AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have asked in several other threads, but have not gotten any answers, so I had to start a new thread. What is the best way to attach the Insulshield (or similar material) to the drywall?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am glad that someone has brought this up. I started putting up my Linacoustic last night. The drywall screws held well...for about a minute!!! Then it all began to pull through and fall the floor!!! I then made my way to Home Depot for some 3M adhesive spray. I will try it on a long piece tonight and hopefully it will hold.

Does anyone have any experience with the 3M spray?

Let us know!!!

Gordon

·
Registered
908 Posts
I and I know some other theater builders who attached their InsulShield (TheaterShield) with staples. It doesn't take many to hold it in place before the fabric goes over it. I used some duct liner in part of my sofits where I used them for supply and/or return ducts. There I used an adhesive spray made for air handling systems. An adhesive spray would work on the InsulShield, but since I was going to stable my fabric, I used staples. This is what Dennis Erskine recommended I do. Good luck. I have some finished and construction photos which can be viewed HERE .

Tom

·
Registered
197 Posts
I installed my Linacoustic Standard w/ Permacoat II last night using the 3M 77 Spray Adhesive -- $8.49 at Home Depot.

Installation was QUICK and easy using the spray. I installes approximately 250 square feet in about 2 hours by myself. The can states about 220 s.f. coverage and honestley have at least 1/4 can left. It is everything it states it to be and then some. The only difficult thing...is getting the residue off your FINGERS!!! :)

BTW...I have about 350 s.f. left if someone wants to make me an offer for it!!!

Gordon

The end is coming into sight...if Isabell would atay away!!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The end is coming into sight...if Isabell would atay away!!! [/b][/quote]

You've got that right!! I just started construction in the room over my garage and I am somewhat concerned I will have one of those "star" ceilings after the hurricane (without using the fiber optics). Keep your fingers crossed and hope pat robertson can do it again.

hunkered down in norfolk

Steve

·
Registered
908 Posts
bentson,

In my area I found InsulShield at a large commercial insulation company in Atlanta. You could also PM Dennis Erskine and he most likely could point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Tom

·
Registered
197 Posts
I found my Linacoustic at an insulation garage for contractors only. I walked in and asked for the manager. I then told him what I was looking for and why. He had pity on me and sold it to me for the wholesale cost!!!

Look in the Yellow Pages under HVAC Insulation and make some phone calls!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
This is what I did too. To add to Gordon's notes, if you do go to the insulation contractor's supply, please don't try and ask to buy half a roll !!!!! Anything that is too much work for them will likely result in you being denied.

I went to Behler Young here in Michigan. Called one of their branches and the lady said no way, then I called another branch, got in touch with a cool guy, and he okay'd me to buy two rolls on Linacoustic. I told him that it was for a home theater. They did say that it technically was for wholesale only, but since I was buying a whole roll (actually two), they didn't seem to mind.

Also, I paid in cash too. It was a quick and easy sale and that's what I believe they'd prefer!

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
i gather cost questions are a no-no on here...??

but can i get a cheap/affordable/you better be rich response on the stuff per roll? :D

i doubt i'll find anything like that down here...but i'll give it a go

AND

the beer here is crap..besides the foundry that is...awesome beer, considering it's australian stuff

wait...it's ale, not beer :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
I also used drywall screws. I used them at the top and bottom, four feet apart forming squares 4ft on a side, then one in the middle. You only need enough to hold it in place until the fabric gets stretched over it. This worked great for me, and was nondestructive to the sheetrock surface should I decide to switch to painted walls later for any reason (doubtful).

- Chris

·
Registered
908 Posts
TheaterShield cost me about $240 per roll (4' X 100').

Tom

·
Registered
332 Posts
OK, I found the Linacoustic. (a little more expensive than suggested by [ebr] however)

Now, where is the "best" place to get the fabric? I already have samples from GoM- the CFO wants to go with black so at least that part is easy.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Call Chris Key at 919-553-0253 for GOM fabric. I got mine for less than $10 per yd but I believe his price is up to $11 per yd, which is still better than the standard $15 per.

Tom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.