AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing this product and was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on the quality of this product. Are you happy with it? Does it have a Time Base correctional Recording. And can you switch from progressive play to non progressive mode. Can you record directly from dish network onto the player. Thanks Greg Young

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have both the DVR-7000 and Dish PVR 508.

The 7000 is nice, however I would not purchase this unit today knowing the current state of set top recorders (Mr. Wilson can post his counter point to this ;).

The unit lacks a TBC, but that has not been an issue for me. It has probably the most extensive set of input adjustments of any set top DVD recorder.

This also has been a non-issue for me as I find these almost useless w/o any way to monitor your adjustments other than by eye.

My biggest gripe about this unit is that there are only two quality recording levels if you want to create a disc that will play on any DVD player.

It's VRO mode has 32 quality settings that allow more or less record time - but recording made in this mode can only be played on this player!

To my eye, recording in the "normal" two hour mode is only moderate quality (though others have expressed high satisfaction with this mode). Maybe you wont notice.

The newest Panasonic recorder I believe allows up to 6 hours of recording onto a DVD disc that can be played on any player (correct me if I'm wrong guys).

It has a built in TBC (though you wont need that to record from Dish). Also the black level bug has been addressed (do a search in this forum for info on that).

Of course, the DVR-7000 allows recording onto DVD-RW discs. But again, a lot of players wont play dvd-RW.

I dont know what you mean by "switch from progressive to non-progressive (called interlaced). I believe ANY DVD progressive player can switch to interlaced mode.

Now, if money were no object, I'd buy the Pioneer PRV-LX1 ($3995).

This unit records up to 6 hours in "normal" (VOB) mode, and allows import of bitmaps for creation of custom menus. Also, you can attach a keyboard for titling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.