AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this thread belongs in the DVD forum, but since my HS2 and all my DVD media, and soon a CP72 are all ordered from the US, I thought why not.

I was very impressed with the Borderfree service offered by ecost when I ordered by HS2. I ordered it when ecost was backordered, but a month later when I got the unit, the final price delivered to my door was EXACTLY what I was quoted online when submitting the CC info. I was very impressed, esspecially considering that UPS can get nuts when it comes to crossing the border.

Well after doing a little more looking around for a DVD-RAM DVD player, I stumbled upon Etronics. They sell the CP72 for 199, and it's in stock. The key: they also deal with Borderfree for Canadian orders!

So now there are 2. Does anyone know of other online vendors that use BorderFree? Also, what have people's experiences been with etronics in general?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I sort of feel silly now because I looked on BorderFree's site and they list all of the associated vendors. lol

Anyway, the question about etronics still stands...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a note about borderfree, I was playin' with the shopping cart, and noticed that you can get the Panasonic 42" for around $7000CAD (FINALLY PRICE)...just as a comparison, the 42" is currently $7999CAD at Future Shop, BEFORE PST and GST...so for those lookin' for plasmas in Canada, this is a pretty good source...although you'll have to call the manufacturer if they will honour the warranty in Canada...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Felgar
Does anyone know of other online vendors that use BorderFree? Also, what have people's experiences been with etronics in general?
I've done about 12 transactions that have been handled by Borderfree without any problems. It's an easy way for Canadians to get their hands on the Panasonic DMR-HS2 (for example) without a lot of hassles.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
How about etronics? Are they decent? That CP72 is calling my name. :)
My orders have been with e-cost and Dynadirect. However, there are several things from e-tronics that I intend to order. It really should be safe with any of them since the bulk of the order processing (billing, charges, order status, customs clearance etc.) is really handled by Borderfree. Whichever seller that you order from, the order is actually being sold to Borderfree, who then become your "dealer" for the transaction.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha. I'm gonna go ahead and do it. Just 199 for the CP72. But dam, it pisses my off that we can't get those rebates. $30 USD for the CP72, and 5 DVD-R and 5 DVD-RAM for the HS2. That's like $200 CDN of value that I lost just because of my address. Frustrating...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Gotcha. I'm gonna go ahead and do it. Just 199 for the CP72. But dam, it pisses my off that we can't get those rebates. $30 USD for the CP72, and 5 DVD-R and 5 DVD-RAM for the HS2. That's like $200 CDN of value that I lost just because of my address. Frustrating...
There may be a way around the free discs with the HS2. A friend in Ottawa recently ordered the HS2 from e-cost. They were quite willing to issue an e-mail receipt for the purchase. He then checked with Panasonic U.S, who stated that they didn't care where the unit ended up (Canada) or if the actual buyer was in Canada as long as the return address for the rebate/discs went to a U.S. address.

Therefore, if you have someone in the U.S. who is willing to receive the rebate material and forward it to you, you are still "eligible" to take advantage of the offer even though you reside in Canada.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
One minor thing about "rebates". Did you know our government taxes you on the rebate too? For me I was charged full 15% tax on a US$200 rebate (a rebate is not considered the same as a lower selling price). This had happened a few times to me. Not a big deal, but I got PO'ed and issued a court challenge over this a couple years ago. I lost...but the government paid my costs to challenge them, and even helped me present my case! No wonder our taxes are kinda high...and they grab whenever they can.

So, if there's a circumstance where you *can* get the rebate, try to get the rebate applied at the point of sale to save the most bucks. Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input!!! I actually had the 1-800 number down for Panasonic rebates, but it's hard to make those type of calls within business hours given my current work situation. I'm sure I can find someone to take delivery. Whoo hoo!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.