AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting an antenna for my attic to pull in OTA channels for HD. I'm using a set top antenna (Zenith Silver Sensor) right now and am getting tired of having to move it around each time I want to watch a HD show OTA (I can get the major channels most of the time with a little tweaking of the antenna).

I have the following:

Sony KP51SW510 (RPTV)

Samsung TS-160 (Set top HD/Direct TV receiver box)

I live in Stockton, CA (zip code 95219). I checked antennaweb.org and all the stations are:

* within 18-20 miles

* all UHF

* All within a few degrees (between 312 and 323 degrees)

* all within the Yellow range (the closest range)

Which antenna would you recommend for my needs. (Keeping in mind it will go in the attic of my 2 story house).

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!!!!

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Garrett,

Thanks for the tip. Does your friend get everything easily? The reason I ask, is I'll have to use a diplexer to split the Direct TV signal in the attic and another diplexer to split the signal back out near the TV. I've been told this might weaken the signal.

Thanks again...

· Registered
15 Posts
I am watching this thread...I would like to take the plunge with HDtv. I live in the north part of Lodi, pratically in Woodbridge. I have been told my position is pretty good for reception (heck, I can almost see the towers).

It would have to be an attic antenna.

Hope you get good results.

Alex in 95242

· Registered
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ffrllc

Thanks for the tip. Does your friend get everything easily? The reason I ask, is I'll have to use a diplexer to split the Direct TV signal in the attic and another diplexer to split the signal back out near the TV. I've been told this might weaken the signal.
Two diplexers will reduce the signal from the antenna by about 3 dB. I'm curious.... if you already have DirecTV (with a dish that I'm assuming is mounted outdoors), why can't the antenna also be outdoors? It's very likely that you'll be better off using a smaller outdoor antenna than a larger antenna installed in the attic.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The house was pre-wired and all wiring is inside the house. The main box I need to get to is very close to the attic and I can get to it from the attic. It was complicated (or so the tech claimed) to get my Direct TV hooked up (and yes it is mounted outside).

I've now learned it's not as difficult as I was once told to run another line from the main box to my downstairs room (even doing it through the walls).

Now, the reason to do it in the attic is because it will be much easier for ME to do. I'm not far from the towers and should be fine with an attic antenna (from what I've been told). I can simply place the antenna in my attic pointed in the correct direction myself. Then connect the antenna cable to the Direct TV cable that is also coming through the attic (from the outside dish) via a diplexer. Then use a second diplexer at the cable going into the TV room and WALAHHH...DONE (don't worry, I know things are never that easy, but this is the way it should work anyway...lol).

Let me know if there's anything critically wrong with my thinking or the things I've been told.

Thanks again everyone for all the great advice !!!!!!!!!!!

This site is AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.