AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought few months back 20 yards of Fedilo velvet and plannign to install it. I am planning to use upholstery tacks and going to search in Home depot and Walmart. I think these look like push pins. Let me know anybody has any experience of pros & cons to use it. I hope I dont' see wrinkles or any sagging. I plan to put on side walls and ceiliing near screen area.

Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Are you opposed to using a spray adhesive? Many people, myself included, have used 3M's Super 77 spray adhesive with good success for velvet.

I have never tried tacking cloth up, to be honest, but especially on the ceiling, I expect you're going to run into some problem unless you have a ridiculous amount of tacks.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies. If I decide to use stapler to attach cloth to wall and ceiling, what is brand and model of stapler recommended. I remember somebody recommending Porter cabler stapler. Don't know what to look for in this. Appreciate if you can share what you are using and if any local store carries it.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,705 Posts
the crowd favorite is the Porter Cable Upholstery stapler and you will probably need to order it online (Amazon) if you want it, also order staples as is is doubtful you will find the right size locally. It is pricey and other companies make upholstery staplers much cheaper, Home Depot.com has a couple from SureBinder. No reviews here yet.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1419996/attaching-cloth-to-ceiling-and-walls#post_22218930

the crowd favorite is the Porter Cable Upholstery stapler and you will probably need to order it online (Amazon) if you want it, also order staples as is is doubtful you will find the right size locally. It is pricey and other companies make upholstery staplers much cheaper, Home Depot.com has a couple from SureBinder. No reviews here yet.

Thanks for the post. Home depot has arrow stapler. They said it will work very well to staple with velvet cloth and they recommended to use 1/2 inch staple. But they have only metal color staples which may need to be touched black.

Appreciate if you can share the advantage to use Porter cable stapler vs the one available in Home depot. I am assuming that the following is model recommended if I decide for Porter cable stapler.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AOSX6I/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_g60_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1E271YRY8964MZEEKBSZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

How close staples need to be placed to fix cloth to sheet rock or ceiling.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,705 Posts
Not that one.

I said Upholstery stapler

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-US58-22-Gauge-C-Crown-Upholstery/dp/B00004SBC3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342319420&sr=8-1&keywords=porter-cable+us58

Theater fabric installations involve various strategies to hide the staples, we aren't going around touching up a bunch of shining staples.

these include fabric track, fabric frames or hiding the staples with molding.

Now that we have discussed how to do this IMHO you should really just paint the ceiling and save the velvet for other uses. I've shot over 100,000 staples installing fabric to walls and I wouldn't attempt to put fabric on the ceiling unless it was in small panels inside a coffered grid or just a marquee panel over the screen like at my place.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,705 Posts
I have fabric on all my walls, I also have electrostatic air filters in my HVAC. I think I've vacuumed the walls once in the 5 years or so the theater has been finished. GOM FR701 on the side walls and Black Micro Velvet on the screen wall. Fear of cleaning should not be an issue. GOM FR701 fabric was originally used extensively in the office cubicle industry. Think about how harsher an environment an office is than a home theater.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1419996/attaching-cloth-to-ceiling-and-walls#post_22219501

Not that one.

I said Upholstery stapler
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-US58-22-Gauge-C-Crown-Upholstery/dp/B00004SBC3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342319420&sr=8-1&keywords=porter-cable+us58

Theater fabric installations involve various strategies to hide the staples, we aren't going around touching up a bunch of shining staples.

these include fabric track, fabric frames or hiding the staples with molding.

Now that we have discussed how to do this IMHO you should really just paint the ceiling and save the velvet for other uses. I've shot over 100,000 staples installing fabric to walls and I wouldn't attempt to put fabric on the ceiling unless it was in small panels inside a coffered grid or just a marquee panel over the screen like at my place.

Thanks. I enjoy reading your posts. I also bought "the home theater book" and started reading this. Though, my house is already built house, lot of pictures and tricks are useful.

I already painted with sherwin williams URV 3 duration color paint. It is not flat, but next best thing (I think matte not sure). Still, I see little reflections when screen has bright pictures. I bought 20 yards of Fedilio velvet six moths back and did not use anything. My friend used black cloth wrapped 2 inch standard insulation sheets from Home Depot on front wall and 2 to 5 feet side walls. He also put black cloth on the floor for around 13 feet. It is really making dark. I am trying to put near screen area. Here is my home theater.

I am trying to improve with few low cost addtions. The stapler you mentioned is pneumatic right? I don't know how it works and what compressor it needs. I will try to find any electric as well.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,705 Posts
I see that your screen is very near the ceiling. I would make fabric covered acoustic panels and attach to the walls and ceiling, In the front part of the room, Use some wood and an inch of Linacoustic, It will probably improve your sound field as I see your right speaker sitting pretty close to that side wall. Replacing or dyeing the carpet would help as well, it is pretty bright. There is a thread here where a guy DIY his carpet dye job.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1419996/attaching-cloth-to-ceiling-and-walls#post_22221865

I see that your screen is very near the ceiling. I would make fabric covered acoustic panels and attach to the walls and ceiling, In the front part of the room, Use some wood and an inch of Linacoustic, It will probably improve your sound field as I see your right speaker sitting pretty close to that side wall. Replacing or dyeing the carpet would help as well, it is pretty bright. There is a thread here where a guy DIY his carpet dye job.

Thanks. I will search in the forum for how people are building acoustic panesl with wood frames. Is it ok to place linaacoustic for all the way from the floor to ceiling (9 feet wall)? I remember reading to use linaacuostic from botton to ear height and cotton batting to rest of the area to the top. Not sure what would be good for the ceiling (all Linaacoustic or not). I am planning to warp with cloth for around 6 feet from the screen both side walls and ceiling and floor. I am also working to prepare oc 703 super chunk triangle bass traps in the four corners. Appreciate all your help.

I will search on carpet dyeing. I thought of placing black velvet cloth on the floor since we don't walk in the front. I will evaluate suggestion to dye carpet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was just poking around on AVS trying to find a solution... I am in the process of trying to finish out my home theater. At the last moment, I decided to add Dolby Atmos and put up 4 MartinLogan in-ceiling speakers... I was attempting to hide the speaker locations and came up with the idea of covering the ceiling soffits in Black GOM speaker cloth... I wanter to make it as seamless as possible and decided t cover the entire left soffit as one large run. It turns out to be be about 16' long and about 24" in depth... I came up with what I thought was a really good idea on how to mount the fabric such that is was completely wrinkle free...

It worked like a champ and looked great for several days... However, after about 4 days, the glue started to fail and I have absolutely no idea why... The soffits (ceiling part) was made of MDF... I applied primer on the MDF and after several days, applied some really flat black paint. I wanted to make sure the MDF did not show through the GOM material, which is acoustically transparent so has tiny holes in the fabric... That has been up for maybe 3-4 weeks now and that part of the application worked great... I then applied 3M Super 77 Adhesive, which clearly says is good for fabric. I applied 1/2" staple around the borders of where the fabric meets the walls and where it meets the riser part of the soffit...

All looked fantastic for the first few days and I was ready to start adding the crown molding to hide the staples... That is when I started to notice the fabric is now beginning to sag, as if the glue joint failed... How crap, that was a ton of work to get this wrinkle free, only to have it fail in a matter of days... Is this just an impossible thing I am attempting to do, as in doing such a big piece. Is it that 3M Super 77 just does not work to hold up speaker cloth on ceilings? This has me seriously bummed at the moment and the project is now at a complete stand still...

Matt

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,705 Posts
a 24 inch wide section of GOM will stay tight with no sag if stapled along the edges and enough initial tension is applied, no glue required. You can try tightening the fabric by pressing toward where you are adding the crown and adding staples, the staples need to be a staple width apart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Jeff,

So, the soffits are not exactly rectangular. They are 16' long and along most of that length, they are 24 wide". However the ends get wider as is depicted in the extremely crude picture I have attached...

So, I had made an exact template of the ceiling soffits out of 1x2 pieces of wood. I then placed this mockup on a table and we stretched the cloth onto the template so that the cloth was seriously tight. I then sprayed the glue on the ceiling and after a few minutes, we lifted the template (pre stretched with cloth) up to the ceiling. I then added staples about ever 5" along the periphery of the soffit... I would have thought that the glue alone would have kept the fabric tight up against the wood. I wonder if a combination of the glue not being appropriate for the cloth and too few of staples caused the failure...

That being said, can anyone recommend a more appropriate glue than the 3M Super 77 product, which clearly did not work.... I was poking around this morning and saw this product: "3M 38808 Headliner & Fabric Adhesive"... Does anyone have any experience using this product or can you recommend any other product...

Matt

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,705 Posts
I stand by my earlier response you don't need glue just tension, I don't think you can have enough tension on a 1x2 template unless there was cross bracing every 16 inches or so. It would bend

For projects like yours I use push pins to position the fabric, then start adding more tension, stapling and removing the push pins.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Are you opposed to using a spray adhesive? Many people, myself included, have used 3M's Super 77 spray adhesive with good success for velvet.

I have never tried tacking cloth up, to be honest, but especially on the ceiling, I expect you're going to run into some problem unless you have a ridiculous amount of tacks.

Just wear gloves with the 77 product.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is an interesting idea with the push pins, although they may not go into MDF that easily... There were two other "removable" panels I needed to do and I got them completed today... Attached are a few pics of one of the panels... I used the 38808 product from 3M and it seems to be a far superior product to what I had used before. The templates that I made out of 1x2's were all cross braced so they maintained their shape even after stretching the fabric...

So, this glue goes on white but drys to a nearly clear finish... This glue gives one up to one hour of working time to set the fabric in place... The produce requires 3 coats and that is what is on the MDF panel that is painted black (the second pic)... That had been drying for 10 minutes already and as one can see, it was already starting to turn clear... The fabric in the first pic was just sprayed and thus was whither when looking at it... The 3rd pic is after the two parts were joined... As you can see, I took your advice and stapled the cloth to the back side of the MDF, with no more than 1/2" spacing between staples...

Hope this holds up this time...

Matt

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts