Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Blight,

I have uncovered an error in the Trailer support for ZoomPlayer. This happens with both Beta3 and RC1.

The particular way to produce the bug is to play through the trailer, and once the DVD comes up (ie. the FBI warnings or such), press stop, and then press play again. You'll get the trailer again fine, but as soon as the DVD comes up again the system crashes (freezes) hard.

My particular config is:

- Windows 2000

- Autoplay off (you must press play to start the trailers and movie)

- 1 Random Trailer in the .trailers config file

- Cineplayer for Game Theater XP filter type (SBLive S/PDIF output)

BTW Is this the best way to get bug reports to you, or should I PM you or go to the Inmatrix forum?

Thanks,

Andy K.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Inmatrix forum is the best way to report bugs as it doesn't have the same traffic as AVSForum and less messages slip through.

And by "system crashes", you mean ZP crashes, or your entire OS?

If it's the OS, it may be a hardware thing...

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean the whole system crashes. In one case (5th element) I get the first 1/2 second of audio from the Columbia Pictures opening screen before it crashes, so it could possibly be related to that.

Are you unable to replicate the problem?

Thanks,

Andy K.

·
Registered
192 Posts

but as soon as the DVD comes up again the system crashes (freezes) hard.

I have the same problem. My system will also reboot as well. It is very strange, since I have Win2K. It only happens if I use the trailers feature. I have a pretty stable system with no lock ups at all other than that.

Running:

Win2K

SB Live 5.1

Cinemaster Video, WinDVD 3.0 Audio

Radeon LE w/ 6071 drivers

Zoom Player RC2

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took a moment to debug it last night. Its the Cinemaster Video Filter. Using any other Video filter (PowerDVD, WinDVD) works fine. Using the Cinemaster Audio filter with any other Video filter works fine. What Cinemaster Video filter are you using? Mine is out of the ATI 5.1 DVD Player.

Shame that the Cinemaster gives arguably the best quality, but its by far the least stable of the three. This is the straw that broke the camels back, and I'm back to using the WinDVD filter.

Blight, I am getting intermittent pop-up window errors from Zoom Player, of two different types:

- "Abstract Error"

- "Access Violation at Address ########"

I dont know how to go about debugging them, but could you add an option to ZP to suppress these pop-up windows? The Player continues to work fine after the error and suppressing them with Girder is problematic and not very stable.

Thanks,

Andy K.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Actually I just solved the problem. You have to disable /DVD after zoom player.exe. I have a shortcut key that I use with Airboard to launch zoomplayer.exe /dvd /play /z /pr:0 and it's programmed on my remote control. I just removed the DVD part and I no longer have that problem. Stopped it about twenty times in a row and no system crash. It used to always after the first time. I am using Cinemaster MMC7.6 filter. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aha, that could be it. I'll give that a try tonight. Brings up the obvious problem: How can you guarantee that ZP will come up in DVD mode then? Since DVD Mode is the only mode that shows the Splash Screen (which I have made a nice custom one in place of the White Zoom Player one), its nice to be able to come up in that mode.

Either that, or have the splash screen come up even in Media Mode?

Andy K.

·
Registered
192 Posts
All you have to do is to make sure that when you last use Zoom Player, that you are playing a DVD. It will remain in DVD mode for the next movie you play. I don't play media files so I don't have to worry about it. It works flawlessly for me.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
kromkamp:

Are you using Win9x?

It looks like all the Zoom Player config dialogs are draining the system resources under non-NT based versions of windows, which can cause weird errors to pop-up.

I'm not quite sure what can be done about this though :( as eliminating selectable features is not an option.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blight, I'm using Windows 2000. I get this error on first startup of Zoom Player, so I dont think its a resource issue.

Wouldnt it be possible to selectively #ifdef out the popup error windows (well, not ifdef but you know what I mean). I mean, are they created by ZP or by Windows?

Andy K.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Created by window ....

Try erasing the ZP registry key at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\VirtuaMedia\\ZoomPlayer

See if that resolves it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
No luck, my Win2k machine reboots everytime I put in a new DVD and after the trailer plays. All other DVD's that have been saved at last stop work just fine. I have to disable trailer feature when I put in a new DVD. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Vertigo:

I don't know what to tell you, Windows should never just "reboot" even if a program is messed up. It usually tells of a hardware or driver issue.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I'll just add my experience, don't know if it might shed some light. This seems to happen when switching to media mode to start the trailer play. Sometimes it doesn't happen, maybe half the time it's ok. As above, it doesn't interfere with playback, just pops the error. My os is XP, 128mb ram.

I can duplicate it about half the time by playing a movie, then stopping in dvd mode and hitting play again to let it start the trailer over. About half the time it happens from starting zoom in dvd mode, when zoom plays the trailer.

"Access violation @ address 00403F12 in module 'zplayer.exe.' Read of address FFFFFFD0.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.