AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
*sigh* Can't have radiated people running around in North Jersey. Things are tough enough up there already :p

I hope they can work something out or other options become available (cable, sat, ...).

-Greg

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Apart from a few VERY well-to-do residents, the people who would be most affected by any alleged "radiation" at Alpine would be the Boy Scouts of America. I often hiked past the tower on my way to the Scout camp.

I certainly don't want to see anyone deprived of "due process" but this sounds like political malarkey (sp?) The town needs to make sure that any changes are temporary (like less than three years -- by then everyone will have moved back to NYC -- maybe Empire.)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
This is getting so silly. I will admit that the "radiation" is clearly stronger very near the source, but have any of these groups ever stopped to think that every terrestrial and satellite broadcast that their radio or TV can pick up, plus probably double that in cell phones and other communications is flying right into their bodies all day every day?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Now that television broadcasters serving NYC and environs have run afoul of tower restriction issues similar to those the Denver broadcasters have been contending with for the last few years it will be interesting to see if the FCC is any more willing to delve into the traditional "state's rights" issues affecting towers and the resultant ability of state and local laws and their interpretations to restrict RF transmission.

Personally, I think not. That's unfortunate - unless it's your back yard that is being protected.

·
Banned
992 Posts
I'm guessing people will have to get Congress involved before the FCC would do that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Akenyon
Now that television broadcasters serving NYC and environs have run afoul of tower restriction issues similar to those the Denver broadcasters have been contending with for the last few years it will be interesting to see if the FCC is any more willing to delve into the traditional "state's rights" issues affecting towers and the resultant ability of state and local laws and their interpretations to restrict RF transmission.

Personally, I think not. That's unfortunate - unless it's your back yard that is being protected.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Except for CBS. looks like that will be the end of HDTV from NYC for a very, very long time. Permits or not, officials probably do not want the additional transmitters located there and are using "interpretation" of a ruling to back up their desire.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Any bets that these officials drive around with little American Flags on their cars? Yea, they'll "support the USA" when it doesn't involve actually doing something. But when it involves something they can do, like helping people in the whole NYC area try to get back to normal by streamlining a bureaucratic process and not caving in to irrational, unfounded fearas about "radiation", they run chicken. How sad.

·
Registered
651 Posts
It only took about 2Y to get the DTV antenna on top of

WTC. I wouldn't be suprised if it takes another 2 for the

new location to go live.

Anyway, there is nothing to watch there ... I do miss Leno :)

in HD.

You have to understand that Alpine is a community of

$1M+ houses (one can find $2-4M estates there as well).

My point ? If the residents of wonderful Alpine dont want

it, we won't get it. Heck if they want it, they will rename NYC

into something else ... :)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rashid11
Anyway, there is nothing to watch there ... I do miss Leno :)

in HD.
You're kidding, right? Not being able to watch ABC-HD is killing me! I was so much looking forward to "The Practice" in HD this year, in addition to "NYPD Blue". I'm also growing fond of "Alias", "Philly", and "Thieves".

Not to mention all the PBS-HD programming we're missing, and WNYE-DT is showing no indication of going back to HD mode anytime soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alpine has been a hot spot for years. When Major Armstrong was broadcasting FM on both bands in 1954, he had close to 100KW total of radiated power on the air but there was no expensive housing in the area then.

In 1978 I built a cable channel which became USA network in the Major's old lab. We sent the air feed by microwave to 2 Penn Plaza NY which relayed it to RCA Vernon Valley for Uplink.

When we installed a 7 meter TVRO (remember Satcom 1 was real QRP back then) just to keep an eye on the downlink signal we got into big trouble with the Alpine planning board. It took months to get the point across that there is no radiation from receive antennae.

AT&T had a TD2 microwave station a few miles north of the Armstrong lab since 1950 and they also had ongoing trouble with the town. That AT&T Long Lines station is now owned by ATC and they are also trying to get approval to raise that tower for possible future analog/digital TV broadcasting.

JT

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:
"... a 1989 Superior Court order allows his client to place new equipment on the tower to accommodate new users -- as long as there is "minimal" change to the structure of the tower. "

I'm not a lawyer but I think "higher radiation" is not a structural change.
The structural changes to the tower result from broadcast antennas and transmission lines that are needed to feed them from ground based transmitters. Both of these components are large and heavy due to the high levels of RF energy they have to handle.

On a tower, there are basically two structural considerations: Wind loading and weight. Most high-powered television transmission line is six and one-eighth inches in diameter...made of very heavy copper. A twenty foot section weighs approximately 210 pounds. On the Alpine tower, if you string, say, 400 feet of this, your are looking at two tons of additional weight to the tower which does not include the weight of the antenna. That six and an eighth inch diameter also presents a surface to the wind: When the wind is blowing it places a horizontal force on all the surfaces of the tower. If the capacity of the tower is exceeded, there is a failure and a large scrap operation shortly thereafter. That is, when you are talking about even temporary facilities (smaller antennas and transmission lines) on the Alpine tower for WABC-TV, WNBC-TV, WNET-TV, WNJU-TV and WPIX-TV, there is a significant increase in the structural loading of the tower.

There is good news...the TV All-Industry Committee has launced a major study of the Empire State Building. The article http://www.tvinsite.com/broadcasting...ate=10/22/2001 in last week's Broadcasting & Cable details the efforts.

- Peter Dennant

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.