AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone in the Bridgewater NJ area recommend a good attic antenna?

I live in townhouse community and can't place an antenna outside, although I do have a storage attic that I can place the antenna in.

I've already tried to place a Wingrad combination VHF/UHF antenna in the attic with little sucess. This antenna came with my DSS install and I feel that it isn't up to the job. (the UHF portion is probably no bigger then 3 or 4 feet) I've gotten anywhere from a 9 signal strength to a 50 strengh on CBS but have recently not been able to place it anywhere in the attic and get more then a 9 or ten.

I've gone to antennaweb and titantv and got their recommandations for an antenna. Both of them recommend a combo antenna. Do I need one of these since I only need to pick up the UHF band? Since there are a lot of rafters I'd rather not have the large VHF arrays when I am not going to use them (and they'll just get in the way)

Would a simple radio shack UHF Yagi do a better job? (I assume the bigger the better?)

I've also heard good things about Channel master antennas, again can anyone recommend a good model.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

-Keith

[This message has been edited by Rutgersfan (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your on the right path. To get the Phila stations you need only a UHF antenna. I have the basic Radio shack model (mounted outside) and it works fine. The largest UHF antenna you can fit in the attic, pointed at the Roxy towers would seem the way to go. The Channel Master 4248 gets a lot of favorable comments. Radio Shack has a flexible return policy. I suggest you search this forum for past posts, there are a lot of them regarding

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gboot,

Any sucess getting the NYC stations? I was looking primarly to get the NY stations as opposed to the phila station. I'd also figure the NY stations would have a stronger signal and would better get through the attic.

-Keith

·
Registered
100 Posts
I live along the Delaware river about 20 miles south of you on the PA side. I have a Radio Shack u-75r (not sure the model #) UHF only antenna in my attic pointed at NYC. I get all of the New York HD stations except for the PBS one very well. Signal is above 60 on all and some, like CBS are in the upper 80's low 90s. I really like this antenna and it was only $20 or $30. I'm using a dish 6000.

chad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.