AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum - I wasn't sure there was a more appropriate place.

I live in Aliso Viejo in Southern CA. The housing associations here are extremely strict and I don't believe I'll be able to get approval for an external OTA antenna.

I think I'll end up having to put the antenna in the attic, but I'm worried about attenuation. I'm not familiar with the attenuation characteristics of modern roofing tiles (my house is just over a year old) but in the UK where I'm from originally I know that the attenuation with their roofing tiles is severe. Is it the case here?

Looking at antennaweb.org I am told I would need a 'Medium Directional Antenna with Pre-Amp'. Would it be sufficient to step up to the next size antenna?

I'm not looking for cast-iron answers here - I'm aware that this stuff is absolutely dictated on a case-by-case basis. I'd just appreciate some general advice about locating these antennas in the attic.

Andy.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have found that attic installations give about 1/3 signal attenuation. That is, you signal will be 2/3 of an outdoor antenna. This is an average.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Some studies have shown about a 17 dB (95%) loss. Also, many roofs are being done with metal. And, some insulation has aluminum, or tin, foil backing.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It will vary..the loss..from indoor antenna so, if at all possible, get that antenna outside; a highly directional one with a rotator and as much height as you can get..for any signals over 25 miles, let us say. You must have a reasonable clean line of sight between antenna head and transmitters. In most areas, a UHF (only) antenna should be enough.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking to use the antenna to feed an HDTV pc-based card.

Unfortunately I'm on the side of a hill, and after looking at the maps again at antennaweb.org I believe that the hill is directly between me and the transmitter - arghhh!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyS
I live in Aliso Viejo in Southern CA. The housing associations here are extremely strict and I don't believe I'll be able to get approval for an external OTA antenna.
Are you aware that your association probably has no say in the matter? Some forum member usually jumps in with a reference to the FCC regulation that gives you the upper hand. I don't have it handy.

Gerald C

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the info Gerald. Yes - a forum member mentioned that earlier in this thread and gave me a URL with the information.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Figure, very roughly, 15-20 dB, from field test results I've seen.

And yes, Federal Law always trumps HOA restrictions. Those restrictions became null and void when the Telecommunications Act of 1996 was passed, although some HOA still have them on the books (just as some still have rules prohibiting minorities, which became void when the 1964 Civil Rights Act was passed).

·
Registered
987 Posts
Research all that effects you!

Be aware that the antenna MUST be on you building that you own.

Also HOA's have had some of their restrictions upheld like placement.

ie: if the same signal can be had if placed on the side or rear verses the front of the building.

As stated, the law states that the HOA can not "stop" you from putting up an antenna for local reception on your owned building, but, can regulate placement if they can prove same or better signals with less "eye sore".

It is always good to ask first what you can and can not do.

If the answer is no, no, no, then the law is on your side.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that they cannot choose another place of equal reception if it would be more expensive than the original installation. Although they might get away with it if they pay the expenses.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
George is right - My HOA still has the rules on antennas on the books (would require a 2/3 vote to change the covenants) and I am on the board. The fact that the rule on antennas is there does not make them enforceable.

Reggie

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm in San Clemente and antennaweb.org had the same antenna recommendation for me. I decided to get a indoor antenna (Silver Sensor) just to see if I could get any UHF signal at all. Despite being in a valley that doesn't appear to have a line of site to the transmitters, I got a perfectly clear picture on channel 28 on the first floor of my house. This was in the middle of the kitchen. I then went to Circuit City and bought a HDTV receiver and hooked it up (Zenith HDV420). With the Silver Sensor sitting on top of the TV I pull in all the LA HD stations. KTLA shows as 100% on the signal strength meter! All others are between 70-100.

I suggest you try this also. If it doesn't work out you can always return the antenna to CC.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great idea! I'll give the internal antenna a go first, and then if that doesn't work I'll get a larger antenna for the attic. If I still can't get a decent picture I should be able to use that same antenna outdoors.

Thanks to all who posted - as usual on this forum I've learned a lot!

Andy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.