AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to install a screen and grille fabric on a frame below the screen on my wall unit. (hopefully, picture attaches properly). The space is tricky in that I will not have access from the top to mount the screen (Stewart). I will need access to the area behind the screen from time to time (subs and center will be there).

Anyone have suggestions on good mounting methods for the screen. Also, what is a good way to mount the frame with the grille fabric below the screen? The fabric will be glued to its frame. Is heavy duty velcro the way to go? Is there a better way?

Thanks very much in advance.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Look at the pictures of the screen wall on my "new theater" site in my signature. I have a somewhat similar situation. I built a wall out of just framing members with an opening sized to fit the screen frame. Then covered the lower, upper and sides of the frame wall with fabric and just set the screen into the opening.

You can put some small angle brackets on the top and bottom of the opening (near the corners) to keep the screen from pushing back and falling out the rear. Then, a small, black "tab" of some sort can swing down on one front corner to keep it from falling out forward.

Make sense?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Another option which I was initially skeptical but came out well is what I did for my under screen fabric. We staples the fabric to a cross member and pulled it down, I then reverse-wrapped a 1x2 "stick" at the bottom and then attached a couple heavy magnets to the screen wall and metal plates on the back-side of the fabric wrapped wood. The weight of the wood keeps the fabric very straight and hangs well, hte magents/plate attach securely but I can always lift it up and get to my speakers.

I was afraid of rattles or other sound anomalies but, even with a B & W CM subwoofer, it has been NO problem. Reading back, it sounds more confusing than it is...Check the building album in my sig and if that doesn't help, I'll take some additional pictures.

Good luck,

Adam

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Good point Adam. I wasn't sure if he needed to get access to under the screen (aside from through the screen opening).

Interestingly, what you describe is almost exactly what I did last time, except I didn't even use magnets. I just let the wood hold it down. Worked fine and I had immediate easy access to my sub. This time, my subs are off to the sides so I just stapled the fabric down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.