Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just got back from the viewing this in DLP

I think it looked GREAT but could not equal it to a true feed of HD. At least at the theater I saw it in (Southfield, Mi Star)

As far as vs Film based... DLP wins hands down

I heard an interesting conversion behind me that explained the movie was downloaded to all the DLP sites (10 hours) due to the concern of a hard copy getting into the wrong hands. Pretty cool

Here is what I did notice: The previews ran were a mixed bag.. Some were clear as a crystal, Matrix, Men in Black, and others, Minority Report, Austin powers looked awful. I assume this was due to conversion but not sure since they where previews

[Possible spoilers below but I tried to be vague!]

Once the movie started I was totally immersed...

One shot while in the *clones area" gave major jidder effects"

The saber scenes at the end was INCREDIBLE...

I think Ebert is right, if the film was shot on analog film it should be seen on film.. The conversion is tough on the DLP. And vice versa as I saw today.

As for the movie... YOU NEED TO SEE IT! IT was AWESOME... Yes there is some areas where you want to fast forward... acting and what not but It was enjoyed by me, my wife and my daughter.

My wife has been talking since we left the theater on how things will unfold in Episode III!

rbaldwin

·
Registered
308 Posts
You need to introduce your wife to my Fiance. Maybe she can convince her to go see it with me. :)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
What do you mean it cannot compare to HD? It is higher picture quality then hd... and not compressed as much .. maybe not at all where as HD is..

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rbaldwin
Ok I just got back from the viewing this in DLP

One shot while in the *clones area" gave major jidder effects"
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this (none of my friends did)! Anyway yes and yes to the above post. It was awsome on DLP. Unfortunately, the only theater here with a digital projector isn't as 'nice' as some of the others (no stadium seating, etc.) ... but it was well worth it to see ATOC on DLP

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Would like to add that I've seen AOTC in DLP at the NYC Ziegfeld (huge screen) and at AMC Empire 25 DLP (medium sized screen) and the AMC visual presentation was definitely better in terms of: color fidelity, black level, brightness, detail.

Unfortunately, the sound in the Ziegfeld (huge theater, THX certified) was better.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
krs7272

i saw the bars at the ziegfeld but thought it might be the screen...jaynyc i'll have to catch it at the amc to compare...

tm

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just got back from seeing Episode 2 at the Ziegfeld. I've seen a lot of stuff there, from the premiere of Apocalypse Now in '79 to Moulin Rouge last year. I have to say that Episode 2 via DLP was the most impressive visually.

The chase scene through the city was truly three-dimensional. The car with Obi-Wan and Anikin really seemed to be hanging out over the front rows.

After the movie I stuck my head into the projection room and the projectionist was kind enough to show the equipment off to my wife and me. He still runs a film copy on a 60 second delay in case something goes wrong with the "new fangled" projector.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I noticed the black bars immediately in the TI DLP intro, and then throughout the film.

Also the aliasing, especially during the "This Preview is Rated .." screens shocked me - I guess I had too high of expectations.

But any time there were bright or neon colors, the vertical black lines were quite evident. None of my friends seemed to notice then either - but the effect reminded me of watching some non-doubled 480i program on a 60" screen (with scan lines vertical vs. horizontal).

So I guess its a tradeoff between the bright colors and poor resolution of digital vs. the muted colors but high resolution of film...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Saw Episode II yesterday at Grauman's Chinese in Hollywood in DLP. I thought the picture resolution was just outstanding, with many of the scenes taking on a "3D" appearance, especially the outdoor love scenes in the pasture area with the waterfalls in the background. There was a depth and clarity to this scene I have not witnessed before in the cinema. It was fun waiting in line to see the picture, just as I did in 1977 for the original Star Wars. My only complaint is that much of the dialog in the film is very stilted and trite....If you want a multimillion dollar space opera to be made, give it to Lucas...but just keep him away from a word processor.....

·
Registered
702 Posts
So what resolution DLP chips are they using? I thought the digital cinema stuff was still 1280x1024.

By the way, I saw the film, will see the digital next week. I thought the film was not very crisp, not like I'm used to in a new film copy at the theater.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Savageone79,

Well, I am not completely familiar with what DLP can output so I would not argue processing power and how many lines etc..

But what I can say is, this was my first DLP viewing and I can compare this to the demo clips they show on PBS and HD net. (The extreme high quality ones)

Although it was very close I would have to give the trophy to HD. This is somehwat apples to oranges because of th SHEER differnce in screen SIZE!

As some of the previous posters mentioned, the amount going on at any one time in many of the scenes was unreal and truly 3-D like (fly chase sequence in beginning! and some of the beautiful open daytime city shots!)

At the size of the screen at the theater vs looking at my tiny 53", it was darn close and the best presentation I have ever seen at a theater.

KRS7272,

Yes I did notice the multiple vertical lines in bright screens as well. I planned my traditional family menace outing at AMC in a couple weeks to see Clones. Ya, since I am the nerd of the family I have to arrange this or none of them will see it. I will compare what I saw yesterday to the converted film version and post back here with the results.

I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT AGAIN! I can now focus on all the stuff that I missed in the first viewing.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
May the force be with you when you see this movie...you'll need it to stay awake.

Here's some advice....watch the first 20 minutes or so, sneak out of the theater and get the oil changed in your car, then come back for the last 40 minutes.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
 I posted a bit about this in the Movie Review forum . The Christie DCP-H projectors used are 1280 x 1024. So, the full 1920 wide resolution of the original film was not used, it was sampled down to 1280. We're missing one whole quarter of the image, and it's not displayed at native rate.

We don't know what they were using for scaling, but it had some artifacts. As the film was a 2.35:1 ratio, the full 1080P vertical resolution probably wasn't used either - but I didn't see as much vertical artifacting as horizontal.

The cheering part is that it will look better as the technology improves. At the price of these projectors, TI will upgrade the chips as they produce better - but not until they have a native 1920 x 1080 chip for home and business use. I wish they had a better chip for theatrical presentation, but seriously - this is not a large market yet. There are 96 projectors out there, with three chips each. 300 is an impossibly small market for custom chips.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Chris,

You are correct about the 1280 vs the 1920. But the vertical resolution was maintained because the movie was shot with a little over 800 vertical pixels (2.35:1 image on the 1.77:1 HD camera).

All E-Cinema projectors (that I know of) use an ISCO 1.9:1 anamorphic lens to stretch the image horizontally. So what you see on the screen is a 2.35:1 image that is made up of 1280X1024 rectangular pixels. The 1280 isn't enough to fully resolve the 1920 horizontal pixels but the 1024 is enough to resolve the 800 vertical pixels.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I saw the movie at the Loews New Jersey Garden Theater. The movie was enjoyable as it could be, I suppose, but there were some problems.

First was that there was either a mis-converged red or a poor lens. A faint red border was very noticeable in many scenes. If I saw it on my home set, I'd re-converge it.

Second, there was noticeable stair-stepping on some diagonal lines.

Third - and I can't figure this one out - certain scenes seemed to be either out of focus or not containing the detail I'd expect from an HD picture. This wasn't consistent and seemed to happen mainly in scenes that were low-contrast and low chrominance.

The absence of film grain, scratches, and dust specks was nice and the colors seemed to be very accurate and well saturated when needed.

It certainly doesn't compare to a 60- or 70 mm film stock, and I'm not so sure that it compared very well to a standard non-digitally-recorded film. As I mentioned above, the mis-converged red was like a sore tooth you keep pushing with your tongue to see if the pain has gone away. It never did.

As far as the story goes, the digital medium didn't improve either the acting or the dialog. Maybe that's Lucas' next step - film the 3rd movie then use CGI and good writers to punch up the dialog prior to release.

FWIW, to paraphrase a line in Amadeus, "the eye can see only so many things at one time." I'm sure Lucas had fun layering effect over effect, but to me it produced a jumble of images that made it hard to follow the action in whatever sequence it was supposed to represent.

My summary of the theater in which I saw it and of the movie itself, "Nice, but no cigar. Better luck next time, George."

Rick

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,193 Posts
DeanS: are you sure it was in DLP at the Chinese? It isn't listed as being in DLP there at Fandango.com. Was it in the historic theater there, the really huge one? I wouldn't think so since apparently DLP doesn't have the resolution for that large of an image.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
Chris,

You are correct about the 1280 vs the 1920. But the vertical resolution was maintained because the movie was shot with a little over 800 vertical pixels (2.35:1 image on the 1.77:1 HD camera).
OK. That makes it quite clear why we were seeing vertical stripes, but not horizontal ones.

If this gets shown in OAR on Showtime, we'll be able to see it in our home theaters on display devices that can either resolve 1920, or degrade to a lower resolution more gracefully (although at a far lower brightness level on a far smaller screen).

cpto:

I saw that same red fringing on some scenes...on objects with a bright white specular highlight, like Samuel Jackson's head. I thought it was mis-alignment, but it wasn't consistant. I've seen it on plenty of films as well, that red/blue fringing. I believe it's an artifact of the camera lens.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I just got back from my 5 hr trek to Plano to see it and I was most impressed, I have never seen any better picture quality out of a movie ever

·
Registered
619 Posts
Jagouar - sorry you never saw Showscan. 65mm film, 60 fps, smallish theaters with a large screen. I've never seen a film so immediate and realistic, and I suspect that DLP is many, many generations behind it.

Rick

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.