AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a replacement lead to hook up my dvd player to my amp, its a 2 phono analogue lead, i use this for listening to cd's only.

Ive seen an article about attenuated interconnects that reduce the output signal so as not to overload the amp.

details here : http://www.russandrews.com/download/wired_for_sound.pdf

My amp outputs a 2.0v (rms) signal, my receiver is rated at 335mv, using the table in the wired for sound pdf file, i need a -11db cable.

I have been offered a -16/-14db cable for a good price.

So my questions are: Do you agree with the attenuated cable idea ?

Would the -16/-14db cable be ok for my system ?

thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
No, I do not agree with the "attenuated cable idea." A cable should never be used as an attenuator. If attenuation is necessary, it should be done in the components themselves.

That guy Russ Andrews is lying. In the pdf you link to, he talks about directionality of cables and burn-in for cables. There is simply no empirical basis for these phenomena. I would never, ever give him any money because he has zero credibility when he starts talking about those things.

Tim

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree with nutt.

Russ Andrews is spewing out a bunch of marketing B.S. There are more hype and false information in that article than there is practical and truthful information.

Attenuated cables? So they solder in a couple of resistors to make a voltage divider, which costs them less than 5cents, and charge about 30% more for the cable? Just another scam.

Unless you're actually hearing distortion/clipping when listening at normal levels, don't even bother with attenuated cables. And even then, there might be a digital volume control in your DVD/CD player that can solve the so-called problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your opinion guys, this cable has received very good reviews in UK Hi-Fi mags, maybe not the attenuated version.

Does what russ andrews is saying about overloading the amp make sense ?

thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
"Does what russ andrews is saying about overloading the amp make sense ?"

No. If your amplifier was really overloading, the effect of that would not be:

"The Effect: The effect of dynamic overload is to reduce dynamic range, mask differences in the music, cables, mains, support etc, flatten the soundstage from 3 to 2 dimensions, add bright hardness (or sometimes dullness), and reduce bass extension. Worst of all, it takes the musicality out of the music."

The effects of overload would be very obvious distortion. The music would not sound slightly worse in some way that requires a lot of adjectives to get the point across. It would sound like $hit.

I do not doubt that these cables got good reviews in a magazine. But I also have no doubt that Russ Andrews is lying. That document is not just marketing hype, it is a lie. There is a difference. Hyping products is one thing, but what is in that document should be illegal.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.