AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted part of this concern once before and got no response so I thought I'd try again. I recently bought a 7200 and I have concerns about whether or not something is wrong based on the level calibration I'm getting. When I do levels on any of the 7 channel dsp modes I use the internal test tones and a RS SPL meter set at C weighting, slow response and I'm setting right around 74dB. In order to get the sufficient spread on the channels I have to set the master volume at -5dB. The levels will typically end up something like this,

LF -3dB

C -2dB

RF +10dB

RS -2dB

RR -1dB

LR -2dB

LS -3dB

They vary slightly from mode to mode but the important thing is that the RF always is maxed at +10dB or +9dB and I basically have to crank the master to get it to go to 74 or 75 dB on the meter and then set the others accordingly.

I know that room acoustics has a great deal to do with this. The room is about 12x24 with 7 1/2 foot ceiling. Pretty live walls, no big drapes or anything. The back of the room is a little odd shaped with an alcove but nothing dramatic. The room has a L shaped couch and a nice padded chair somewhat balanced in the room. The front three feet of the room is elevated about 8" where the Hitachi57" is and the Rocket 750's with a SVS sub. Rocket Dipoles on the walls to either side of the couch and Rocket 250's at the back. Bigfoot on the TV.

Here's the concern. Actually two of them. With relatively balanced room acoustics is there anyway I should be seeing the spread on level that I am? I forgot to mention that when I calibrate the 6ch analog input the levels are all within 3dB of each other including the RF. The second concern is that this receiver should be capable of blowing the door off the room but with certain inputs (cable TV) I can run it up to 0 and it is certainly loud but not painfully so.

I've had a running e-mail with HK but really haven't gotten anywhere yet.

Any advice or comments would be welcome.

·
Registered
303 Posts
First the "is it plugged in" test: check the balance control knob on the front of the receiver. When I first set up my HK 325, it was cranked all the way to the right and I was having similar problems.

Check to make sure your RF speaker is wired in phase.

Swap your left and right speakers to eliminate the possibility of there being a problem with your speaker.

As for cable, make sure that dolby compression (night mode) is turned off. Again, I had a similar problem, but my dolby compression was turned on. Also, remember that cable is very compressed. Often the audio just gets trashed.

Regards,

Karl

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
Something is very strange here...

The 7200 has more horsepower (watts) than virtually any other AVR an to have 1 channel requiring such a high boost doesn't make sense.. On the surface it would appear than your right channel has some acoustic hole, that simply requires more level. A couple of dB could be considered a normal adjustment but 5dB or more is excessive. Therefore I would suggest a couple of things....

1. Try moving the position of the Right speaker to an alternate location, the speaker tends to couple with the closest wall or corner for its output renforcement. Here just lengthen the speaker cable several feet and try various positions.

2. Try in a 2 channel/stereo playback and see what the channel balance is

3. Try swapping the 7200 speaker outputs between the Front left and right, just to make sure the 7200 Right amplifier isn't weaker for some reason, this will also verify if the left and right speakers are of equal effieciency.

Also the other comments relative to Balance Control position were excellant inputs as well..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I'm embarrassed to admit that I never thought of checking the balance knob. I'm at the office right now but it is the first thing on my list when I get home. All of my gear is in the room next to the home theater using an IR setup so I hardly ever look at the equipment. I do everything by remote. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If that is in fact the problem, don't be embarrassed - I did the same thing. In fact, be glad that it is not a more serious problem like a busted speaker or amp.

On the 325, you can make an adjustment that disables the bass, treble and balance controls. I have a 3 year old daughter who likes to play with those knobs, so I disabled mine.

Let us know what you find out.

Regards,

Karl

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Karl,

Well you nailed it and let's just put this one in the "Please don't tell my wife because I'll never here the end of it" category. the balance knob was about half way to the left side. I centered it and now everything calibrates out to a 3dB spread and I've been able to lower the master set point I use to -10dB and with all channels from 0 to +2db I've got power to spare. I don't think I could run it up to 0 now without breaking something in the house. And the sound? Just glorious. If they had only put a test tone in for the sub so I don't have to keep switching to the Avia. I find it curious as to why they bothered with a balance knob at all. The tone controls I can kind of see but the balance makes no sense. Couple this with the fact that you can't get a test tone on the 2ch stereo levels screen and you kind of scratch your head.

Anyway thanks again and I'm going to just keep muttering to myself..."check it all and check it twice.."

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yea, Brian-------

DON'T TELL YOUR WIFE. You'll messs it up for all of us. (we ALREADY have enough trouble with the summer BBQ) :confused: (burned again?!!)

I'm glad you got it working. I have the 7200 also and I'm very happy.

have a nice day at the office!

·
Registered
101 Posts
question about surround settings: right now i just have 2 main speakers and the center channel (the surrounds and sub will wait for a while ). which mode would you recommend for watching movies, dolby 3 stereo, vmax or neo6-3 channel. can u explain the differences between them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.