AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Comcast is now offering HDTV. I decided to ask ATT Cable when they were going to offer HDTV. I live in Hillsboro, Ore.(nera Portland)

Please see the question and response from

Dawna Farrell([email protected]) of ATT below:

Question:

"Hello,

Comcast is now offering HDTV. TWC has been

offering HDTV for some time. When is ATT going to offer HDTV?? Thanks"

Response:

"I've been told that your area will be upgraded sometime during

the first few months of 2002. At that time your channel lineup will change

and you will get additional channels including HDTV. Notification will come

in the mail regarding the upgrade and you'll get a new lineup pamphlet.

Dawna"

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I would not believe anything that AT&T Narrowband tells anyone. We've been hearing AT&T tell us that our system would be upgraded within the next 6 months so we could at least get @Home service starting back in 1999, we're still waiting.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Quote:
Knowing AT&T I just want to check.... Do you have or can you get Digital Cable at the moment? The reason I ask is that AT&T seems to like to mix HDTV and plain old digital cable.
LOL, It's like the story where AT&T says, 'Yes sir, We have HGTV today, can we sign you up. ;)

Dave

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here is a link to the Action Sports Cable Networks (ASCN) website. Specifically a news report on a deal they had with ATT that AT&T first agreed to and then when things looked like a go they backed out. This network is Paul Allens new sports channel that will feature some HDTV coverage. This summer they touted this state of the art HDTV truck that they put together for broadcasting HD sports events in the pacific NW but so far I think the only one who can see it is Paul Allen himself because I you have to have the big dish to get it I think. Anyway here goes...

http://204.29.20.139/ardisplay.asp?ID=19348&SecID=71

·
Registered
220 Posts
AT&T is damn joke!! Here in Orland Park Il they tried to upgrade their system to offer broadband internet access. The problem was while trying to upgrade the system they caused outages EVERY DAMN DAY!! The city council had had enough and told them to stop the upgrades unless you can garauntee fewer disruptions in service. Well AT&T said we can't do any better, they just flat out stopped the upgrade. So I guess I'm stuck forever with this slow piece of crap 56k modem. I have Directv, so I really could care less about the outages, they did not bother me.:mad:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've just received their pamphlet in the mail and guess what. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with HDTV. The closest it comes to digital is a remark stating something along the lines of them delivering content over fiber optic lines.

No HDTV here...

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I, too have been frustrated w/ATT Cable's lack of committment to HDTV (here in Dallas). However, I'm even more troubled by the fact that they repeatedly "confuse" their digital cable offering with HDTV. How can I ever expect them to support HDTV when their sales rep's don't even know what it is?? I'm almost embarassed to admit that I have *analog* cable, but it's the only cost effective way to feed all of the TV's in the house; I use my HD-100 and HDTV set-up in the "family" room only.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am sorry I started this thread. Please accept my apology.

I double checked with ATT Cable regarding HDTV. See the response from ATT below.

"Boy, did I blow it!!!! It was a very busy day yesterday. Ok, the

information I have is as follows:

AT&T will not change their equipment to HDTV until the majority of channels

produce/broadcast in HDTV. If the channel doesn't do this there isn't any

reason to change the equipment which will cost big $$$. At this time you

only see a few programs transmitting with HDTV. I'm not aware of Comcast

and Time Warner retransmitting in HDTV. Before AT&T purchased the cable

system on the Eastside of Portland, it was owned by Time Warner and there

wasn't any talk of changing to HDTV. Maybe it is selected areas now."

·
Registered
760 Posts
The AT&T upgrade should have included my house by now. However, they have not installed the new fiber yet. No one knows when they will offer HDTV. I have seen some threads that AT&T might be testing HDTV cable in Aurora Illinois.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.