AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the new Catalyst drivers (4.10) break HDTV via DXVA for you as well?

I would fire up the app and all would be well for about 5-10 seconds then hard crash of the app requiring an "End Task" from the Task Manager.

This issue went away once I reverted to the 4.9 driver.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes - I had to go back to 4.9.

It also messed up WMV9 HD playback (same crash problem). I fixed that problem by bumping up my AGP aperture settings in the BIOS. However, it didn't fix the problem with my Fusion.

The "good" news is that ATI VPU recovery thing actually worked. I got a message from it each time my video playback apps crashed. Unfortunately, I don't have any email accounts on my HTPC, so I couldn't send the crash logs to Ati =(

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the VPU recovery did the same thing for me too, but the Fusion task still remained and was using 99% of the CPU which was why I had to end it vis Task Manager.

VPU Recovery did manage to send the crash log to ATi so hopefully they'll release a hot fix or something.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I haven't been able to use anything past 4.5 with DxVA. Using DxVA with anythying newer causes periodic stuttering. I figured this was becuase they changed something in the DxVA portion of the driver to support the HDTV wonder.

So you guys aren't having any hiccups with 4.6 - 4.9?

RG

·
Registered
703 Posts
You guys are scaring me. :) I currently have a Radeon LE and an old catalyst driver (3.something) and I get perfectly smooth playback of files. No stuttering, and that's with a relatively slow 1 Ghz Intel CPU. If I replace the LE with the much faster 9600XT and get stuttering, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every driver up until 4.7 had vertical jitter problems when displaying 1080i material, but worked fine otherwise.

4.7 solved the vertical jitter problem once and for all for me (mighty convenient for them to fix it shortly before the release of their own HDTV tuner card), and 4.8-4.9 had the same awesome quality.

4.10 was a disaster, with hard crashing of the Fusion app after just a few seconds of DXVA viewing.

My advise to anyone with a Radeon 9500/9700 is to stick with the 4.9 driver.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey guys,

Got a quick question that seems to fit in this thread.

I have a Fusion3 coupled with a Nvidia Geforce TI4200. Because the 4200 doesn't have DxVA, I have to run in software mode.

I can record 720p programs fine but recording a full bitrate 1080i program (from NBC specifically) constantly crashes my whole system using the Fusion. I'm guessing this has to do with running in Software mode while recording (not absolutely sure of that though, kinda grasping for straws).

Therefore, I was gonna pick up a new vid card with DxVA. All I use this computer (not my regular HTPC) is for recording HD, so games aren't an issue. I searched the forums and can't find a definitive as to what Radeon cards have DxVA.

Do all cards above 9000 have DxVA? Price is a real issue, so I want to go as cheap as possible. Any suggestions would be helpful.

haubrija

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by haubrija
Do all cards above 9000 have DxVA? Price is a real issue, so I want to go as cheap as possible. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I also have a Ti4200, when I bought my Fusion and found out it didn't fully support DXVA I swapped it out with the Radeon DDR 32MB I had lying around and it worked perfectly with the Fusion but was much slower than the Ti4200 when it came to games. I finally ended up getting the Radeon 9500 I'm currently using for its gaming speed and full DXVA support.

Since you don't have any gaming needs for your PC with the Fusion I'd recommend you pickup the cheapest Radeon card you can find because best as I can tell they all should fully support DXVA.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 9600Pro... downgraded to 4.7 drivers. I was watching time-shifted HD football yesterday and whenever I was wasn't on realtime, it was stuttering like crazy. A few times the app actually crashed with no error at all... just dumped me out to the desktop.

Has anyone else experienced these type of issues?

A7N8X Deluxe, 3200+

9600Pro

1GB RAM

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I thought it was just my system, I am running the ATI Cat 8.07 betas and Fusion playback DxVA mode causes both stutter and lock ups for me as well. So I have had to use normal mode set to highest but even at highest there is still a reduction in PQ vs DxVA mode.

I wonder if there is a registry setting we could mess with or perhaps customize the driver by editing the DxVA portion back to the way it was in 4.5?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Rick Guynn said "I haven't been able to use anything past 4.5 with DxVA. Using DxVA with anything newer causes periodic stuttering."

It's the same here. I have a Fusion QAM III, Radeon 9600, Athlon 2400+. I skipped some Catalyst releases, but I tried going from 4.2 to 4.6 and got stuttering. 4.7 was the same. So I'm stuck at 4.2 for the time being.

John

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anyone try the 4.12 betas yet? http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4701.html

I've got a 9800pro and have had stuttering on 1080i programs with 4.9 and 4.10. 4.11 wouldn't display the screen at 1080i in MCE2005 (just got a black screen with audio).

I've had some extra hardware to play with over the past few weeks and the 1080i stutter problem happened on a Fusion 2, Fusion 3 Gold QAM-T and ATI HDTV Wonder. So, this clearly appears to be a Catalyst driver problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the Radeon 9800 Pro and my FusionHDTV 3 Gold QAM with any of the recent Catalyst releases. I'm currently using version 4.11 with DXVA enabled and I get no stuttering, or any problem whatsoever, with 1080i programs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.