AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I saw a review copy of this Blu-ray a few weeks back and it's a corker. And its worth pointing out that the press release really undersells the bonus features. Here's a quick breakdown of the actual disc specs...

AVC 2.40:1 1080p encode

DTS-HD MA 5.1/LPCM 2.0 soundtracks

Behind the Block - behind-the-scenes documentary (59mins/1080i)

Creature Feature - creature FX featurette (20mins/1080i)

Meet the Gang - cast featurette (4mins/1080i)

It's a Rap - cast rapping (2mins/1080i)

Unfilmed Action - storyboards for deleted action scenes (5mins/1080i)

Theatrical Trailer (2mins/1080p)

Teaser Trailer (1min/1080i)

3x Audio Commentaries (two with wither writer/director Joe Cornish and various members of the cast, the other pairing Cornish with executive producer Edgar Wright)

·
Premium Member
26,449 Posts
This is a film that I wasn't drawn to watching the trailer, but the reviews have been so positive...I have to give it a try. If it was more age suitable for my 13, I'd make a blind buy of the UK disc. Anyone have any thoughts/opinions?

Blu-Rayfanboy....what's your take on the blu ray's sound and image? Great? So-So?

Thanks

Ron

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-rayFanBoy /forum/post/20841814

I saw a review copy of this Blu-ray a few weeks back and it's a corker. And its worth pointing out that the press release really undersells the bonus features. Here's a quick breakdown of the actual disc specs...

AVC 2.40:1 1080p encode

DTS-HD MA 5.1/LPCM 2.0 soundtracks

Behind the Block - behind-the-scenes documentary (59mins/1080i)

Creature Feature - creature FX featurette (20mins/1080i)

Meet the Gang - cast featurette (4mins/1080i)

It's a Rap - cast rapping (2mins/1080i)

Unfilmed Action - storyboards for deleted action scenes (5mins/1080i)

Theatrical Trailer (2mins/1080p)

Teaser Trailer (1min/1080i)

3x Audio Commentaries (two with wither writer/director Joe Cornish and various members of the cast, the other pairing Cornish with executive producer Edgar Wright)

Wow, it really does undersell them! shame there is no Adam and Joe commentary

·
Registered
34 Posts
The image quality holds up very well considering the approach Cornish and his DOP took towards the film's deliberately comicbook-style aesthetics (as he admits in the documentary 'we went to great lengths to light the film with a view to crushing the contrast in post production'). Due to this, it's not always the most intricately detailed hi-def image you'll ever see (shadows and other areas of black - such as the creatures themselves - are as deep and inky as they come), but it appears to be true to the source material, and that's the whole point of Blu-ray as far as I'm concerned.

The DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio is even better. Plenty of tight, solid, impactful bass accompanying the creatures' footsteps, excellent dialogue clarity (a good thing too for an oldie like myself given some of the accents on display), plenty of creative use of the surrounds (especially in a scene involved a smoke-filled corridor) and wonderful tonality in the music. However, I didn't bother checking out the LPCM 2.0 mix, so I've no idea how that holds up in comparison.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Obvious question: is this or will it be region locked? (Probably even odds on someone releasing it on this side of the Atlantic, but...)

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sony US release details:

October 25th

Quote:
"Junior" commentary with writer/director Joe Cornish and actors John Boyega, Alex Esmail, Franz Drameh, Simon Howard, and Leeon Jones

"Senior" commentary with Cornish and actors Jodie Whittaker, Luke Treadaway, and Nick Frost

"Executive Producer" commentary with Cornish and executive producer Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz)

Behind the Block featurette

Creature Feature featurette

Meet the Gang featurette

Unfilmed Action featurette

That's a Rap featurette

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.