AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a no-brainer to some but not to me. I want to make sure I am doing everything properly so as not to damage my equipment. Do attic mount antennas need to be grounded?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
No real requirement to ground the mast of an indoor antenna in the NEC (electrical code), other than the generic requirement to ground "electrically conductive material that are likely to become energized". But I think it's pretty unlikely for a mast in most attics to become energized.

Note the code grounding requirement is mainly in place to protect people, not equipment.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Barry. I had not planned on grounding the antenna but I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't ground my antenna when I installed it about a year ago, my receiver hasn't broken, so I guess you don't need to.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
One reason for grounding outside antennas is to bleed off static electricity buildup caused by wind. This should not be an issue with an attic antenna, so I wouldn't bother grounding an attic antenna.

I would NOT leave an outdoor antenna ungrounded or improperly grounded (not bonded to power).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.