AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to put a UHF antenna in my attic. My house has aluminum siding, but there is a wood tressel in my attic facing the direction I need to point the antenna to. My house is between 25-30 miles from the transmitters.

I am thinking about the following Channel Master UHF antennas:

3021 (45 miles)

4221 (45 miles)

4308 (30 miles)

or maybe the 4228 (60 miles).

Will any or all of these likely work in my attic?

· Registered
472 Posts
YES !!!!

· Registered
734 Posts
You might be interested in looking at my antenna page for more information on an attic installation.

Since this was written, I have moved my antenna outside and mounted it on the side of my chimney. I now get higher reception numbers on the LA stations, but my reception of the local PBS station has dropped and I can no longer get the local WB station. I still can't get the local NBC station.

I just found out that I can add the HDTV package to my Time-Warner cable basic service for only $6/mo., so I'm going to that solutino for local HDTV.

· Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TomF
You might be interested in looking at my antenna page for more information on an attic installation.
Thanks, TomF!

It looks like the 3021 for me. I don't think the 4228 will fit through the hatchway to my attic.

One other question. Does the antenna have to be mounted vertically? Your pictures shows it mounted with the long-side going from top to bottom. Can I mount the long-side going across (left to right)? The reason I am asking is my wood tressel is wider than tall, if you know what I mean.

Also, what (if any) is the difference between the 3021 and the 4221? They appear to be identical.

· Registered
943 Posts
Yes the antenna needs to be vertical. TV signals are horizontally polorized, so the antenna will loose almost all of its gain if turned sideways.

The 3021 and 4221 are identical. Don't know why they have two numbers for the same model. But I think it will be a great choice for your attic

· Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rickypicky
It looks like the 3021 for me. I don't think the 4228 will fit through the hatchway to my attic.
If you have about 21" diagonal, maybe you can. See this thread on the same subject.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...92#post2661292

Gary

· Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to put a UHF antenna in my attic. My house has aluminum siding, but there is a wood tressel in my attic facing the direction I need to point the antenna to.
If you're saying that the antenna would actually be pointing through the roofing material instead of aluminum siding, then yes, it would work, unless you have a metal roof.

Others in this forum have reported that the CM 4228 works better in the attic than a CM4221/3021. If your stations are in one direction, I would get the 4228.

· Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
If you're saying that the antenna would actually be pointing through the roofing material instead of aluminum siding, then yes, it would work, unless you have a metal roof.
Thanks for the response.

No, the antenna would not be pointing through the roofing material. If you are looking at the front of the house, the roof looks like an inverted "V". The antenna needs to be pointed out of the front of the house. The "tressel" I tried to describe is located at the "top" (narrow end) of the inverted "V". There is a tressel in the front of the house and in the back of the house. They are there to vent hot air out of the attic. Does this make sense?

Also, the 4228 won't fit through the entrance to the attic, otherwise I would get it.

· Registered
10,880 Posts
If the gable end of the house (inverted "V" as you called it) is covered with aluminum siding and you will be pointing it toward the gable end, the siding may cause reception problems.

· Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
If the gable end of the house (inverted "V" as you called it) is covered with aluminum siding and you will be pointing it toward the gable end, the siding may cause reception problems.
The gable end of the house has a wooden tressel (or is it trellis?) starting at the peak and going down about 30". My plan is to put the antenna up high enough to point out the tressel. Does this make any sense?

· Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
The gable end of the house has a wooden tressel (or is it trellis?) starting at the peak and going down about 30". My plan is to put the antenna up high enough to point out the tressel. Does this make any sense?
You'll just have to try it. No one can predict the outcome from this forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.