AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
even if I was a bit disappointed by the contrast ratio and mirrors visibility of the "old" 3DLP projection I saw, the uncompressed PCM track was superb. makes you want to at least get a 1/2 dts track on the dvd ( as much chances as seeing Paramount embrace DTS :D ).

we'll likely get this: 2-disc, dolby 5.1 EX english COOKED DOWN, extended cut only still with EE :D and extras on disc 2

I'd like this: 3-disc set:

DISC ONE DVD 9 142minutes

the movie, theatrical cut, high bitrate, high contrast, no EE, DTS 754 6.1 and DOLBY EX 448 UNTOUCHED :D , 2.35:1 only ( separate pan and scan edition please )

DISC TWO DVD 9 +/- 162minutes

extended cut, DTS 754 6.1, DOLBY EX 382

(can do, there's 1.5GB on average free on superbit dvds anyway...: Fifth element Superbit, 126min, takes only 6.7GB (total!) out of 8.5GB, so 1.8GB for an extra 36min should do)

DISC THREE DVD 9

all the gizmos, euh, extras :)

price: $35 :D

sales: 20million discs worldwide, gross rev of $700M :D

·
Registered
912 Posts
I am with the 3-disc proposal. Whatever happens, I DO NOT want fuzzy, EE-laced images, or a COOKED DOWN soundtrack, PLEASE! Can we stop the THX game, please? That first disc's soundtrack rubbed.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Good Disc review David, I just can't get into this new Star Wars, after seeing the original 3 in the movie theatres. I just keep visualizing Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill. Maybe some time but just not right now. :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David600

DISC TWO DVD 9 +/- 162minutes

extended cut, DTS 754 6.1, DOLBY EX 382

(can do, there's 1.5GB on average free on superbit dvds anyway...: Fifth element Superbit, 126min, takes only 6.7GB (total!) out of 8.5GB, so 1.8GB for an extra 36min should do)
Then that isn't real superbit! If there really is that much free space then they're not pushing the envelope. A dual layer disc at max bitrate holds 110 minutes only. Now I'm curious how the other superbit releases are - and whether people really have just been duped by the hype. Personally I was holding out for mention of any PAL superbits as that's where the higher frame rate and resolution really needs the bitrate, and has the opportunity to shine.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
But if Lucas releases a cheap, EE riddled Ep. 2 now (first release) and then suckers every consumer 6 months down the road for another $25 disc (ala Special Edition), he will make double. I personally hate Lucas now. I thought Ep. 1 was terrible and Ep. 2 was only good for the fighting scenes. I actually caught myself dozzing off during the slow middle part of Ep. 2.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I would personally like the bass to be more responsive at normal volume levels and record the thing louder.. DTS would be nice.. Full bit rate too..

Chris

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
A better script, real actors, a dialog coach.... ;)
How about you quit thread crapping on all the AOTC threads for crying out loud!

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
I'll be happy with a transfer that looks better than the film print I saw. I'm certain the soundtrack will be at least as good as the theatrical, probably better.

David, what do you mean by "uncompressed PCM"?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
DVHS release ;)

Okay for the DVD 2 disc set. minimal EE no need for it since it was shot digitally and a DD track around 600 + no 480's stuff

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi Robert

it might sound as a pleonasm "uncompressed PCM" :D , but I was "insisting" :)

it seems the sound in some digital projections were in discrete PCM ( don't know which sampling rate or resolution though ).

here's what TI says:

http://www.dlp.com/dlp/cinema/Specs.asp?mid=143

Audio:

The audio information is normally stored as six channel, 24-bit uncompressed PCM data for the feature, and 16-bit uncompressed PCM data for the trailers, on the QuBit system along with the picture information.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
24 bit DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track of reference quality.

No-EE using a pristine negative (if they won't do a direct digital transfer). The TPM negative used was far from pristine.

Full director's cut.

All video extras on the second and third discs. A real "Superbit" type disc.

Dan

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dan

hi

we can dream on yours and mine "wishes" :D

as for director's cut: and if the extended version is 20minutes more of jar jar or romance ? :D , be careful........ :)

cheers

PS: seems the PCM track is the compulsory sound format with digital projections. got to check more on that. maybe ( maybe !) this is one reason ( together with costs, though a standard projector ain't cheap either ) that that we don't see many 3DLPs, because dolby and dts are out of the recommended specs ? ...

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
One security sticker?!?!?! Lucas will have at least 3 or 4 of those babies somewhere in the packaging! You can forget about that one.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Where exactly is the 20 minutes of extra footage info coming from? I read recently in an interview with Rick McCallum that the director's cut was 4 hours.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
4hours ????????? imagine we ONLY get the 4hours cut ! I imagine many people will fall asleep quickly... I thought it was a bit too long already, dragged by too much romance and not enough action.

the 20min extra comes from the Net but I can't figure out from where. probably dvd sites, got to check that.

we need the theatrical cut and the extended cut, as for LOTR.

·
Registered
27,144 Posts
No extras, Directors cut of film, NO EE and a DTS-ES soundtrack!

Jeff

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I wanted to back up my earlier post with the actual article I referred to, and I finally found it, here is a quote and a link to the article:

Quote:
As for the slightly more imminent Attack of The Clones DVD, McCallum confirmed that he’s currently persuading Lucas to provide a commentary track. But can we expect much of the four hours of footage that comprised the uncut film to crop up as a special Director’s Cut? "Oh you’re definitely going to get it all," assured McCallum. "With George… he’ll keep on changing the film till the day he dies."
http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/news.asp?3911

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.