posts
^^^

It's best to search for existing threads before starting a new one. Use the search box. Thanks and Merry Christmas. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,907 Posts

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
^^^

It's best to search for existing threads before starting a new one. Use the search box. Thanks and Merry Christmas. :)
Yep thats where I found the link to the thread I linked to, currently second from the bottom on the first page of this forum.

Unstuck a lot of them because it was getting cluttered. I put the links to those threads in the "read before posting" sticky thread which is the Most Ignored Thread on the Internet. :D
Yes I completely missed it :D wondered what happened to all those stickies, I agree it was starting to take up quite a bit of the first screen.
A pet peeve of mine is when the first page of a forum is loaded with stickies, you have to always scroll over all the stickies to get to the recent posts :)

·
Super Moderator
17,907 Posts
Yep thats where I found the link to the thread I linked to, currently second from the bottom on the first page of this forum.
I meant the OP, not you. :)

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
I meant the OP, not you. :)
Yes I knew, I just wanted to point out(to the OP) where I had found the link.
By quoting you I kind of thought it could lead to confusion but wanted to point out to the OP a very similar thread just down near the bottom of the 1st page.
Happy Holidays to all :)

·
Super Moderator
17,907 Posts
Yes I knew, I just wanted to point out(to the OP) where I had found the link.
By quoting you I kind of thought it could lead to confusion but wanted to point out to the OP a very similar thread just down near the bottom of the 1st page.
Happy Holidays to all :)
Oddly enough, I followed that. AND I'm drinking.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
If you want to watch ONLY the ANALOG (NTSC) Channels, you could simply use a old VCR with Composite Video (YELLOW) or S-Video I/F plus Stereo (RED/WHITE). If you happen to have a DVD with OTA Record capability, it probably provides an UPCONVERTED Component Video (R/G/B) and/or HDMI I/F.

There are only a small number of Multi-Format Tuners that can Tune ATSC, NTSC and Unencrypted QAM, see fol. list....and BE SURE to verify the details via the links to various Equipment Threads, cuz I can't personally verify fol. info:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/179095-official-avs-hdtv-stb-synopsis.html
Includes PrimeDTV PHD-8VX, Epvision PHD-VRX2 HD-DVR, TiVo Premiere HD-DVR, DVICO TVIX HD-PVR R-2210, DVICO TVIX HD-PVR R-3310....and some discontinued TiVo & DVICO equipments.

However, bear in mind that most Cable Companies are repurposing their Analog Channels in order to increase Internet Speeds and add more SD/HD/VOD/PPV Channels....so NTSC Tuners are on their last legs. To prevent Theft-Of-Service, they are ALSO getting rid of Unencrypted QAM Channels, requiring ALL TV's to have some sort of "inexpensive" Data Terminal Adapter (DTA).....so your investment may have a very limited lifetime....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Help with OTA to Projector setup

I'm contemplating ways to get OTA signals to my projector setup. All video signals go throgh my AVR to the projector so I'll need some method of converting to HDMI. I'm not opposed to buying some equipment/software if necessary but I'll list current pieces of hardware I own that might provide a viable solution that I'm just not aware of. I do know some sucess has been used with different piece parts but I'm not sure how to tie it all together.

Of course I have my antenna, booster, and splitter strong enough to run 2 TVs, so I'll probably have to disconnect something if I want to watch on the projector (not opposed to doing this because it'll be special ocassion stuff). I know I could add a distribution amp down the road if it becomes more regular or I don't find a better solution.

Other pieces of hardware/bits of info:
-Blu-ray player with DLNA support hooked to AVR/Projector (Living room also has DLNA)
-3TB NAS with DLNA support
-Desktop computer has a tuner TV card installed running Windows 10. Has PlayOn if that's worth anything for this usage?
-Xbox 360

I know there used to be a way to stream from computer to Xbox 360 but with Windows 10 I heard that support dropped?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Using what you have:

Downgrade Win 10 to Win 7, use the included Windows Media Center to operate the TV tuner card. Then connect the XBOX to the Projector to extend the Media Center to your projector.

This is a $0 cost path.

Alternatively, use the TV tuner card software on the PC and connect HDMI out from the PC to the projector.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Using what you have:

Downgrade Win 10 to Win 7, use the included Windows Media Center to operate the TV tuner card. Then connect the XBOX to the Projector to extend the Media Center to your projector.

This is a $0 cost path.

Alternatively, use the TV tuner card software on the PC and connect HDMI out from the PC to the projector.
Hmmm, no way to do it inside Windows 10?

The HDMI out from the PC is actually something I should have thought of already... I was thinking the HDMI run would be too long because it's in a different room, but there is a shared wall so it could be as simple as move the computer and run the coax to the new location and then it's a straight shot through the wall to the AVR. I might give that a try.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Do you have any type of cable provider right now such as Cox or Dish service. You can also buy a OTA tuner of some kind from Amazon. Screw the coax off of the antenna into and hdmi out to the projector.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do you have any type of cable provider right now such as Cox or Dish service. You can also buy a OTA tuner of some kind from Amazon. Screw the coax off of the antenna into and hdmi out to the projector.
I use OTA and streaming services only. I did see the OTA tuners but was wondering if any combination of equipment I have could perform the simple function. I think coax in to tuner card on computer then HDMI out to "second monitor" projector would probalby be the best for now.

Really was hoping someone was aware of a media center to xbox workaround on windows 10.

·
Super Moderator
17,907 Posts
Please search for an existing thread before starting a new one. Threads merged.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Hmmm, no way to do it inside Windows 10?

The HDMI out from the PC is actually something I should have thought of already... I was thinking the HDMI run would be too long because it's in a different room, but there is a shared wall so it could be as simple as move the computer and run the coax to the new location and then it's a straight shot through the wall to the AVR. I might give that a try.
I think Next PR and Kodi work in Win 10, but you will need to pay to get TV guide loaded. It is free in Win 7.

Then you have to run long HDMI cable, and a long USB cable to control the computer from the next room.

With Win 7 WMC and XBOX, both on the network, you just connect the XBOX to the AVR via HDMI, and control the it with a remote. It will communicate with the PC through the network.

From an HTPC perspective, there is no real advantage to Win 10 over Win 7.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts