AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I decided after calibrating my display to my ps3 for blu-ray playback I would officially calibrate my display for my HTPC

First my HDTV is a Philips 52" 1080p 120Hz 7403 model

This HDTV set has two modes, HDTV and PC for the HDMI inputs. PC provides a very clear picture with no artificial sharpening and is perfect for my HTPC @ 1080p when judging soley off desktop and text for clarity. HDTV mode almost seems to introduce some odd sharpening to the picture (just slightly)

My HTPC is Vista Home Premium using a Radeon 4870 currently with CAT 8.11. I have it hooked via HDMI and have tried both RGB and YCrCb neither seem different and both seem to show the same results using the 709 mp4 clips found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

The problem I am noticing is that blacs and whites seem to get clipped off almost completely. Black isnt so bad as I can almost just barely make out the next bar to the right of 16 if I am on top of the set. White however I can only see 233 blinking, and no other.

Through my PS3 though I can sit back on the couch and see the bar to the right of 16 in the black test easily. In addition I can make out almost all of the white bars blinking.

For playback of these clips I was using VLC bu that might be where Iam running in to my problem... either that or my video card is indeed clipping things off. If I try to adjust brightness and contras on the PC controls I can still only see what I seen before just exaggerated. If I try to adjust the display brightness and contrast it seems to be the same thing.

I tried changing the 609 setting in the registry to 0 instead of 1 but it had no effect (grasping at straws)

The above seems to be the same wether I am in PC mode or HDTV mode on the HDTV.

This all came about since I wanted to make absolute sure my blu-ray playback through my ps3 was at it's very best. and since I was at it I wanted to make sure that my HTPC was following suit. I know from reading around I will never get OTA HD and SD TV to look the same through my HTPC since they are different video formats, but my SD TV is really washed out and if I adjust my TV to compensate then HD and my desktop are too dark. Same goes with video controls in the CCC if I adjust them then SD might look good but then HD suffers

So I suppose since there are many Gurus on here and I'm just now getting in to all of this... what should I do. Or more precisely where should I begin. Should I not be using the 709 clips, or should I be but not in VLC? Or what should I use for my desktop perhaps still images? But then I run in to If I adjust my HTPC output to be correct, then techically I would have to adjust my video player (vista media center)... at which point something like the THX optimizer would make sense but I want to get as much as Ican out of this. and if I adjust my video player to something... that then leaves my HD looking too dark

God I think my head is spinning... can someone help me lmao

I just figure I have a nice setup, and finally have a really nice HDTV... since everything is in place then USE IT RIGHT lol

oh did I mention I need help here

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok after breathing for a moment
I figure first I should adjust my output using still images somehow but am trying to find some like those included in the 709 video

here are some I found:

http://www.walvisions.com/TestPatterns

then after that attempt to calibrate my video player level IE Vista Media center (again though if I make SD lookg good then HD looks too dark..... grrr....

I guess this is almost a beginners guide for those new to the HTPC scene as well cause I'm sure a lot of other newbs will be reading this wondering the same thing!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right and the thread is mainly talking about just video assuming the PC is outputting correctly which I have read in the past depending on driver revisions and HW is not always the case. I want to first make sure I get the display and HTPC calibrated before I start calibrating DVD video.

But again you run in to the problem of if I adjust DVD video that will make SD video look great in Media Center but the moment I go to watch OTA HD it is too dark

It's all extremely frustrating, especially for a newbie.

Honestly before I got my set I couldnt notice the difference between a lot of settings, but now I can since htings are much clearer and etc I like to make sure I get the best possible IQ.

As I said if I could find the same images used in the AVS 709 videos that might be a starting point for me. But since playing the video files in VLC on my HTPC a lot is getting clipped) it doesnt do me much good right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.