AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice a lot of people attach their furring strips directly to the wall and then attach the acoustic fabric to the strips. A buddy of mine built frames out of 1" material and then attached the fabric to it and then attached the cloth covered frames to the walls using heavy duty Velcro strips.

I asked about this and he indicated that this was done so if he ever needed to get to anything behind the cloth( i.e. speakers) he could just pull them down.

Has anyone done this? I would think that with the vibrations in the room that you would have panels falling on your head. Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Besides possible rattling, there may be other issues.

Most who use the firring, also fill the space between with batting or Theater Shield depending on where it is on the wall. A small firring strip is much less exposed hard surface area than the amount required for building a sturdy enough frame not to mention having two frame sides right next to each other.

Guess it is really more a matter of whether convenience IF the need arises or a small sacrifice in absorbtion and additional refraction.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
It seems like it would be a lot more work to build removable panels than to just attach to the wall so you'd need a real compelling reason.

There are just a few places where there are speakers and, if the room and design allow, they can be placed in accessible areas without having to have very many removable panels (in a proscenium or screen wall and in columns).

Just my .02

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.